dr_zero

UK Content reproduced in Atomic

Why pay two writers for one piece of work?

New layout of atomic will be:

Content from UK writers

Edited for AU audience

Makes perfect financial sense.

It does. Definitely. But does it make artistic sense? Setting aside for the moment which of the two is a priority in todays climate...

I think Caelum had his tongue firmly wedged in his cheek.

To a degree, yes. It was accurate however.

Less PR talk, more Australian content.

Look I feel the same way. But quite frankly, ignorant and stupid fucking comments like that really achieve nothing say to piss off the only people that can really help in this situation.

Look I feel the same way. But quite frankly, ignorant and stupid fucking comments like that really achieve nothing say to piss off the only people that can really help in this situation.

Okay, I'm sorry. But you gotta admit PR talk is annoying.

Okay, I'm sorry. But you gotta admit PR talk is annoying.

Honestly, what did you expect? He can't do anything about it, it's not up to him.

Ahsoka, that's not PR talk - it's the honest truth. I'm not spinning anything.

What, exactly, do you want me to say?

Honestly, what did you expect? He can't do anything about it, it's not up to him.

Actually, having spoken with David a couple of times about this type of thing, he tries his utmost to point this type of thing to management and make them understand Atomic and why the readers feel this way.

So it's not like he does or can do nothing ;)

"We'll rehire all our beloved writers that we laid off, and we'll have a matte black cover. And we'll only include UK content if it's up to Atomic's impeccable standard." That's what I'd like you to say, but it's not going to happen.

I (and everyone else) am sorry to hit you with this when you get to work on Monday, but it has to be said. No hard feelings :)

Actually, having spoken with David a couple of times about this type of thing, he tries his utmost to point this type of thing to management and make them understand Atomic and why the readers feel this way.

So it's not like he does or can do nothing ;)

I understand that, I was referring to the bigger picture. It's not like everything can magically go back to normal with a snap of the fingers. I can only imagine all the work the staff are doing to get this magazine out the door each month.

"We'll rehire all our beloved writers that we laid off, and we'll have a matte black cover. And we'll only include UK content if it's up to Atomic's impeccable standard." That's what I'd like you to say, but it's not going to happen.

I (and everyone else) am sorry to hit you with this when you get to work on Monday, but it has to be said. No hard feelings :)

So you want him to lie, so that you can complain about that too huh? Think about it dude.

So you want him to lie, so that you can complain about that too huh? Think about it dude.

No. I'd like him to say it truthfully.

I've just deleted about five or six different responses.

I just don't know what to say.

What do you want to say?

What do you want to say?

Probably 'STFU'. :)

No, wait, that's what I want to say. Your posts have been nothing but unrealistic and demanding.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

ahsoka it's probably fair to say that David feels exactly the same about the magazine as you and the majority of the readers, but he's got to answer to the publishers, it's no an independent jobbie with all the things that go along with that.

I don't think anyone can blame the Australian staff or editor. They're actually the victims of the situation. Note the other thread about how Justin (no relation) essentially writes most of the Australian content of the mag now, doing the work that used to be done by several others.

However, Iamthemaxx, I don't think you should be angry at readers for saying what they think about the situation. They're entitled to be annoyed about the reduction in local content and apparent dilution of the magazine they subscribe to. It's their and advertisers' money that pays for the magazine. Better that they voice their concerns than simply remove themselves from the subscriber list, no?

In fact, the more readers give feedback on the situation, the more chance that our English Overlords may reconsider the situation and realise they're in the process of throttling their own golden goose.

Let me say it plainly: I for one won't buy an Australian publication with significant UK content. Or even one which is written by one overworked junior who doesn't have the time to focus on any one subject with any degree of quality.

Magazines are already under pressure from the realtime speed and local relevancy of e-publications. Adding aged UK content which in some cases references products/versions not available in Australia to Atomic is not a backward step, it's a backward leap. Sure, magazines are under cost pressure. But making their quality and relevance worse will actually hasten the demise of any particular masthead.

As a business leader, I appreciate when my customers tell me when I'm off track. If I choose to ignore the voice of my customers, I deserve to lose their custom.

Edited by just_some_guy

The future of Atomic is not about what you want, though, little dude :-( It's not about what I want, either, or any of our individual personal preferences. It's about making decisions that will at least try to give Atomic the best shot at surviving into the future, whether they make immediate sense to us or not.

You and I may not always agree with these decisions, but this subforum is here just for the kinds of discussions we're having now :-)

Paradoxically, although Atomic is not about your or I individually, we are part of the Atomic audience and we are who the lovely crew are targeting :-) However, whilst a knitting magazine following would view us Atomicans as having the same or similar mind, the truth is any collection of people contains a vast array of individual traits. Not all these traits are going to be satisifed in one hit.

Interesting stuff to think about. Yes, I'd agree we've lost some great talent and ego does tend to put our own content before others, but I guess this is where we are just now. All things change.

Feedback can be good. Constructive feedback is even better :-)

However, Iamthemaxx, I don't think you should be angry at readers for saying what they think about the situation. They're entitled to be annoyed about the reduction in local content and apparent dilution of the magazine they subscribe to. It's their and advertisers' money that pays for the magazine. Better that they voice their concerns than simply remove themselves from the subscriber list, no?

Yeeessss, I agree with the voicing your concerns, but even David is having problems trying to understand what he wants.

Caelum's point is spot on I think.

Magazines are already under pressure from the realtime speed and local relevancy of e-publications. Adding aged UK content which in some cases references products/versions not available in Australia to Atomic is not a backward step, it's a backward leap. Sure, magazines are under cost pressure. But making their quality and relevance worse will actually hasten the demise of any particular masthead.

As a business leader, I appreciate when my customers tell me when I'm off track. If I choose to ignore the voice of my customers, I deserve to lose their custom.

You're right.

But as you also point out the writing/editorial staff are the victims as are we.

Yeeessss, I agree with the voicing your concerns, but even David is having problems trying to understand what he wants.

I think we're all trying to encourage Lord Haymarket to the point of view that, investing in the quality and relevancy of Atomic will be necessary to the maintain the profits he's become accustomed to accruing from us.

You know, I just looked at the circulation of Custom PC and Atomic. They're not numerically much different, even though the UK is a much bigger market than Australia.

That means that Atomic is much higher penetrated in its local market than Custom PC. Ie more successful, relative to its audience.

So why on earth would you use content from the less successful publication in the more successful one?

In the Ashes of Publishing, Lord Haymarket appears to be batting for the home team.

Edited by just_some_guy

The future of Atomic is not about what you want, though, little dude :-( It's not about what I want, either, or any of our individual personal preferences. It's about making decisions that will at least try to give Atomic the best shot at surviving into the future, whether they make immediate sense to us or not.

Yes but is there really any point in Atomic (or anything for that matter) surviving if it's not truly Atomic?

So why on earth would you use content from the less successful publication in the more successful one?

Why pay two writers for one piece of work?

New layout of atomic will be:

Content from UK writers

Edited for AU audience

Makes perfect financial sense.

I think we're all trying to encourage Lord Haymarket to the point of view that, investing in the quality and relevancy of Atomic will be necessary to the maintain the profits he's become accustomed to accruing from us.

You know, I just looked at the circulation of Custom PC and Atomic. They're not numerically much different, even though the UK is a much bigger market than Australia.

That means that Atomic is much higher penetrated in its local market than Custom PC. Ie more successful, relative to its audience.

In the Ashes of Publishing, Lord Haymarket appears to be batting for the home team.

I agree, but giving up totally on Atomic like you are doesn't seem to be the best way to go about it in my mind.

Yes but is there really any point in Atomic (or anything for that matter) surviving if it's not truly Atomic?

Like I said to jsg, you are willing to give up completely because it's changed?

Would you like us to ban you so you can't contribute to the forums, cause that is part of Atomic as well you know.