mortagen

Free internet... what's stopping me or you other than morals?

This could be done right...

Mount this to your roof: 38.5db gain wireless booster

Plug it into a machine running backtrack 3... crack any wireless network within X Kilometers of you and just route the internet you're stealing to the rest of the computers around your house... free internet... Is this possible because it sure seems like it... why aren't people doing this? or are they and i'm just unaware?

Just curious... =P

1: that antenna looks directional, and given such a massive boost strength, its probably not a very wide collection area.

(

6 3dB Horizontal Beamwidth 15 Degrees

7 3dB Vertical Beamwidth 16 Degrees

)

2: latency

3: people may notice the coincedental correlation of the erection of a fuckoff big antenna, and their usage stats going nuts

what you need is a piece of tech that leeches tiny bits from multiple sources, till then pay for your net, or try stealing it, it may work, there are alot of people not using good security on their wireless, and i guess maybe they deserve to get a bit taken from them.

what you need is a piece of tech that leeches tiny bits from multiple sources, till then pay for your net, or try stealing it, it may work, there are alot of people not using good security on their wireless, and i guess maybe they deserve to get a bit taken from them.

thats like saying, if i leave my washing on the line, its ok for someone to steal my shirt, beacuase its not padlocked down.

ie: stupid

look wireless is so prominent these days, and we are all told about securing our networks by "the guy at the computer shop" if you dont its your own fault it gets stolen, you guys think im wrong, well fine, i dont really care, i know im right.

as for stealing washing, its easier to steal unsecured wireless then it is to steal washing, a stupid example.

look wireless is so prominent these days, and we are all told about securing our networks by "the guy at the computer shop" if you dont its your own fault it gets stolen,

Erm... no, pretty damn sure it's the fault of the person who stole it. Just like it's that person's fault if they have to sniff out your SSID, crack the encryption and spoof your MAC addy. When it comes to assuming people's knowledge, it's more reasonable to assume that someone knows it's wrong to steal than to assume that someone knows how to secure their 802.11g.

stealing internet is illegal.

knowingly or not.

the issue is with lax detection and prosecution.

well i still feel if someone doesn't set up even basic encryption someone will use it, as far as i know most wireless routers/modems/etc have wep on as default, if one chooses to turn it off, for example i get a warning, they choose to ignore it, and go all naked and free with their network, then most likely someone will nab it, you can't deny it will happen, im not saying its right to steal net from them, but it is open and free to be tampered with, personally i wouldn't, i have 3 open wireless devices near me, if knew who they were i would probably tell them to turn encryption on, or do it for them even, but i dont know who they are, and my feelings towards this stop me from finding out who they are.

a stupid example.

you're a stupid example

well, then, i challenge you to find an example that backs your case.

im not saying its right to steal net from them,

yes you did

Edited by clockworkman

well i still feel if someone doesn't set up even basic encryption someone will use it, as far as i know most wireless routers/modems/etc have wep on as default, if one chooses to turn it off, for example i get a warning, they choose to ignore it, and go all naked and free with their network, then most likely someone will nab it, you can't deny it will happen, im not saying its right to steal net from them, but it is open and free to be tampered with, personally i wouldn't, i have 3 open wireless devices near me, if knew who they were i would probably tell them to turn encryption on, or do it for them even, but i dont know who they are, and my feelings towards this stop me from finding out who they are.

So... uhh... I'm a bit unclear. What exactly is your point? That an unencrypted wireless network is easy to use without permission? I don't think anyone's arguing against that. That people should encrypt their network? Again, sure, no argument here. Neither of those, though, seem to fit the general tone of your posts here.

???

but it is open and free to be tampered with.

So is Woolworths but you don't pocket what you want and walk off without paying, It's theft.

Fuck yall.

I'll invest in one and let you know how the free net idea works. Sounds good to me.

If it's actually 7W tx power as claimed then it's illegal to operate... but if you're breaking into someone else's network then that probably doesn't bother you. It's not a wireless booster. It's a USB wireless NIC with a panel antenna.

A technical limitation is that distant APs won't have a high enough transmit power to reach your antenna regardless of your receive gain. And as suggested, it's a directional antenna on that device so it'd need to be pointed at the target.

A logical limitation is that it's a lot of fucking around.

A legal limitation is that it's not.

first up I apologise to mortagen, i didn't mean to start this whole thing, i made one itty bitty little post, and it was all blown out of proportion.

that said i will address these quotes, and that will be the last post i make in this thread.

a stupid example.

you're a stupid example

well, then, i challenge you to find an example that backs your case.

ok so i was a bit harsh, it wasnt a stupid example, it just didnt suit what i said, stealing wireless is more like stealing a newpaper, ie; steal wireless = no real harm or cost incured, unless they're with telstra, steal newpaper = no real harm or cost, steal clothing, said person going to work in "i kissed a girl" tshirt and having to replace said work shirt.

its not perfect. i dont care.

im not saying its right to steal net from them,

yes you did

read what i said carefully, no where did i say it's ok, i implied its possible, and that people do it, never that it was right.

So... uhh... I'm a bit unclear. What exactly is your point? That an unencrypted wireless network is easy to use without permission? I don't think anyone's arguing against that. That people should encrypt their network? Again, sure, no argument here. Neither of those, though, seem to fit the general tone of your posts here.

???

i'm not going to waste my time trying to put my point across to someone who obviously doesn't want to hear it, its quite simple what i posted, if you choose not to understand, well i can't help that.

but it is open and free to be tampered with.

So is Woolworths but you don't pocket what you want and walk off without paying, It's theft.

again thats just silly trying to compare stealing stuff from woolies to stealing wireless, they are both stealing yes, but i dont see using someones wireless because the owner is careless like i do someone stealing stuff from woolies, if you do then my posts will make no sense, again i cant make you see my point if you don't think like me. its all a question of morals, whether you do or don't its up to you to decide.

Given the number of people who you claim have misunderstood you, h3viw8, I'd say it's fair to state that the error lies with you. Try making yourself clearer next time.

The Secret: What an absolutely ridiculous statement. Do you assume that people who leave their doors are locked are inviting you to steal their stuff? That people who leave their children unattended are inviting you to kidnap them? That people store who don't place security guards are inviting you to shoplift?

Just because someone makes it possible for you to do something, does not mean that they want you to do it, and does not in itself make the doing of it right by any measure.

whizzzzzzzzz

sorry all i heard was your chain spinning around backwards as you try to backpedal.

you know, there really is nothing bad about realising you made a mistake and admitting to it, the world wont collapse

they deserve to get a bit taken from them.

The mods have you by the balls. Apologise, admit you "worded it wrong" or whatever your excuse is, and maybe you'll get away with one of them.

The Secret: What an absolutely ridiculous statement. Do you assume that people who leave their doors are locked are inviting you to steal their stuff? That people who leave their children unattended are inviting you to kidnap them? That people store who don't place security guards are inviting you to shoplift?

Just because someone makes it possible for you to do something, does not mean that they want you to do it, and does not in itself make the doing of it right by any measure.

Of course not. However, the locked door analogy is a false one. If you set up wireless security, then it will remain secured. It is not something you must "remember to lock". Indeed, these days when a wireless connection is enabled by default, and security must deliberately be turned off, it is fair to say it was the intention of the owner to make the network open. Further an unlocked house will not advertise the fact that it is open, and invite you to join. I remember something off a courtcase, but am unsure if it was even australian, that had a ruling based on what I'm saying.

Of course not. However, the locked door analogy is a false one. If you set up wireless security, then it will remain secured. It is not something you must "remember to lock". Indeed, these days when a wireless connection is enabled by default, and security must deliberately be turned off, it is fair to say it was the intention of the owner to make the network open. Further an unlocked house will not advertise the fact that it is open, and invite you to join. I remember something off a courtcase, but am unsure if it was even australian, that had a ruling based on what I'm saying.

This is not the first time I've heard this claim, and people state it as if it is absolute fact, but is it true?

My wireless router is OLD. Really old, so I'm not sure if the way it came out of the box is different to the wireless routers of today, so I decided to do a random pick.

My router,

NetGear WGT624 - default settings: SSID broadcast, Security DISABLED.

A NetGear replacement would be the WNR3500.

NetGear WNR3500 - default settings: SSID broadcast, Security DISABLED.

Hmmmm, maybe NetGear is a dodgy brand? PC Authority's "A List" router is the Linksys WAG160N.

Linksys WAG160N - default settings : SSID broadcast, Security DISABLED.

When you think about it, the only way to have security turned on by default is if you list the security settings in the manual, then everyone would know it unless you changed it. Remember, we aren't talking about Atomic subscribers, we are talking about your average family.

So back to the statement that security is turned on by default, I have randomly picked 3 wireless routers that say otherwise (and yes, I downloaded the manual). Sure, they tell you how to set up security, but I'm sure folks will see their network working with the default settings and not want to tamper with it...Oh, and I completely agree, 3 routers is a tiny sample, but I was trying to understand where the fact that "security is on by default" comes from...