Sign in to follow this  
LordBug

A small request and some info please

Would anyone be able to take a screenshot or two of Classic mode under Windows 7 and chuck it up somewhere?

I've tried Googling, but the only screenshot I found looked pretty horrendous, with the borders bloated out to 10~15pix. I just want to make sure that the Classic look is actually classic classic, not bastardised classic.

Secondly, some stuff about Vista.

Has anyone come across, or done their own comparison of speed differences between x86 and x64? I've got x86 on my laptop, and am thinking of upgrading to x64, but am torn between do it now, or hold off for w7 (When's that meant to be released? I should probably Google it shouldn't I...)

And to round it off, a possibly very dunce-like question regarding Vx64 - Am I right in understanding that the mouse driver that I'm currently using for my Trackball which works under 98se through Vx86 would not work under Vx64?

Cheers in advance. And yes, jeering is allowed for the stupider questions (My intellect shines through! :D)

That's the one I came across previously.

The one with the scary borders, which destroy the classic look.

I want someone with a current version of w7 to confirm for me that that isn't how it looks.

Oh god, I'm an idiot, I just realised that the screenie there has had the border increased in the settings.

I can't decide whether to facepalm or facedesk >_<

Now to see how embarrassing the answers are for the other couple :D

ps Thanks for helping with that one in a roundabout way.

Edited by LordBug

0. Vista 64 is only faster is you use 64 bit optimised software. There's very little 64 bit software around. And even then, the speed increase is marginal. Some 32 bit applications have been found to run slower on 64 due to the larger memory pointers and OS overheads involved.

1. There are many more driver issues with 64 than 32. And also software incompatibilities. Every other month I find out that some software I want to try wont work, or wont work properly, on 64.

2. Whether your specific trackball has a problem (ie there's no 64 driver AND the 32 driver wont work) ... noone knows. The only certain way is to try it, or check with the manufacturer.

3. The only real benefit to choosing 64 over 32 is if you want to use more than the 3.5Gb RAM limit. (I needed it for video editing, so that's why I have it.)

If you don't plan to install the extra ram, don't bother with 64.

Edited by just_some_guy

If you don't plan to install the extra ram, don't bother with 64.

This.

Unless you have lots of RAM, or the need to run 64bit apps, you might actually find x64 ever so slightly slower