Sign in to follow this  
ch3ssnut

Budget Gaming Computer

I always look at the brand new prices of the cheapest thing you can knock together when considering a second hand computer.

So I'd look at something like this:

ASUS P5KPL-CM $78

2G-800 TEAM /Kingston /SuperTalent/Strontium $33

W.D. SATA 160G $57

512M 4550 Gigabyte $69

Cel E1400 $71

Pioneer 216 $31

ASUS 400W Vento TA-B21 $65

Total $404 inc GST from MSY

Now, that'd knock the everloving shit out of the second hand PC in the OP in terms of general desktop and gaming performance. Especially if you popped the CPU up to 2.6-3GHz (which would be easy enough). And you've got the added bonus of warranty if something like a video card dying happens.

But if you've got no cash to spare, I guess it's an enterprising soul who makes the best of a bad situation. Kudos, lad.

Edited by tantryl

Thanks for the idea mate, but im only willing to spend like $320 MAX, thats why im going second hand and i'd only need 80GB or maybe less as i have 60GB ATM and still have 20GB left lol, but yeah all those parts ya listed is among the lines of what im looking for. If i ha dthe oney i'd go new from MSY but yeah $320 is the max as i convinced me olds to give me a 3 month early b'day present of $120 (lol lucky me) and i should be able to get like $150 on ebay for all me old parts.

So yeah i just gotta wait till after easter to sell me old parts on ebay, and then hopefully by then my post will be up to 101 and then i can get some parts on here :)

Just buy a decent rig and you wont have things dieing from the terrible PSU lol, I went through this with a friend and only after about 5 hours of arguing why cheap things are no good did I convince him to spend $800 on a decent computer.

edit: if you have to ask your parents for a loan then do that and pay them back like $15 a week or something like that as its better than always having inferior parts, I know it isnt a great argument coming from someone with a high end rig like mine but I started at the bottom like you ie: 486 with win95 > celeron 800 then with winME then a p4 640 with XP ect ect.

Edited by nesquick

Hi, just like to let all those kids out their that love gaming (but are stuck on their parents expensive, overpriced laptop) that building a gaming computer for as cheap as $153 is very possible!

System:

CPU: AMD 2600 2.09Ghz overclocked to 2.20Ghz (came with computer)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VAX (came with computer)

RAM: 3x512mb DDR400 ($0 came free with x1650 pro)

GPU:x1650 Pro AGP 512mb, 128bit,600/800 overclocked to 670/870 ($40)

Power Supply Unit:500 Watt ($50)

Other: Green Neon case fan!!! and Custom Black re-badged case ($1 for badges and $2 for neon case fan, a can of spray paint lying around lol)

HDD: 40GB & 20GB (not much but its all i need lol) (came with computer)

Optical Drive: DVD-R ($10)

TOTAL COST:$50 for computer and $103 for mods

Just letting everyone out their like me who are only 13 and don't have a job so are limited on money, that it is possible to build a half decent gaming computer for just above $153

It plays COD4 fine on about 25-30-40FPS varying on different maps, on a map with lots of fire, smoke etc it does about 25FPS

P.S im about to upgrade to a low end dual core (1.8Ghz) and something like a 4670 (just gotta wait till 4th of July, my birthday)

Cheers Ch3$$nUt and to all you young gamers out their it is very possible to do it and computers are the most simplest things when it comes to modifying them physically

That's a really neat build man, grats and all that :D

That X1650 Pro is actually a decent card, so don't even worry. Just remember that wen you get the dual core you'll have to get a new motherboard as well :-)

Don't worry about the elitists with the best of the best say, as long as it can do what you want, then cool. :D

Don't waste your money on such old tech.

Use fps configs to play current games until you can save enough to buy something current.

:)

Nothing like hunting down retro gear to build a working system. I used to go around looking for PCs at council cleanups and then try to refurbish them. Much fun was had.

Stick around here for a couple of years, and you'll soon become quite the technician.

Yeah im upgrading everything apart from the case and case fan lol. oh and the dvd/cd drive. Im getting a 80gb or 60gb SATA HD, whatever Mobo works, a low end dual core like 2Ghz or sumthing, 2GB of DDr2 800mhz RAM. and i think thats everything, i'll be running on standard onboard sound as now days mobo's alreayd have half decent onboard sound :). Oh and a video card like a 8800GTS or sumthing.

And sorry guys but i really dont have the money nor want to spend that much money on a computer. Im limiting myself on money not because i dont really have it but because i wanna spend money on other things in life like my 1st car!!! lol, keep in mind im only 13 with a job that earns me $20 a week.

I've made a few offers to people hereand their for RAM, Mobo's, graphic cards and CPU's. Just gotta wait till they reply

And i'ev worked out, im gonna spend like $65 on CPU, $70 on Mobo and RAM in a bundle :), $80 on graphic card, $25 on HD, and like $60 on a PSU. The reason i dont wanna upgrade my PSU cause my dad is noob wiht Pc's and thinks that a brand new PSU even if it is generic should be enough. But yeah like i say he's really noob, he once got shitty cause i changed the mouse cursor and it didnt change into a lil hand when over a hyperlink so he didnt know where and when to click lol

Edited by ch3ssnut

Rule number one when upgrading computers: tell the parents to take a backseat instead of trying to tell you whats best trust me on this one unless your dad is up to date with technology he wont understand anything and will just get shitty when you say "no I want this and this and this not that and that" ect ect.

edit: just to show you how close you would be to a decent system that would overclock well and play all the latest games at medium/high (except farcry ect), I did up a build at umart to show you prices (if you live near MSY you could get it a bit cheaper).

-e1400 $71

-Asus P5KPL-CM $75

-2gb 800mhz ram $29

-Sapphire HD4670 $ 125

-WD 160gb sata HDD $57

total- $358

if you really need a PSU they have antec basiq's for $45 which is not a great psu but its cheap I guess or a generic 500w for $27

Edited by nesquick

And Nesquick recommends a "generic 500W PSU?" Never thought I'd see the day. I'll throw out my best attempt at a budget build:

• G31 Mobo ~ $70
  • e5200 CPU ~ $70-80
  • 2GiB 800MHz DDR2 ~ $33
  • HIS 4670 GPU ~ $100
  • Existing HDDs
  • Existing Case
  • Corsair 450VX PSU ~ $72
  • Total (my price estimates may not be right as I live in the 'States...) ~ $355
Something must not be right here... I was shocked at the total damage when I counted it up twice. This could leave room in the budget for a WD 160GiB HDD or optionally some cooling gear for a stable OC at ~3.2GHz.

*Edit* Not too sure about that wattage with an OC/cooling build...

Edited by wlayton27

e5200? for $70-80?? where the firetruck did ya get theese prices?, on MSY their $115. Oh im guessing this is second hand. And yeah thats a fairly good system for $355. But like i say, those prices that i said ($65 on CPU, $70 on Mobo and RAM in a bundle :), $80 on graphic card, $25 on HD, and like $60 on a PSU) is what im limited to, and i found an antec earthwatts 430w on ebay for an alright price whihc i might get and its on hte Recommended PSU's list on here!. And with processor i dont neew 2.5Ghz, slight overkill unless i can get it cheapish

e5200? for $70-80?? where the firetruck did ya get theese prices?, on MSY their $115. Oh im guessing this is second hand. And yeah thats a fairly good system for $355. But like i say, those prices that i said ($65 on CPU, $70 on Mobo and RAM in a bundle :), $80 on graphic card, $25 on HD, and like $60 on a PSU) is what im limited to, and i found an antec earthwatts 430w on ebay for an alright price whihc i might get and its on hte Recommended PSU's list on here!. And with processor i dont neew 2.5Ghz, slight overkill unless i can get it cheapish

Was bein' lazy and just googled "price <component>" and averaged the prices listed on the search table...understanding that US dollars and AU dollars aren't the same thing .... $115 for the E5200 makes better sense on MSY. Gotta stop bein' so lazy.

Recommend the Antec 430w that's listed on the recommended PSU sticky ... should go without saying. :-)

LOL yeah thats alright m8, i was gonna say gimme gimme gimme for that price!!!. But yeah just gotta convince dad i need it, it turns out the one i got now is shit l00k>Power Case 500w. They're saying it only puts out 250w lol, thats what my computer came with and its an old amd 2600! . So yeah hopefully i can flog that shitty PSU off on ebay for atleast $20. And im just going to stick with second hand cause i really can't afford it

maybe make a post in trademart regarding what you want to buy, I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up the following for $300ish

-e6300 (don't pay more than $50)

-old p965 chipset mobo (don't pay more than $50)

-2gb generic stick of ram (don't pay more than $10)

-ati HD3870 or 8800gt (don't pay more than $80 for the 3870 or $85 for the 8800gt)

-earthwatts 380/430 (don't pay more than $50 for the 380 and $60 for the 430)

-160gb HDD shouldnt be a problem for $25ish

the trick here would be to overclock the cpu to around 2.6-2.8ghz to make full use of the videocard.

Edited by nesquick

Yes nesquick is onto it!!!!! thats exactly what i want to do!!! exact!! lol, just if i can get a smaller HD for cheaper then i'll do that, and yeah im gonna make a post, i might just copy and paste that lol. And on stock coolers those e6300's we're eround with all the really cool CPU's so they OC really well up to about 2.5ish on stock coolers and people have been hitting like 3.4 on aftermarket coolers.

But yeah thanks alot nesquick i might jsut copy and paste that lol, but i think i can get this andtec earthwatts PSY cheaper on ebay cause people on ebay are noobs wid computers mostly so they just look at the wattage and think its shit lol

EDIT: oh also i just realised i've hit over 100 post, handy, just gotta wait till they make me a journeyman, well i think thats how it works isnt it?, they make u a journeyman if u get over 100 post?

Edited by ch3ssnut

128 posts my man.

oh and yea go right ahead and use that list as a base if it helps.

here are a few links that might be of interest

cpu:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intel-Core-2-Duo-E6...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/INTEL-CORE-2-DUO-1-...A1%7C240%3A1318

mobo:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gigabyte-GA-P35-DS3...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MSI-G31-M3-L-V2-Mot...A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASUS-P5B-Socket-775...A1%7C240%3A1318

ram:

you can find lol shouldn't be to hard

video card:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NVidia-GeForce-8800...A1%7C240%3A1318

Edited by nesquick

Cheers once again, fuck a duck your handy nes lol. If that 8800gt doesnt go up in price to much i will certainly put a bid in

lol oh fuck!. I just did some research and what i found out is on PSU's the most important things is the amperage on the +12V rail, for the 8800GT it needs a PSU with 26 amps on the +12v rail, and on my current generic PSU it has 16a on the +12v rail lol.

So yeah i definantly need a new one and i convinced dad!! woot. when i explained it to him and then i told him how much mine had he just said "holy shit" lol.

And i found out soem good budget PSU's

380W Antec EarthWatts – 27A

360W Zalman ZM360B-APS – 26A

430W Coolermaster eXtreme 29A

460W Coolermaster eXtreme 26A

450W Vantec ION2+ 30A

adn at MSY they have the 450W Vantec ION2+ for $53! So i think i might just get that seen as its better than the rest and a gd price

EDITL: the current one i got now which si branded with generic brand, i rang the guy and its actually a seasonic one, he asy it should do the job but he'll do some research and find out :)

Edited by ch3ssnut

The 8800gt itself only needs 72w at full load http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264 (thanks to mark84) which means it only needs 6amps from the total supplied on the 12v rail so lets look at the rest of the system and find out what you really need (going on the parts I showed you before)

-cpu 65w unoverclocked and about 70-80w overclocked

-mobo and ram ~20w

-HDD ~5w

-8800gt 72w

-peripherals and fans ~10w

total is 187w which is about 16amps so figuratively speaking any of those PSU's on the list ^ will run the system well as it will be around the 40-60% total output which is the most efficient area they run at.

Yeah. My current PSU has 16 amps though, so shouldn't the current one be fine? and it is seasonic so yeah

Ok i've thought about it more, the graphic card im getting is gonna be about 90w load power consumption, and if i get new SATA HD's you'd think they'd be better with power consumption. And my current processor uses 63w and a new one uses about 65w, so about the same, and a new mobo and ram would use about the same power,my x1650 pro supposably uses up to 160w on load! and im using the same fans and peripherals. So you'd think if it runs fine now, then it should with te new stuff

I don't know who keeps telling you crazy things like a budget card uses 160w on load but it makes me LOL every time.

Just use that link I posted it will tell you what you need to know.

edit: I just saw your biding on that 3850 in trademart, I would suggest trying to do a deal and get that mobo as well and get a discount for buying 2 things in one sale.

Edited by nesquick

Yeah thats a good idea, turns out it was a price check/sale though and he said its an old thread and has died :(. i'll just make a wanted post

I don't know who keeps telling you crazy things like a budget card uses 160w on load but it makes me LOL every time.

Just use that link I posted it will tell you what you need to know.

edit: I just saw your biding on that 3850 in trademart, I would suggest trying to do a deal and get that mobo as well and get a discount for buying 2 things in one sale.

i found it here, x1650 pro power consumption

What a fucking good thread. Reminds me of the bullshit threads I used to make on 2.6. Sigh...

On a $320 budget the best I could pull was:

Intel Celeron E1400 - $71

WD 160GB Sata HDD - $59

Sony DVD-RW - $28

Asus TA-B21 - $65

2GB Team 800 DDR2 - $32

Gigabyte HD4550 - $69

Asus P5KCL-CM - $78

Total: $402

$82 over budget but I guess you can't do much with $320. You could have bought this computer for less last year when the dollar was 98c US. Now everything has gone up so much it's complete bullshit.

I'm running a similar setup to your current computer with an AthlonXP 1800+ with a 7600GS and 512MB Ram. Motherboard is some MSI piece of shit that won't let me pass a certain amount of FSB before USB ports stop working. Going to swap motherboards soon for some ASRock one I used to use. The point is, this thing is still snappy and I can play games on it ok. It's not wonderful but it's pretty good for it's age. With $320 I suggest you just get upgrades for it like a new good looking case, some good cooling, and an overclockable 2nd hand motherboard off eBay and maybe another 512MB ram to make it 2GB. (I like whole numbers LOL)

Or just beg your parents for that extra $82.

Yeah i've been offered a BFG 8800GTS for $65, but the guy seems to take 2 days to answer a personal message, and im going away for 7 days in about an hour so i'll have to wait :P

and yeah im just going for second hand stuff off of here and ebay, i really just can't afford to go brand new stuff. And im alraedy getting $120 of me olds to upgrade, so yer another $80 is HIGHLY unlikely