Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

So my laptop only turns on when it's up-side-down...

I need a new laptop. Current one is 5 years old, and I haven't played a PC-based game in almost that long. (And yes, the HDD seems to be wearing out its gears, so it really does only boot up when it's up-side-down.)

I'm looking at a couple of options, and the main difference is the graphics.

One has a 256Mb set up and the other a 512Mb set up.

The lower spec one is about $350 cheaper.

Woul the difference be a big deal when gaming? And is it worth the price difference?

cheers all!

If you like gaming on a lappy, then yes, the 512mb would make a difference, and depending upon game settings used, possibly a big difference too.

Also about your old lappy, have you tried cleaning the battery connection points, on the lappy as well as on the battery???

I'm guessing that this oddness only happens when powered by batt and not mains.

Nah it's mains. Battery complately died years ago and I've been using it on mains-only, pretty much as a desktop machine really.

Hmm, so I should seriously consider the 512Mb, cheers (-:

Are they the same model GPU only one has more memory?

Or are they different GPUs?

If the 256 is say a notebook version of say 3850 and the 512 is a 7900GT then the 256 is better.

Sounds like a dodgy main socket issue in your old one or this person has been using it

Posted Image

As for GPU, give us more details. More VRAM isn't better if the GPU with more VRAM is slower.

Edited by Jeruselem

Okay here's the specs.

Dearer Lappy:

CORE 2 DUO P9400 - 2.53GHz, 15.4", 4GB RAM, 320Gb HDD, DVD-RW

512Mb nVIDIA GeForce 9300GS

Cheaper Lappy:

CORE 2 DUO P8600 - 2.4GHz, 15.4", 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD-RW

256MB ATI HD3470

So the specs are a bit different in other respects, but I'd imagine the main difference is the GFX?

And there's a third alternative. This one is the cheapest of the three:

CORE 2 DUO P8400 - 2.2GHz, 16"W, 2GB, 250GB, DVD-RW

512MB nVIDIA 9600M GS

Would that one be better than the middle one?

Okay here's the specs.

Dearer Lappy:

CORE 2 DUO P9400 - 2.53GHz, 15.4", 4GB RAM, 320Gb HDD, DVD-RW

512Mb nVIDIA GeForce 9300GS

Cheaper Lappy:

CORE 2 DUO P8600 - 2.4GHz, 15.4", 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD-RW

256MB ATI HD3470

So the specs are a bit different in other respects, but I'd imagine the main difference is the GFX?

And there's a third alternative. This one is the cheapest of the three:

CORE 2 DUO P8400 - 2.2GHz, 16"W, 2GB, 250GB, DVD-RW

512MB nVIDIA 9600M GS

Would that one be better than the middle one?

The third has the best GFX.

So do you think it's the best gaming laptop even given the lower RAM and CPU specs?

What brand is this?

The first, highest spec one, is an Asus, the other two are Acers.

Definitely the 9300GS then, if it is ASUS, it will be built better than the Acer and most likely live for a couple of years after the warranty runs out, instead of two hours.

Definitely the 9300GS then, if it is ASUS, it will be built better than the Acer and most likely live for a couple of years after the warranty runs out, instead of two hours.

+1

Cool. So apart from build quality though, would the ower spec chip and 1 or 2Gb less RAM make much of a difference to the running of games?

Only a touch, I find WoW to run a little laggy on my N10 and the CPU is what causes it.

You would be better to go a lower spec chip and ram in an asus with a good GPU than a high spec chip and RAM on a moderate GPU'd Acer because it's board will shit itsself on you after a few months and you will be stuck playing nothing but tetris.

Hmm, is Acer really that bad? Acer has a 1 year warranty and Asus has a 2 year warranty, but the Asus is $450 more expensive and I'm really trying to save the money.

Is it false economy?

Trust me, you will not regret it, I have owned the following brands / models (if I remember it I will post it) of Notebook.

They will be marked on the score out of 10 for usability for their purpose. (1 lowest - 10 highest)

Acer - 15" something or other. - 2

Toshiba - Satellite Pro P100 - 8.5

Asus Pro80JR - 9

Asus E1000H - 9.9

Asus N10J - 10

Dell XPS M1730 - 6

I do rate the ASUS ones in a semi bias way, but it is because of them working the way I want them to.

I sold the Pro80 due to needing money more than 4 laptops.

I sold the Acer due to Squidy needing it more than I and it not being very good for my use.

I use the Dell for work, and wish it would.

The Netbooks, are fantastic, and the E1000H is being used by the GF for browsing and emails and shit, whilst I use my N10 for games, media, work and so much more.

Hmm, is Acer really that bad? Acer has a 1 year warranty and Asus has a 2 year warranty, but the Asus is $450 more expensive and I'm really trying to save the money.

Is it false economy?

I agree with lunchy that Asus has better build quality than Acer, but the 9600 will shit all over 9300.

The 9300 is as good as integrated GFX.

you'll find a lot of people with acer blood on their hands. Lately (say, last couple of years) acer have been fine. Usually feel a little more plastic, and if you drop it say bye, but for actual day to day use, they're not bad. (anymore)

As for gaming, go the third lappy imo. 9600 mobile chip isnt bad, and it'll play most games. sure, they may be on 800X600 @ low quality with no AA settings when yo try to play the latest first person shooter.

But WoW, anything on the SOURCE engine (so left4dead, TF2, counterstrike etc), and really the most important on a portable system, EMULATORS! (n64 and sega bitches!) will run sweet as imo. Still not at high graphics, but they should be smooth.

Is it false economy?

I agree with lunchy that Asus has better build quality than Acer, but the 9600 will shit all over 9300.

The 9300 is as good as integrated GFX.

Yea, the 9600 is better, but in a shitty machine it won't do too much.

look at reviews, make sure you get the extended warranty options from wherever you buy it and enjoy your acer.

If it fucks up (unlikely these days IMO) then warranty it.

Hey it turns out I can get a HP with identical specs to the third (Acer) machine for $100 more.

Reckon it's worth the $100 for build quality reasons?

Hey it turns out I can get a HP with identical specs to the third (Acer) machine for $100 more.

Reckon it's worth the $100 for build quality reasons?

Details of this HP? Model no too.

I have a compaq (built by HP) and its survived drops, 40 degree heat, spills, and the only thing thats ever failed is the HDD.

go for the HP. they build them nicely.