Sign in to follow this  
Girvo

16:9?

Alright, I want a new monitor, this AOC is doing _okay_ but it's not brilliant, and it's the wrong colour for the rest of my gear :P

I like Samsung stuff, and their displays have always been pretty decent.

20" is the largest I can get where it'd still fit where I need it to, so I was looking at this:

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/...d=LS20CMZKFV/XY

Now, it's 16:9. This monitor is 16:10, which is what I've always considered normal.

Is this 16:9 thing common now? What are it's advantages? Disadvantages? Should I just HTFU and get it?

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...33SW&spos=3

Prices are awesome however.

Well I have it's bigger brother the 2233BW and the only (minor) complaint I have is the fixed height stand, probably should have spent the extra on a variable height stand model.

Oh and the adjustment buttons are on the side, and while not hard to access, it can be a bit of a guess which one you hit when trying to make some adjustments.

I personally own a samsung and it is much more clear than my viewsonic. On the samsung when you watch dark movies / play dark games you can actually see something. Whereas the viewsonic, it is pretty much pitch black (not a brightness / contrast setting) It is just that the TN panels arent as good

16:9 will display HD content without distorting it (and using square pixels)

the only dif between 16:9 and 16:10 i found when buying my 22 was all the reviews etc said its better displaying blu-ray/dvd etc as you dont have black bars wasting your screen real space, personally i dont think i'd notice the dif its only a few pixels off if you're talking 1920x1080, and 1920x1200.

Additionaly, the screen sizes change slightly.

19" in 16:9 are commonly 18.5"

22" in 16:9 are commonly 21.6"

ETC.