dr_zero

UK Content reproduced in Atomic

Which of our beloved writers have been sacked?

You should pay more attention.

Can we have a list?

James Matson(sp?) is the first that comes to mind.

Rob.

given Haymarket is a UK based company, it's not really surprising.

Really? I always thought Atomic was Australian for some reason.

So, I found Haymarket UK's corporate website. This page is particularly interesting. Some hightlights...

Why are we so effective?

Because our creative, sales and management teams are passionate about their subjects and the industries we work within.

No mention there of journalism, unless they count journalism as 'creative', which would be slightly ironic in the context of Atomic.

So we invest in our brands, and demand the highest quality.

Invest, huh. By sacking half the writers, syndicating content from the UK, not fixing broken links in the forums for 6 months, etc etc etc?

Dunno about you guys, but I'm not seeing much 'investment' in Atomic. Rather, the picture I'm getting is that an English company is cutting costs, and wringing the neck of the magazine, while spending as little as possible on it.

This has been coming for a little while now, and was a partnership announced back in Feb:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/135943,mo...ic-content.aspx

More Atomic Content!

By David Hollingworth

Feb 2, 2009 | 15 Comments

Tags: More | Atomic | Content

Atomic announces two exciting new content partnerships.

Atomic is pleased to announce two exciting new partnerships, designed to bring you even more great content!

Custom PC is a well-respected enthusiast-grade computing magazine in the United Kingdom - in fact, it's kind of like a British version of Atomic. We're very chuffed to have entered into a content-sharing arrangement with them, and from the next issue onward (that's 98), and starting soon on the web site, we'll be taking advantage of their in-depth, very detailed hardware round-ups, features and tutorials.

Den of Geek, a sci-fi, fantasy and generally genre website is run by the same publishers as Custom PC, and we've entered into a similar deal with them. We have always wanted to make more of the entertainment content we run on Atomic, and this will allow us to bring you news of the latest movies, television, books and comics, as well as great features on everything from special effects to interviews with top writers in the field. This will go alongside our own genre reporting - we've recently covered both the new Star Trek film and Zack Snyder's upcoming Watchmen adaptation - in the site's Geek > Entertainment section.

And all this on top of the already high-grade technology, hardware, science and computing articles produced by your very own Atomic writers.

given Haymarket is a UK based company, it's not really surprising.

Really? I always thought Atomic was Australian for some reason.

So, I found Haymarket UK's corporate website. This page is particularly interesting. Some hightlights...

Why are we so effective?

Because our creative, sales and management teams are passionate about their subjects and the industries we work within.

No mention there of journalism, unless they count journalism as 'creative', which would be slightly ironic in the context of Atomic.

So we invest in our brands, and demand the highest quality.

Invest, huh. By sacking half the writers, syndicating content from the UK, not fixing broken links in the forums for 6 months, etc etc etc?

Dunno about you guys, but I'm not seeing much 'investment' in Atomic. Rather, the picture I'm getting is that an English company is cutting costs, and wringing the neck of the magazine, while spending as little as possible on it.

*sigh* Yeah, well. Can't say I don't totally disagree with you there.

But at the end of the day this is all the guys at this end have to work with (and us too, to a degree) and they do their utmost to make it go as far as possible.

Which of our beloved writers have been sacked?

You should pay more attention.

Can we have a list?

James Matson(sp?) is the first that comes to mind.

Rob.

And Logan Booker? He hasn't written Fallout in a while...

He moved on, as opposed to being moved on.

He moved on, as opposed to being moved on.

Either way Atomic seems to be going downhill in terms of quality.

all this on top of instead of the already high-grade technology, hardware, science and computing articles produced by your very own Atomic writers.

Fixed.

But at the end of the day this is all the guys at this end have to work with (and us too, to a degree) and they do their utmost to make it go as far as possible.

Yeah, I'm certainly not blaming the poor staff left behind, and trying to produce a quality product under these conditions. It must be demoralising trying to produce a great magazine when the proprietors are intent on running the masthead into the ground. Edited by just_some_guy

write to your local MP

Does she look like the type of person who can fix this?

Posted Image

Thought not...

yeah, I've not been impressed with the content sharing dealio.

I spose some noise about the current economic climate could be spouted, but I'd thought about not renewing before that came to everyone's attention. Anyways, I've got a few magazines left and I'll see how the quality goes over the next little while.

write to your local MP

Posted Image

Thought not...

of course not, she's Tasmanian.

write to your local MP

Posted Image

Thought not...

of course not, she's Tasmanian.

Exactly. I'm not originally from Tassie, so does that still make me Tasmanian? /hopes not.

Here's the guy who could actually do something about it... Kevin Costello, Managing Director, Haymarket Consumer Media.

Posted Image

Looks rather smug, doesn't he.

His email address, should you wish to tell him how you feel about paying for old hand-me-down English content in your Australian magazine, is: kevin.Costello@haymarket.com

Edited by just_some_guy

Here's the guy who could actually do something about it... Kevin Costello, Managing Director, Haymarket Consumer Media.

Posted Image

His email address, should you wish to tell him how you feel about paying for old hand-me-down English content in your Australian magazine, is: kevin.Costello@haymarket.com

Is he related to this smug pile of vegemite slobber?

Posted Image

Glad to see that I'm not the only person to be disappointed by the content sharing aspects. Especially at the price of local talent - and I mean that as when I originally subscribed it was because I was very impressed at the quality of the magazine. Custom PC is OK but I've always thought it was inferior to Atomic. However, it would appear that economies of ownership have no regard for that way of thinking. And as for this being a strategy to bring more content to us, its not and I find it a very disingenuous comment to the readership to portray it that way. Its solely a strategy to reducing the costs of producing reviews on products none of which are available locally. That is to say the imported reviews are on UK products not Australian sold or distributed products, although they may also be available locally they will be from different batches possibly produced at different times and/or on different product revisions (i.e. a UK TV is not an Australian TV despite similar model numbers and its behaviour can be different - a simplified example admittedly). Consequently, how can we know whether or not the review accurately describes the locally available product - if it is even available locally that is.

Without being seen to rant on about this, how can we be reasonably expected to buy a magazine for local content when many of these reviews include products not available here. And to do this as a means around the loss of local and talented reviewers. Without seeming to be overstating the matter I think this is a very concerning route for Atomic to be heading in and I will be seriously reconsidering whether or not to resubscribe. I was happy to support the great work done before, but to pay money which is essentially being used to pay overseas reviewers to do work for their own magazine which is then to be shipped here a couple of months later.... Perhaps I should write to the editor and tell them I've entered into a subscription sharing arrangement, whereby I'll be using my Atomic subscription fees to subscribe to Custom PC as I know that Atomic's great content will appear there, as written by the original authors, a couple of months in advance of it being published in Atomic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe he's a cross between the two?

http://www.the-funneled-web.com/images_200...vin-rudd-1a.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe he's a cross between the two?

http://www.the-funneled-web.com/images_200...vin-rudd-1a.jpg

Or maybe he's cross with the two :P

Eep, what a thing to deal with first thing on a Monday morning.

Let me get my brain in gear, get some news on the site, and I'll share my thoughts and try to address some of these concerns :)

To the OP: Yes, for the foreseeable future we will be publishing content from Custom PC. On average, we'll be taking Features and Group Tests from them, and some Tutorials. All standalone tech and game reviews, Engine Room, some Tutorials, and the usual bits like columns and Xray, will continue to be locally produced.

I can certainly understand that this is a conundrum for anyone who subscribes to both mags. All I can say is that we will always endeavor to cover off on local suppliers and pricing - and if some gear in a roundup is only from the UK (a rare occurrence so far) we will be honest about its pricing, but we will at least make sure that the gear can be ordered online.

Which is something we've been doing for a while anyway when it comes to gear only available in America. Converting such prices is always bit of a minefield, and even more so now, and I've always believed it's best to offer the actual RRP in its native currency, so readers can then convert themselves to get a more accurate value.

As to the general issue of using Custom PC content in the mag, and whether it's welcome or not... that's a harder one to face. The horrible truth of publishing is that you can't please everyone. Ironically, over in the issue 99 feedback thread there are people quite actively fond of some of the UK content, while here there are those against it. I certainly don't want to dismiss the negative views out of hand, but... the situation is what it is. The addition of the UK content feed, frankly, makes my job a lot easier, and it makes for a more efficient bottom line from a management sense, too. Is it an ideal solution? Not at all - give me a choice and I'd much rather keep paying people like A4E and Zeb to write fuck-off awesome articles for me, and to have a full staff at my disposal. But that's not the hand we've been dealt this year.

Sadly, the publishing industry is doing it tough at the moment, and Atomic is not immune to that. Everything that's happened to Atomic over the last few months has been reflected in the larger industry - redundancies, cut-backs and slowing down of spending. It's easy to look at comments like those on the Haymarket UK corporate site and scoff, but the truth is that at the end of last year, a lot was invested in Atomic. Major redesigns take time and money, and Atomic profited from both. Right now there's a lot of investment in other Haymarket properties, too.

And speaking of Haymarket, yes, we are part of a larger, global company. There are Haymarket offices everywhere from India to Sydney - but Haymarket Australia is quite independent. All the decisions that effect the mag are made locally.

And, I'm happy to say, that a lot of the recent decisions have been for the best - my beloved magazine and site is doing well. Copy sales are solid; better than they have been in a couple of years, actually. Site stats are also rising, thanks, in part, to that UK content. Good content is good content, no matter where it comes from.

So, yeah. I think I've ranted enough, but I really just want to re-iterate that I do understand that seeing 'non-Atomic' content in your favourite mag is bit of a letdown. I get that - totally. And I'm always happy to chat about these things, and welcome any and all feedback.

we should sell Australian Content to the UK :P

Colonial content could never be as high quality as the Best of British content, old boy.

To the OP: Yes, for the foreseeable future we will be publishing content from Custom PC. On average, we'll be taking Features and Group Tests from them, and some Tutorials. All standalone tech and game reviews, Engine Room, some Tutorials, and the usual bits like columns and Xray, will continue to be locally produced.

I can certainly understand that this is a conundrum for anyone who subscribes to both mags. All I can say is that we will always endeavor to cover off on local suppliers and pricing - and if some gear in a roundup is only from the UK (a rare occurrence so far) we will be honest about its pricing, but we will at least make sure that the gear can be ordered online.

Which is something we've been doing for a while anyway when it comes to gear only available in America. Converting such prices is always bit of a minefield, and even more so now, and I've always believed it's best to offer the actual RRP in its native currency, so readers can then convert themselves to get a more accurate value.

As to the general issue of using Custom PC content in the mag, and whether it's welcome or not... that's a harder one to face. The horrible truth of publishing is that you can't please everyone. Ironically, over in the issue 99 feedback thread there are people quite actively fond of some of the UK content, while here there are those against it. I certainly don't want to dismiss the negative views out of hand, but... the situation is what it is. The addition of the UK content feed, frankly, makes my job a lot easier, and it makes for a more efficient bottom line from a management sense, too. Is it an ideal solution? Not at all - give me a choice and I'd much rather keep paying people like A4E and Zeb to write fuck-off awesome articles for me, and to have a full staff at my disposal. But that's not the hand we've been dealt this year.

Sadly, the publishing industry is doing it tough at the moment, and Atomic is not immune to that. Everything that's happened to Atomic over the last few months has been reflected in the larger industry - redundancies, cut-backs and slowing down of spending. It's easy to look at comments like those on the Haymarket UK corporate site and scoff, but the truth is that at the end of last year, a lot was invested in Atomic. Major redesigns take time and money, and Atomic profited from both. Right now there's a lot of investment in other Haymarket properties, too.

And speaking of Haymarket, yes, we are part of a larger, global company. There are Haymarket offices everywhere from India to Sydney - but Haymarket Australia is quite independent. All the decisions that effect the mag are made locally.

And, I'm happy to say, that a lot of the recent decisions have been for the best - my beloved magazine and site is doing well. Copy sales are solid; better than they have been in a couple of years, actually. Site stats are also rising, thanks, in part, to that UK content. Good content is good content, no matter where it comes from.

So, yeah. I think I've ranted enough, but I really just want to re-iterate that I do understand that seeing 'non-Atomic' content in your favourite mag is bit of a letdown. I get that - totally. And I'm always happy to chat about these things, and welcome any and all feedback.

Less PR talk, more Australian content.

we should sell Australian Content to the UK :P

That's not a bad idea :)