Sign in to follow this  
ch3ssnut

Budget Gaming Computer

Hi, just like to let all those kids out their that love gaming (but are stuck on their parents expensive, overpriced laptop) that building a gaming computer for as cheap as $153 is very possible!

System:

CPU: AMD 2600 2.09Ghz overclocked to 2.20Ghz (came with computer)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VAX (came with computer)

RAM: 3x512mb DDR400 ($0 came free with x1650 pro)

GPU:x1650 Pro AGP 512mb, 128bit,600/800 overclocked to 670/870 ($40)

Power Supply Unit:500 Watt ($50)

Other: Green Neon case fan!!! and Custom Black re-badged case ($1 for badges and $2 for neon case fan, a can of spray paint lying around lol)

HDD: 40GB & 20GB (not much but its all i need lol) (came with computer)

Optical Drive: DVD-R ($10)

TOTAL COST:$50 for computer and $103 for mods

Just letting everyone out their like me who are only 13 and don't have a job so are limited on money, that it is possible to build a half decent gaming computer for just above $153

It plays COD4 fine on about 25-30-40FPS varying on different maps, on a map with lots of fire, smoke etc it does about 25FPS

P.S im about to upgrade to a low end dual core (1.8Ghz) and something like a 4670 (just gotta wait till 4th of July, my birthday)

Cheers Ch3$$nUt and to all you young gamers out their it is very possible to do it and computers are the most simplest things when it comes to modifying them physically

Congrats mate. If it does what you want it to, then well done.

So did you buy all the parts new or second hand from somewhere? Was it already built or you built it yourself? What about a monitor/display?

And how about some pics of this beast? :)

Spend less on mods and more on parts that would help alot. With the saved cash get a better HDD. WOuldnt mind seeing the case though !

sorry to sound like an asshole but I would rather have no computer then have something as old as that.

Edited by nesquick

lol yeah she's and old rig, but yeah it does the job

I got it second hand from my mums work, and all the parts are second hand apart from the 500w PSU, and as for the moniter it came with a old 15" crt moniter, but then my mate got me a 17" HP LCD one for free!, brand new and everything, he works for a big company funded by the government so they waste money by chucking out brand new things all the time lol

The rig was built to play COD4 and i was planning to spend about $250 until all these offers came up lol, and when that 4th of july comes, my god will i be happy lol

And as requested, here are the pictures!!!!. Not that flash or nothing but it certainly is better than the standard white piece of shite lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Their not the most recent pictures so it doesn't have the LED fan in it or the 2 awesome case badges, yet to come though

Edited by ch3ssnut

IMO if your going to upgrade it your best off getting a better CPU than 1.8ghz.. but this would likely require a new motherboard, RAM, possibly a GPU and PSU.

Then again it all depends how much $$$ you can sink into it.

Well when i upgraed im hoping to go for a 1.8ghz or better, whatever i can get with $50 (remember im talking dual core e2160) and they will overclock awesomely!, people are getting 2.8ghz on stock coolers, and i don't really have the money to go for anything better, im also planning to spend $70-$80 on a new motherboard and $70-$80 on a new graphic card, the 500w PSU should HOPEFULLY do for now

With the graphic card i was hoping to get something like a 8800GTS or GTx or a 9500GT or 9600GT or 4650 or 4550 etc, something around the lines of that

the 500w PSU should HOPEFULLY do for now

Hate to sound all negative, but I personally doubt that PSU is actually putting out the 500W it says it has ... prolly not even close. That's most likely the first bit that needs to be replaced in event of an upgrade.

yeah the 9600GT is a BIT out of the price range for now, but a second hand 4650 would go nice, when i get the money and 101 post on here im gonna put up a wanted post for a graphic card.

As for the power supply unit what do ya rekon would be worth upgrading to, remember im fairly budgeted, and shouldn't a 500w one be good enough fro a dual core and 4650 or 8800GTS or 4550 etc?. Well i would of thought it would be anyway, but yeah i know it probably only puts out 450w or something cause they sell it as 500w but its really 500w max.

Oh and as for those graphic cards, can they come with a 3 pin power connector cause my PSU ATM doesn't have a 6 pin one it just has a 3 pin

The PSU thing is more along the lines of it being a generic 500W supply, which means it might be more like 300W or so. I can understand it only being generic with such a budget build, but as boring as it sounds, a good PSU is really worth spending the money on. It'll last you years and years (my corsair has a 5 year warranty), can be reused even after successive other upgrades, and it'll save you frying components with dodgy power in the mean time.

Have a look at this for recommendations -> http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=266

Ohk then, yeah i don't think its a good brand or anything its just called "power case"

probably not all that good but i could always try and flog it off on ebay and buy a new one from MSY, Theirs a coolermaster extreme 390w, that should be enough fro say a dual core e1260 1.8ghz, hard drive,case fan, 4650 GPU,dvd drive,2GB 800mhz DDR2 RAM and motherboard and i think thats all

And yes it is boring cause it wont make gaming better or anything lol

Edited by ch3ssnut

I wouldnt touch CoolerMaster PSUs either, Go with Seasonic, Enermax, Corsair or Antec EarthWatts.

Good too see one of todays youths at least trying something good at a young age.

Trust me Che$$nut, keep fiddling and exploring the world of PC's, By the sounds of it, your a good kid with wordly restraints around him, EI:Money/Age/Parents

Keep at it, learn as much as you can and happy modding man.

See you in COD4 sometime then I hope. Best of Luck

WoW-13 trying very hard to squeeze the extra 2-20% Out of Everything he can. Worlds are built on such Efforts.

$$

Hi, just like to let all those kids out their that love gaming (but are stuck on their parents expensive, overpriced laptop)

Just letting everyone out their like me who are only 13 and don't have a job so are limited on money

hmm don't touch cooler master? but its one of the recommended brands in the link on the reply that disco inferno made?

bloudy hell im pissed off i paid $50 for a generic one, and he was gonna charge $20 for fitting pffft rip off!

Well when i get my 101 post on here i'll make a wanted on for a half decent one and hopefully someone has one cause i want second hand cause tis ceap, but ebay is about the same price as a brand new one lol

PS $tool$amples a legenD!!!!!

hmm don't touch cooler master? but its one of the recommended brands in the link on the reply that disco inferno made?

It all depends on exactly which model as well as which brand. Some brands (or at least some models of some brands) are just rebadged generics. Do a bit of research and have a read of the recommended PSUs thread and it'll all make sense.

And I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're actually looking to do some upgrading.

yeah true, and i worked out i have a spare $30 from my $120 for my birthday present, so hopefully that will be enough to buy a half decent one and sell the old generic piece of shite

I can remember two years ago, when I was 12, I built my first PC. I actually spent around $1000 on it, but then again, I saved for about 2 years for it. Everyone on Atomic (We were still on 2.6 then) helped me out, and were quite good about my unintelligible msn-talk and complete ignorance of the industry.

Good job anyway mate.

On the PSU front, a good 430w or 500w Seasonic or similar will only cost you about $100, and it'll last much better than any old generic piece of shite. I use a ThermalTake TR2 RX 450w, which is pretty good and is modular. Just avoid normal TR2's, they are crapola. The RX's are the only good ones.

When you want to buy new stuff, always have a look in the Trademart. You'll have to be a Journeyman to post there though. Post a thread up there if you just want cheap second hand stuff.

It plays COD4 fine on about 25-30-40FPS varying on different maps, on a map with lots of fire, smoke etc it does about 25FPS

google yitch3 and yitch4 configs. im sure you can get more.

visit here too

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=c...0&Itemid=74

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=c...0&Itemid=74

with this, i managed to get 60 frames on my old computer. do not underestimate the power of a good config.

if i were you, i would give it ago :P

Here are some semi finished pictures

I could say finished, but i'd be lying cause this will never be finished, i'll always have an extra thing to waste my money on with this rig lol

enjoy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm well now my x1650 pro has fried, fucken handy lol

Im looking to upgrade and need to wait till atfer easter so i can sell ,my current PC parts and then hopefully pick up some bargains on here :P

Oh and, the guy who i brought the 500w generic PSU of, id the locl computer guy, and he just carries theese around with him and if a computers PSU shits itself then he said no matter what he chucks theese one's in cause their cheap and reliable lol. And so fair its been reliable, so do you guys think that seen as its rated and was $50 that it would actually put out atleast say 390w?, cause im trying to dodge buying a new one as i wouldnt get $50 for selling this generic one, and my graphic card has just fried so thats like $50 i don't have anymore from selling it!

so yeah do ya rekon it'd put out atleast say 380-400w?