Sign in to follow this  
ch3ssnut

Budget Gaming Computer

oh and, my mum rekons she'll pay for the PSU but its an extra $110 for the next one up at my local, they're so fucking stupid and they only want to do it so thye can use the computer aswell. annoying.

And i thought i could just get the 450W Vantec ION2+ 30A on 12v rail. From MSY its $53 and is ment to be a gd PSU

The Vantec isn't bad but it won't exactly give you 500w as it says. It's not an 80 Plus certified PSU.

You can hardly get any 80 Plus PSU's for under $100. Try looking for an Antec Earthwatts 380w/430w and you might find luck. The 500w version is now $130. I remember I got mine 2 years ago for $95. The stupid dollar...

The 8600GTS for $65 is extremely good value. It can do 6000 points on 3DMark06 which is impressive. I suggest you don't get it though, your motherboard being AGP and the 8600GTS being PCI-E.

Dude just get better cooling, more ram, a new case, a proper PSU that will last, and perhaps a DVD-RW if you don't have one. Oh and it has to be IDE because the mobo seems to be ancient. And invest it case fans. Simple 80mm Coolermaster ones are $5 a pop from MSY and they're good.

For $320 I'd get:

Asus TA-B21 $65 (Picture http://www.asus.com.cn/event/2008/0602chas...p_image001.jpg)

eBay yourself some generic DDR400. Should be $20 for 1GB of the stuff. Matching sticks are always preferred. 2GB recommended.

Sony DVD-RW IDE $28

Arctic Silver Ceramique 22g $11

Gigabyte PCU22VG 3D Rocket Pro $65 (Comes with required clips)

Should be around $250 for all this.

And for $70 the PSU can be the Vantec 500w as you wanted.

Nothing much Nesquick. I'm still the same poor young bastard that once roamed the threads. I ditched Atomic for OCAU for a while haha.

What about you?

Edit: Oh what the hell man you have 2 x 4890's already? You organize the crime syndicate or something? Last thing I bought was my RAM and that was mid last year. Look at what the recession has done to me.

Edited by Tech-Kid

Nothing much Nesquick. I'm still the same poor young bastard that once roamed the threads. I ditched Atomic for OCAU for a while haha.

What about you?

Edit: Oh what the hell man you have 2 x 4890's already? You organize the crime syndicate or something? Last thing I bought was my RAM and that was mid last year. Look at what the recession has done to me.

Heh nah man I just save in little ways for example I don't drink or smoke so thats like $100 extra a week in my pocket and after a while you have a fair bit of spare coin saved up but I didn't intend to buy new cards its just my HD4850 kicked the bucket and I had sold my other 4870 since I didn't really need it and yea I figured good things come in two :P

hehe tech kid i can't OC my CPU anymore cause its wall is 2.3Ghz so its no real point upgrading for better cooling, adn i dont really need more RAM as i already have 2GB of DDR 400, and im not much of a case person but i did paint my old white one and chuck in a green LED fan, but im definen\\antly upgrading PSU if i upgrade my whole system which i should.

so i figured i'll spend

$50 on 2nd hand CPU from here or ebay

$80 on graphic card and i will look into getting an 8600GTS if they are only $65 if i dont get this 8800GTS

$70 on motherboard ($65 one from MSY (ASUS P5KPL)

$?? on PSU but i'll probably get the vantec one as its been recomended and its supposably good ($53)

$20 on RAM (DDR2 800)

and im pretty sure thats everything TOTAL of :$280 and i get $100 from selling old stuff adn $120 from olds so $220 and i can put in $60 anyways

oh adn where can i get this 8600gts for $65 from if i dont get this other one?

OCAU has a trademart orientated area as well you might have luck in there buying/selling things if you have no luck here first (of course)

ok quick question, wil a antec truepower 430w be good enough for what nessy is offering me +normal DDr2 800 RAM

-XFX 8600gt OC

-MAXTOR 160gb HDD

-Asus m2n sli deluxe NF570 chipset

-AM2 4000+ dual core Brisbane with Heatsink

It has 20A on 12V rail, 36A on 5V rail and 28A on 3.3V rail

So is it good enough?

Edited by ch3ssnut

ok quick question, wil a antec truepower 430w be good enough for what nessy is offering me +normal DDr2 800 RAM

-XFX 8600gt OC

-MAXTOR 160gb HDD

-Asus m2n sli deluxe NF570 chipset

-AM2 4000+ dual core Brisbane with Heatsink

It has 20A on 12V rail, 36A on 5V rail and 28A on 3.3V rail

So is it good enough?

should be fine, that stuff a few months ago came out a of a computer with an earthwatts 380 that never struggled or got hot, I am testing that stuff tomorrow man since no one is going to be around to need their computers so I don't have to ruin my cable management job in my case :P Edited by nesquick

no luck yet at getting it to work, either the mobo or cpu is dead and I cant test each individually those bloody AMD stock heatsinks shit me so much lol, anyone who throws off at intel stock heatsinks should try one of these.

Edited by nesquick

lol well im unsure of what ya can do unless ya have a m8 who has a socket AM2 mobo or CPU lol, but u did say that the mobo MAY have a stuffed PCI eX 16x slot so its possibly the whole mobo thats shat itself lol. Hmm i don't know what ya can do

What about the 8600GTS? do you know if thats working?

That will be tested tomorrow, to my understanding its still fine, its a factory overclocked GT btw.

ok, lol oh yer forgot that

EDIT:it seems like its the motherboard thats faulty seen as ya had trouble with the graphic card working in it b4 and now it just wont work at all. So i think i might get this mobo that stoolsample is selling (K9AG Neo2-Digital) and take the x2 4000+, 160GB HDD and the 8600GT. And my olds are gonna pay for a new PSU only because their stuck on a shite laptop, but to keep em of mine im just not gonna have microsoft office which is mainly what they use :). And atfer that all i'll need is the RAM then im done, hopefully.

Edited by ch3ssnut

This is my favorite type of building and troubleshooting thread, where there is a strict budget :)

I really advise moving up to dual core, and aiming for one of the cheap intel CPU's (they overclock like mad, my old e2140 has been running at 3.2ghz (1.6ghz stock) for about a year and a bit).

Also, see if you can rally funds from other family members (Grandparents are great for this), because even an extra $30 can go a huge way on a ultra low budget build. Do not skimp on a PSU, I did for my first build and fried about $200 worth of hardware (I loved that old celly). Buy second hand on the trading sections of here and OCAU (things are wayy cheaper that buying new or on ebay, though from memory you have to be a member of ocau for 6 months before you can use the trading forums)

thats about all my advice for now :)

Good luck,

hobo

I don't even know about the cpu as well, it could be causing the problem and the board is fine, if I cant get them to work I will send some games or something I know work for sure do you have world at war and dead space?

lol ohk then. Umm nope don't have either of em lol.

So can you test em? cause then i know if i should put an official bid in on this board that stoolsample's selling.

Hmmm this is a tough one lol.

And yeah hobo intel are shitloads better but their mobo's seem to be shitloads dearer lol. I was thinking if the mobo works from nesquik i could put in an extra $30 on a CPU to make the total CPU budget $80 which could buy a new x2 5200 almost. But yeah my bloudy parents are the ones stopping me from buying from here, all they ever say is "what if i doesn't work?" or "what if ya don't get the item?" and i just say its called trust and then they say "you don't even know the person" etc etc, very annoying.

Edited by ch3ssnut

I gotta agree it is really easy... I've got so much shit for free over the last couple of months

Number 1: Athlon xp 2200+, 768mb ram, geforce 2, dvd burner all for free with case etc. all i needed was to add a hdd and network card

number 2: Dell p4 1.7, 512mb ram, Geforce 2, with case etc. once again all i needed to add was hdd and network card

number 3: got a case/psu, hdd, ram, cpu, vid card all i had to add was a motherboard ended up with my file server (had the other hdd's lying around) got all of this within 6 months

Yeah i just need to find out if the mobo or CPU works or if their both faulty, is their anyway to find out otherwise i'll just buy this mobo and test the CPU and if it doesnt work then ya know the mobo works, and then i can just buy another CPU

I think their both dead man I cant even get it to turn on, cpu in everything connected it lights up for half a second then nothing, cpu out and it does exactly the same thing

I hate old tech its always a pain in the ass.

Yeah i was thinking i'd get the Foxconn N570SM2AA from MSY its $45 has SLI suports AM2 CPU's and is ment to be a pretty good overclocker. And then i just have to get a AM2 CPU, and if the 8600gt works i'll get that from you then 2gb of DDR2 ram and im set!

Edited by ch3ssnut

Ok awesome, don't worry about testing the HDD as you did say it works well. I've sent a PM asking for your address and how muhc ya want for it all and other things etc

cheers chessnut

Edited by ch3ssnut