• Cut and paste
    • Multitasking
    • MMS
    • Video recording
    • More Bluetooth options
    • Tethering
    • Improved file system for managing Apps
    • Adobe Flash support

The only disappointment I can see is the lack of capability to run apps in the background, so it's a pretty comprehensive list. Hopefuly the EULA and what not also gets updated to use these features to their full potential.

Only thing im wondering now is why did it take 2 years to get to this point?

couple of things, ...

Tethering... not fully supported? what does that mean?

what about video codec, will we finally be able to play divx (ffmpeg)?

and when will this update be available? also, as ive jailbusted my phone, will i have to unbreak it before updating?

and bloody hell, still no Scummvm... :(

All in all I am relatively pleased with the update.

*pushes iPhone in Girvo's face cause I know he secretly likes it :D

*pushes iPhone in Girvo's face cause I know he secretly likes it :D

Secretly?

:P

I do like it, it is a good phone and now a capable smartphone platform.

I don't want one just yet however. I'm hoping SE brings out a P1i successor based on Symbian Foundation soon. That'd be my ultimate phone. I'm probably just going to buy a P1i anyway. :P

Only thing im wondering now is why did it take 2 years to get to this point?

They built an Internet connected mobile operating system from scratch. Cut them a little slack.

I think A2DP and MMS just pushed me over the edge and I'm now looking to get a iphone.

A2DP lets it become a proper music phone for me and MMS, cut and paste just adds to the simple smart phone functions I want.

AWESOME

Latest thing I've seen is Lifehacker postulated Australia might miss out on MMS for some reason or another...

Rubbish. Every provider in Aus supports MMS, so when the iPhone supports MMS we'll get it.

The question is: who the fuck will want it?

Latest thing I've seen is Lifehacker postulated Australia might miss out on MMS for some reason or another...

Rubbish. Every provider in Aus supports MMS, so when the iPhone supports MMS we'll get it.

The question is: who the fuck will want it?

I want it. I use mms all the time. Just for quick silly shit like pics of my lunch to the gf or something like that. Email would be significantly more inconvenient.

I take photos of my wang and send them to Fuzz, or I used to before he got an iPhone.

Now I can start again!

In other news....

/me waits for this to be jailbroken.

I take photos of my wang and send them to Fuzz, or I used to before he got an iPhone.

Now I can start again!

Yeah, I don't actually have an iPhone. I only told you that so that you'd stop sending me photos of your wang.

Which, for some reason, makes me wonder whether anyone ever managed to send ACSII art via telegram before they were axed.

Spotlight looks awesome!

Note sync sounds sweet too

Can't wait 'till it comes out!

i shall be downloading it as soon as it is available

Ohhh can't wait to download this sucker tonight!

Its not out till winter dude

just the SDK and beta is out now

and that's what I'll be downloading...

and that's what I'll be downloading...

Fair enough

FYI you do need to be a registered developer to gain access to the beta. It might be on BitTorrent and you need a mac to use the SDK and presumably upload the firmware.

Dude, seriously. I had planned on coming in to this thread and congratulating Apple for a job well done [finally]. But you are really annoying when it comes to pushing your phone.

If I wanted to do that I would have posted a screenshot...

Posted Image

...oops!

There's a beta floating around, 250MB the SDK weighs in at 2.5GB.

The 2 year timeframe is probably to retain the original iPhone users who will be coming off contract, expect new hardware to accompany it, just like last year.

I wonder what will develop by the time the iPhone 3G contracts start ending.

Edited by hill60606

I hope they get some hardware that I like. I don't actually know exactly what I want... but it's gotta drag me away from the Pre :)

They've got one heck of a software platform now Apple, so do something with it! I don't want a huge-screened thing, 3 inches is the max for me. A keyboard would be nice but not essential.

We'll see what they do!

...but it's gotta drag me away from the Pre :)

The Pre is still vapourware, being tied to Sprint means it is unlikely to work here.

By using open source WebKit as the basis for their OS any development work Palm does on it will also be open source under the terms of the licence, that means any improvements, such as cleaning up the code, are available to anyone, including Apple who originally developed WebKit.

The Pre is like a last roll of the die for Palm, if it fails and doesn't attract someone to buy Palm out it is likely that an institution will be gone.

Apple has recently licenced PowerVR and aquired a stake in Imagination technologies who are working on embedded multi-core 'system on a chip' capable of running OpenCL which Apple is moving toward with Snow Leopard.

Apple also aquired fabless chip manufacturer, PA semi and has started designing their own chips for iPods and iPhones.

Palm is being squeezed hard by Apple first on the software front and it looks like hardware will be next.

Edited by hill60606

The Pre is still vapourware, being tied to Sprint means it is unlikely to work here.

Uhhhhhh... Palm is going to be making a UMTS version of the Pre you nutterbutter. It was shown off at GSMA in February.

Uhhhhhh... Palm is going to be making a UMTS version of the Pre you nutterbutter. It was shown off at GSMA in February.

Work here as in will it be locked to Sprint?

Will it be available to other networks, such as ours?

A phone Girvo might want to take a look at is the LG iPhone Arena, 3" 480x800 touchscreen and running LG's new S-class OS.

Edit:-

Though why he'd want a 3" when it's hard enough seeing the difference between 'Reply' and 'Edit' on a 3.5" is beyond me :)

Edited by hill60606

The Sprint version is an CDMA 1xEV-DO phone. The UMTS phone is for the rest of the world and will be either sold outright or sold by the different carriers here as per any other phone on the market.

Like I said. Nutterbutter.