Sign in to follow this  
corboy

Headphones and speakers : Livin' la vida loca.

I like to be able to watch movies/TV shows etc on my pc via speakers.

I also like to play games and talk on vent via my headphones.

I really dislike having to unplug either my headphones or speakers to use the other.

Are there any products or solutions that means I can switch between the two without having to crawl under my desk? (Fnarr! Fnarr!)

Thank you for your time.

First up you should be able to set up the front audio jacks on your case so plugging the headphones in mute the speakers. This is set up in the audio software of the soundcard you are using. Otherwise something like a 8Plantronics 2 Way Audio Switch.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-plantronics-s...75-1565486.html

As I use 5.1 speakers and 5.1 headphones I just use three flyleads from the rear of my case and swap the plugs over between speakers and headset.

Stop being lazy? Move your computer so its easy?

Isnt quality lost when plugging in headphones into the speakerhp jack?

Depends on personal prefrence i guess, i dont have speakers and use my headppones all the time, i did have speakers however they broke :'(

no, noticble quality is not lost.

look for a 3.5mm splitter. easiest way dude, is to probably just have both running all the time. dick smith or any electronics store will have a 1 to 2 audio plug adaptor.

Hm, i thought that the quality lost was quite significant.

If it were me, i would go with what aliali is suggesting. I have seen them before and know they work quite well.

Even though it is a more expensive alternative to a simple 3.5mm splitter.

IF you were to get a 3.5mm jack splitter I would advise against getting the el-cheapo from dse...its seems poorly made and the jacks can become loose, the website does not give it justice.

I would suggest something branded or non-dse. Even if it does end up costing a few more dollars :P

Edited by Archi

as someone who has pulled apart several simple splitters, they're all made the same way.

from the $30 belkin ipod splitters to the $1 DSE and #2 jaycar splitters, identical internal components.

I dont mean to argue or anyhting, and if you have an example feel free to post, but i know for certain that the ones ive checked into are identical no matter the cost. you pay for branding.

as someone who has pulled apart several simple splitters, they're all made the same way.

from the $30 belkin ipod splitters to the $1 DSE and #2 jaycar splitters, identical internal components.

I dont mean to argue or anyhting, and if you have an example feel free to post, but i know for certain that the ones ive checked into are identical no matter the cost. you pay for branding.

I did not mean the wiring inside or anything like that, the build quality of the generic dse splitter, from experience is very poor and is not the same as others. It does not fit in 3.5mm jacks correctly...dont ask me how :S And when turned at certain angles does not reproduce/transmit audio

Im not saying buy the rip-off belkin one...and at $30 seems like a bloody rip off just that from experience that the dse hp splitter is rather poor.

Now your experiences may be different, im just sharing mine :P