Sign in to follow this  
Takoma

A patriotic gamer's guide to K.Rudd's bonus

As we all know, most of us are in for a bonus next month, to the tune of around $900. If you're like me, you'll be spending it on necessities, but if you're sorted there, chances are it'll go on games. There's been a lot of talk about how much the bonus will benefit the economy, and how much of it will wing its way overseas. Rather than go into that discussion again, I've decided to make a guide that sticks to a particular framework, namely a way to spend your money in Australian stores, and prop up the retail sector directly.

Therefore:

Australian owned gaming outlets

Gametraders

JB Hi Fi

Harvey Norman (Say what you like about them, they're still Australian)

Dick Smith Electronics

Target (Also owned by Wesfarmers, with similar stores in the US being purely coincidental)

Big W (Owned by Woolworth's, another Australian company)

Tandy (Owned by Woolworth's, along with Dick Smith Electronics)

KMart (Operated under license from the US company, run in Australia by Wesfarmers. What this means in the greater scheme of things.....I dunno. I'm not a freakin' economist :P)

Non-Australian owned outlets

EB Games

GAME

Note that this is just a starter list, and thanks to my listing stores off the top of my head, will be largely WA-centric. If you buy your games somewhere else, post them up, and I'll see if I can determine their origin and put them in a group accordingly.

Game stores, go!

Edited by Takoma

As we all know, most of us are in for a bonus next month, to the tune of around $900. If you're like me, you'll be spending it on necessities, but if you're sorted there, chances are it'll go on games. There's been a lot of talk about how much the bonus will benefit the economy, and how much of it will wing its way overseas. Rather than go into that discussion again, I've decided to make a guide that sticks to a particular framework, namely a way to spend your money in Australian stores, and prop up the retail sector directly.

Therefore:

Australian owned gaming outlets

Gametraders

JB Hi Fi

Harvey Norman (Say what you like about them, they're still Australian)

Dick Smith Electronics

Target (Also owned by Wesfarmers, with similar stores in the US being purely coincidental)

Big W (Owned by Woolworth's, another Australian company)

Tandy (Owned by Woolworth's, along with Dick Smith Electronics)

Non-Australian owned outlets

EB Games

GAME

KMart (Operated under license from the US company, run in Australia by Wesfarmers. What this means in the greater scheme of things.....I dunno. I'm not a freakin' economist :P)

Note that this is just a starter list, and thanks to my listing stores off the top of my head, will be largely WA-centric. If you buy your games somewhere else, post them up, and I'll see if I can determine their origin and put them in a group accordingly.

Game stores, go!

Hmmmm, not sure about this. Any money spent in any retail store helps keep someone in a job. As long as some of the "$900's" find their way into retail stores, it's all good for the people on the front line in retail. Obviously, if it is being used to buy Australian made and manufactured goods, then that's even better, cause that way it'll potentially keep more people in jobs.

But, I'm willing to bet that more shoes made overseas, from overseas-produced rubber and leather; surfie clothes made overseas from overseas cotton; and kidney beans grown and manufactured in Italy will be bought than Aussie produced stuff. Oh, and pokies, clubs and bottle-O's will all make a motza.

Perhaps we should all buy copies of De Blob and drink some South Australian grown vino instead!

I think the idea behind shopping at Australian owned businesses is that by propping up their retail figures, you're encouraging them to spend money which will further benefit the local economy, rather than having the money go overseas to be spent on overseas stuff.

Much of a muchness perhaps, but as I mentioned, I'm not an economist, and that isn't the point of this thread :)

Perhaps we should all buy copies of De Blob and drink some South Australian grown vino instead!

Considering DeBlob was published by THQ, that's kinda the same as spaneding the money in a retail shop that is owned by a non-Australian company.

Australia (Blue Tongue) will see some benifit, but most of it will go overseas.

Considering DeBlob was published by THQ, that's kinda the same as spaneding the money in a retail shop that is owned by a non-Australian company.

Australia (Blue Tongue) will see some benifit, but most of it will go overseas.

Yeah I know that, and I was going to make some broad sweeping comment about how fuck all of any $100 game you buy stays in Australia, but figured I'd remain less cynical and try to cast a positive spin on things. Thanks for stealing the jam out of that donut >:/

that's kinda the same as spaneding the money in a retail shop that is owned by a non-Australian company.

This annoys me. Not because it is wrong, per se, but because there are very tangible benefits to just plain old spending your $900 in retail stores, rather than saving it or paying off debt.

If I get more money through my till, regardless of where the profits end up, it keeps me, an Australian, in my job. Meaning I in turn, have money to spend in someone else's till. And so on. Which is what my point about buying Aussie made and manufactured was. If the $900 is spent on something that is Aussie made and manufactured, then it will not just keep me, a retailer in a job, but it will keep the person who has made and manufactured the product in their jobs, too*.

*Obviously, this is a very, very simplified chain of ideas, but it gets the point across.

Edited by elfinke

Kmart Australia is mostly independant of Kmart US. Westfarmers is Australian. Money spent in Kmart goes to Australians.

Might want to update your list.

Yeah, it was the -mostly- bit that relegated it to the second category, until I had confirmation. Done.

I love GameTraders.

Most friendly staff i've ever met.

I agree, and they still stock Gamecube games, and have really good prices. Not quite as good as JB's most of the time, but I prefer the service I get at Gametraders and the obscure titles they get in :)

I love GameTraders.

Most friendly staff i've ever met.

I'll +1 that.

Aren't they Australian as well?

Yeah, that's why they're at the top of the Australian Owned Stores list.

lrn2read nooblarz :P