Sign in to follow this  
parasitic

128gb hard drive limit.

Hey all,

I wanted to change my windows install from my 120gb IDE with a 2mb cache to my 500gb SATA with 32mb cache.

I did the normal process:

Format the SATA.

Remove the IDE drive.

Install windows on the SATA, but I installed an SP1 copy.

I then installed SP2.

Reformatted due to hdd limit.

Installed a SP3 copy of windows.

I updated my bios to try fix it and it didnt work. So i downgraded it again.

Been trying to correct this for two days now.

Please help :)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I plugged in my 1tb external drive and it works fine (at full capacity).

Edited by parasitic

Does your BIOS report it as a 500GB drive?

Are you sure it's a 500GB drive?

Bios says no.

Yes I am, it was working fine before the format.

A search on the model number shows:

Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive

Edited by parasitic

What motherboard? What BIOS version?

Gigabyte GA-k8nf-9.

Bios is stated as:

"GA-K8NF-9 F6

AWARD BIOS"

This was my orignal BIOS version.

I upgraded it hoping to fix the problem.

It didn't, so I downgraded back to my original (F6)

EDIT:

Perhaps me formatting with the original XP (No Service Packs) didn't permit more than ~137 gb due to the lack of LBA48 addressing.

I will try a low level format with the seagate tools.

See if this rectifies the problem.

(Thanks so far for the help).

Edited by parasitic

I'd advise against a low-level format (does Seatools really even still do that?). A 500GB disk with a 127GB partition should still show up as a 500GB disk in the BIOS. The Seagate utility should, I suppose, let you reinitialise the disk which might be worthwhile. *shrug*

I'd advise against a low-level format (does Seatools really even still do that?). A 500GB disk with a 127GB partition should still show up as a 500GB disk in the BIOS. The Seagate utility should, I suppose, let you reinitialise the disk which might be worthwhile. *shrug*

I run the seatools, ran pretty much everything I could.

Nothing worked anyway.

Still shows up as ~127gb drive.

I run a Ubuntu live CD to see if windows was letting me down. But it was the same.

I've had bad experiences with that motherboard at work, both blew up and even the repaired one blew up later. I think the BIOS is letting you down here.

At the moment, I don't have another computer to test it on.

I will try hunt one down.

My fat23 USB External 1TB is working at full capacity if that means anything..

Try installing the Windows 7 beta or Vista. I know those have removed that stupid limit on install.

Edited by Jeruselem

Try installing the Windows 7 beta or Vista. I know those have removed that stupid limit on install.

I had it working fine on XP SP3 (And SP2 before 3 was released).

I now have XP SP3 installed from a retail Windows XP SP3 disc.

And I do not own Windows Vista to test it.

Is it NTFS or Fat32

My guess is that the problem is hiding somewhere in bios.

Have a look in the advance bios settings page to see if there is anything regarding legacy drives or something.

I'm not familiar with the board so I don't know exactly where it would be.

If you are having trouble formatting your new drive It is most likely the pre service pack copy of XP you are using, so in that case I recommend the excellent hard drive setup programs put out by the manufactures of the most popular drives.

These programs will format and partition your hard drives anyway you like, with as many (or one) partitions, and in any file type as well. Using a windows type GUI. It takes all the hard work out of it.

After you download the setup program for your hard drive, just run it and it will create a boot disk (which you can run from a USB drive). Boot from this and the program will run, if you then want to stipulate the number or partitions, just choose advanced setup and it will direct you from there.

So here is the linkage enjoy :).

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

http://www.fujitsu.ca/support/hdd/download.html

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr...ities/index.htm

Edited by bowiee

If you are having trouble formatting your new drive It is most likely the pre service pack copy of XP you are using,

I had it working fine on XP SP3 (And SP2 before 3 was released).

I now have XP SP3 installed from a retail Windows XP SP3 disc.

And I do not own Windows Vista to test it.

Reading, people! It's what stops you looking like idiots.

Check the jumpers on the hard drive

Why? What should he check for?

Personally, I'm gonna suggest that the drive is borked. You could maybe go down to your local comp shop and see if they'll plug it in for you to check if it works on something they have, but I can't think of anything else to suggest. Other than, of course, buying a new HDD.

In the case of the ATA interface, 28 bits are used for the sector number interface between the operating system, BIOS and the hard disk. This means a hard disk can have a maximum of 2^28 or 268,435,456 sectors of 512 bytes. This puts the ATA interface maximum at 128 GiB or approximately 137.4 GB.

My thoughts are it's a problem with it being ATA, so I'd assume enabling 48bit LBA would stop this conflict he's getting. Personally I'd think it's worth a try, before he spends money.

Edited by Fat_Bodybuilder

If you are having trouble formatting your new drive It is most likely the pre service pack copy of XP you are using,

Reading, people! It's what stops you looking like idiots.

Personally, I'm gonna suggest that the drive is borked. You could maybe go down to your local comp shop and see if they'll plug it in for you to check if it works on something they have, but I can't think of anything else to suggest. Other than, of course, buying a new HDD.

Tut Tut, Name calling from a mod ;) I mentioned that because he said he first installed xp with SP1 only.

Install windows on the SATA, but I installed an SP1 copy.

SO I assumed he was using xp with sp1 to format the drive before installing windows, which may be the cause of the problem. So using the tools I suggested will do two things.

It will check the drives integrity and if all is well will then format it so he can use all the drives space. :) So if the drive is indeed stuffed these tools will tell him so.

So I would recommend he run these tools first to confirm one way or another before he runs out and spends more money.

Edited by bowiee