Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ahsoka

Dell copies Apple's MacBook Air.

I found an ad on a site for this, and I clicked on it out of curiosity.

It's called Adamo. I'll admit it's rather sexy, but...it's a Dell.

Specs:

-basic model-

ADMIRE

Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor (1.2GHz)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 64 bit Edition

2GB 800MHz DDR3 dual-channel memory2

128GB3 solid state drive

-bigger balls model-

DESIRE

Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor (1.4GHz)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 64 bit Edition

4GB 800MHz DDR3 dual-channel memory2

128GB3 solid state drive

Mobile Broadband4

-stuff they have in common-

SHARED FEATURES

Super-thin 13.4-inch 16:9 (High Definition; 720p) WLED display

Full-size keyboard with back-lighting and scalloped, metallic key cap design

Integrated 1.3 megapixel camera and integrated digital microphone

IO: Display Port (with external DVI adapter included), USBx3 (1 eSATA combination), Audio Out and integrated RJ-45 port

Communications: Gigabit LOM, Bluetooth 2.1, 802.11n (3x3)

5+ hr battery life using Li-Polymer cells; 40 Whr

Compact power adapter

Dimensions: (w x d x h) 13.03 x 9.5 x 0.65 in (331 x 242 x 16.39 mm)

Weight: 1.81 kg (4.0 lb)5

1 Year Premier Service

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a picture of what it's competing with:

Posted Image

Adamo was unveiled at CES 2009. I can't get a price off Dell's website though.

Linky: http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/top...;l=en&s=gen

Seriously though, what's the point of these notebooks? They're heavier and larger (and a lot more expensive) than a netbook, they're not particularly powerful, and well...I can't really think of a purpose for them. Can you?

ahsoka

Edited by ahsoka

Uh, they're significantly more powerful than netbooks.

In terms of computations speed the Core 2 line knocks the ever loving stuffing out of the Atom line per MHz. The Atom 1.6GHz is about the equivalent of maybe a Core 2 0.4GHz. If that.

Edited by tantryl

In terms of computations speed the Core 2 line knocks the ever loving stuffing out of the Atom line per MHz. The Atom 1.6GHz is about the equivalent of maybe a Core 2 400MHz.

Okay mybad. I'll fix that up.

I hardly see how it's copying an Air.

It's an ultra-portable. They've been around for a long time before the Air mate.

It's an ultra-portable. They've been around for a long time before the Air mate.

The official site said something about it being machined out of aluminium. Unibody anyone?

I guess that there's a position in the market for it, since the only big name ultra-portable on the market is the Air, which runs Mac OS.

Really, mare than anything these laptops have both been for brand recognition. I mean, rather than saying 'Apple makes laptops', you can say 'Apple makes the thinnest laptop <cue Jeremy Clarkson> in the world!'.

The official site said something about it being machined out of aluminium. Unibody anyone?

Apple invented aluminium?

Apple invented laptops.

Apple invented laptops.

Really?

No, but they invented the Unibody.

Okay, so maybe Dell didn't so much 'copy' Apple, but rather emulated? This notebook is clearly aimed at the MacBook Air buyer (the few of them that actually exist :P).

So what does this have to do with Dell 'copying' the Macbook Air by using an aluminium frame?

EDIT: Dude. Ultraportables aren't new. It's aimed at the ultraportable market, not the Macbook Air market. -_-

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

So what does this have to do with Dell 'copying' the Macbook Air by using an aluminium frame?

EDIT: Dude. Ultraportables aren't new. It's aimed at the ultraportable market, not the Macbook Air market. -_-

AFAIK Most ultra portables are either aimed at business customers, whereas the MacBook Air (which is an ultra-portable, no one's arguing against that) is centred around creating desire. The Adamo also seems to focus on the "OMG - I want that!" moment. I could be wrong, but that's the impression it's giving me.

ahsoka

AFAIK Most ultra portables are either aimed at business customers, whereas the MacBook Air (which is an ultra-portable, no one's arguing against that) is centred around creating desire. The Adamo also seems to focus on the "OMG - I want that!" moment. I could be wrong, but that's the impression it's giving me.

ahsoka

No computer is 'centred around creating desire'. Yes, it's aesthetically pleasing, but so are most other portable computers these days. Not sure why people have this mentality that PC = ugly, Mac = pretty.

Back tracking a bit but:

In terms of computations speed the Core 2 line knocks the ever loving stuffing out of the Atom line per MHz. The Atom 1.6GHz is about the equivalent of maybe a Core 2 0.4GHz. If that.

Not all the Atom CPUs are single core.

Though I would point that out...

ahsoka

No computer is 'centred around creating desire'. Yes, it's aesthetically pleasing, but so are most other portable computers these days. Not sure why people have this mentality that PC = ugly, Mac = pretty.

It might have something to do with this:

Posted Image

vs

Posted Image

:P

In all seriousness, I'm going to have to disagree with you - can you think of a proper use for ultra-portables that other products can't do better? Assuming you answer no, OEMs have to find a way to sell these products, and they do that by creating desire. They want it to be love at first site. Otherwise they wouldn't really sell any units. And they can sell them for quite a pretty penny if someone's willing to buy them.

If you answered 'yes', please share your idea with us :)

ahsoka

Edited by ahsoka

Yes.

Ultraportables are just that: Fairly decently powered computers with killer battery life and are light-weight.

The perfect device for a road-warrior. Or me.

I want an ultra-portable.

:)

Back tracking a bit but:

Not all the Atom CPUs are single core.

Though I would point that out...

There's the Atom 330, but that's intended for desktops.

And it would still be shat on from a great height by a Core 2 CPU of similar MHz.

There's a few reasons Atom CPUs don't consume much power, and one of the big one's is it can't do as much per cycle.

This compares it to the severely gimped version of the Core 2, the Celeron E1200. Even The E1200 beats it by 40%.

And here you can see it getting absolutely trounced by an Athlon X2 4850 and Phenom X4 9850.

Yes.

Ultraportables are just that: Fairly decently powered computers with killer battery life and are light-weight.

How is a normal laptop not good for that?

But it does serve a purpose, Microsoft can give some overenthusiastic, ranga retard some cash and film them buying one after dissapointedly walking out of the Apple store of course. :)

Then they can use the footage in their latest Ad campaign.

Edited by hill60606

Yes.

Normal laptop:

- Small battery life

- Heavy

- Bulky

Ultraportable:

- Significantly larger battery life

- Light

- Thin profile

You'll soon learn to appreciate the differences if you ever go to uni.

Yes.

A normal laptop is not thin, lightweight, nor does it have decent battery life.

Yes.

A normal laptop is not thin, lightweight, nor does it have decent battery life.

You can get relatively thin, lightweight notebooks with decent battery life for much less than an ultra-portable.