xzibit0007

windows xp contious loop

hi there, i have a computer that runs with Windows XP Home edition, however i cant get past the screen where it saise Windows xp and it is loading, 1ce it gets to this stage it makes a beeping noise then goes right back to the screen where all the bios and system setting are. I have tried starting the computer in safe mode, the other modes including the one that starts from last know compatible settings. however no matter what i try the same thing keeps on happening.

My computer has:

Pentium 4 3.0ghz

1.5gb ddr ram

windows xp home edition

asus P4S800-MX SE motherboard

Any suggestions on what can be done or what the problem might be?

First up try booting from a Live CD like Knoppix or UBCD4Win, this will help isolate whether it is a windows problem or a hardware problem, although the beep does suggest hardware.

If you can get in to the GUI with the Live CD I would be leaning towards a Windows issue, in which case a repair install or full re-install may be the only solution.

Also make sure to set the bios to defaults and also try removing everything from the case except the bare minimum. So 1 HDD, 1 stick of ram, and video card.

Between the POST?BIOS screen and the Windows loading screen hit F8 until the advanced boot menu. Choose Disable restart on system failure.

Let us know what the BSOD screen says. The important bits will be something like:

STOP 0x0000001a (0x00000000, 0x389f9a7b7e, etc)

and any reference to a file like R61n.sys

Between the POST?BIOS screen and the Windows loading screen hit F8 until the advanced boot menu. Choose Disable restart on system failure.

Let us know what the BSOD screen says. The important bits will be something like:

I had a similar problem before but that was apparently caused to a incompatible ram stick that was added to the original ram stick. but this time round i don't know whether it is like a hardware or system error.

I had a similar problem before but that was apparently caused to a incompatible ram stick that was added to the original ram stick. but this time round i don't know whether it is like a hardware or system error.

That's nice.

Could you give us the STOP error and any relevant files?

I managed to access the advanced settings and i re-installed the operating system on it again. The computer is now working fine.