Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
lunchbox1988

Eeepc - Owners And Wanters Thread.

Does you has a EEE?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an EEEPC - If so which one/s?

• E1000H AtomHDD Version
    • E1000 Atom SSD Version
    • E901 Atom SSD
    • E904 Celeron HDD Version
    • E70x Celeron Tiny SSD Version
  2. 2. What OS do you use?

• Windows VIsta (any)
    • Windows XP (any)
    • Xandros (Default)
    • Xandros (standard)
    • Xandros Custom Flavour
    • Ubuntu (standard)
    • UbuntuEEE
    • EEEbuntu
    • EEEXubuntu
    • EEEKubuntu
    • Ubuntu (other flavour / custom)
    • Redhat
    • Mandriva
    • Lindows
    • MintOS
    • CentOS
    • ReactOS Beta
    • Debian (EEE Project or other)
    • Other (please specify)

Okay, there were countless threads in the old forum with people occasionally discussing the EEE.

I would like to start this thread as a way for EEE users of atomic to get together to discuss their EEE and mods, Operating systems and gadgets for the EEE.

Feel free to ask about it if you don't have one and want to know something about it.

Mine can be seen in my sig for specs, so I won't post it in the actual post.

Now, commence.

EDIT: Update-

Here is a list of games that I enjoy playing on my 1000H and whether or not they work on earlier models (according to what I found when I had a 701);

Audiosurf - Works brilliantly on the 1000 and moderate to great on the 701 depending on overclock.

Elastomania - Also brilliant, but on both. Fun little game that kills time.

Portal - Laggy on 1000H, not playable at all on 701 - actually crashes.

Soldat - Plays well on both, slightly better on 1000H due to faster GPU.

Quake 3 - Played well on 701, not played it on the 1000H yet, but assume it would be fine.

UT 2003 - Works on the 701 - testing it on the 1000H when I get the time.

WoW - Works on 1000H - get anywhere from 2fps in built up crowded areas to 21fps in quiet spots.

Anyone that wishes to add to the list, let me know which EEE you played it on and how it went.

Updated;

Included options for OS in Poll, please PM me or post in thread if there is an important OS Distro I may have missed.

Edited by lunchbox1988

I'm expecting to take delivery of an eeePC 900 tonight and I'm a total linux n00b so I'm looking forward to mucking around with it, and seeing what can be done. This thread is well timed.

I noticed a lot of talk about eeebuntu in one of the old threads. Is it still the alternate OS/distro of choice for the eeePC?

To be honest I haven't done much to my 1000H except add a 2GB memory module. I want to put Ubuntu onto it but just haven't had the inclination to do so at this point.

www.eeeuser.com is pretty good.

I own a 1000h

Yea, it is good, but I want to know what atomicans are doing with EEEPCs.

Hopefully, someone can tell me also, if they have come up with a cooly dock / case idea for the EEEPC to help with external storage and cooling.

Yea, it is good, but I want to know what atomicans are doing with EEEPCs.

Hopefully, someone can tell me also, if they have come up with a cooly dock / case idea for the EEEPC to help with external storage and cooling.

I use it for monash uni, mainly matlab programming + other misc work (still first year so no tough stuff yet). I would rather a larger laptop for work but i have a full size desktop for that.

And as for the dock just use some lego or something to stick ur usb plug and ac plug together. Have the usb plug go to a usb hub. I dont see why cooling is a issue if its docked, just have it sitting above the ground a lil bit.

All in all you would need AC, VGA and USB and then ur set to go so making a dock wouldnt be worth it really.

I have one of the orginal 701's and dammit... I just posted a question in the old forum today asking about getting a new machine grrrrr

Hmm so anyway to repeat myself, I heard off the grape vine that the Eee line was getting a refresh sometime this month. Anyone have any information on this?

I have one of the orginal 701's and dammit... I just posted a question in the old forum today asking about getting a new machine grrrrr

Hmm so anyway to repeat myself, I heard off the grape vine that the Eee line was getting a refresh sometime this month. Anyone have any information on this?

ASUS do have a new lineup coming, most of them appear to be business styled, and aimed for people with more dollars than sense.

I would go a 1000H and maybe throw a seagate, shock resistant 7200RPM in it.

I do too now.

*cries about not having one*

It will pair well with my ASUS A8Jp. But first ... I've got a few bills to clear ...

I have a 1000h and atm am stuck with windows xp as I'm on mum and dad's internet connection. Eventually I'd like to put Ubuntu Eee on it, probably with a dual boot solution at first. I haven't done anything to it

I have Adobe CS3 running on it now and use it for previewing photos and whatnot out in the feild. The sd card reader sure does come in handy.

I'd like to get a vga cord and some audio cords so i can stream movies from my desktop and watch them on the big LCD tv with it.

-X

Should get my black 901 linux version on monday.

buying it second hand with eee ubuntu on it with all the compiz effects and that on it.

got a 2gb kingston ddr2 stick and 16gb trancend sd card for it as well. will be running without a page file to save the ssd drive.

was tossing up getting the 901 or 1000h, but really wanted the small size of the 901, and the solid state drive (save on battery, dont need heaps of space)

nearly tossing up getting a 701 just for the hell of it. down to $265 at MSY now!

cant see why anyone would want a 900 or 1000hd models though...

I've got the eeePC900-W058, and I'm using for bugger all at the moment. It can connect to my wireless network at work perfectly using WPA, but when I try to connect to AP at home using any encryption then it fails to pick up an address from DHCP. Weird. Anyhoo, I think I'll load eebuntu and see if that improves the situation.

When I do get it working then I just plan for it to used for lounge chair surfing and something to keep in touch when travelling.

Honestly, I can't see the point in an SSD model that holds bugger all data.

I am using an 80GB E1000H, and I have 23GB of Comics, 12GB of music, 10GB of tv shows etc and am using vista, it is at a point now where I can do everything I need to, and it isn't limited to a 1.8 inch drive bay, making upgrades damn near impossible.

I am actually looking at getting a shock proof 7200rpm seagate to up the speed a bit, might even go as high as 320GB, but not sure yet.

Honestly, I can't see the point in an SSD model that holds bugger all data.

I am using an 80GB E1000H, and I have 23GB of Comics, 12GB of music, 10GB of tv shows etc and am using vista, it is at a point now where I can do everything I need to, and it isn't limited to a 1.8 inch drive bay, making upgrades damn near impossible.

I am actually looking at getting a shock proof 7200rpm seagate to up the speed a bit, might even go as high as 320GB, but not sure yet.

I never mentioned anything about the 1000h, as i can see where it slots in to the lineup fine.

I said the 1000hd, as in the dothan cored version of the 1000/1000h. Why would anyone want the non atom power sucking version i have no idea.

As for the 900, they should have just held off a little longer and only released the atom versions, not the celeron version.

As I said before, I was thinking about the 1000h, but didnt need the extra space, and didnt want a spinning drive that uses more power than the ssd and is slower. The ssd is fine for what I'm going to be using it for (uni + web browsing on the move).

I have a great desktop computer with 3tb hdd space in it. If I do travel anywhere where im going to need more than 32gb of data (16gb ssd, 16gb sdhc) then i've already got a 250gb 2.5" drive that i can take as well.

Well mine turned up today, and i love it!

you really dont appreciate how small these things are till you actually are using one. bloody tiny!

keyboard will take some getting used to though...

That's pretty... I may wipe my nlited XP from it and give that a try!

I might have to do the same actually. That looks quite spiffy....

Then again... I use mine on the console... so no point really :P

I installed it. It sure does look spiffy. But it runs like a dog. Scrolling the menu makes the transparent background just go black. And it's quite sluggish on my 701 :(

Vista on a 701? (Or was it a higher model?) That'd be pretty slow :S

Im presently installing Xubuntu. And then may give eeebuntu a try. Maybe even try out gOS.