Sign in to follow this  
2SHY

New Asus X58 Nehalem Series Motherboard Launch Detailed

Asus have revealed their new X58 Chipset imaginatively named ASUS P6T Deluxe

Asus P6T Photos

Has Software that allows overclocking in Windows Vista without rebooting includes voltage micro changes

Super Hybrid Engine = Mix of Peformance = TurboV /Power Saving=EPU.

OC Palm Interface

Specifications:

Supports New LGA 1366 Socket

8 Processing threads 4 Cores

SMT = Simtaneous Multi Threading [that be netburst then]

Large 8MB SHARED cache improves data intensive workouts

Intergrated Memory Controller

Tri-Channel of DDR3 32gb/sec

Intel QuickPath Interconnect

2 X PCI-Express 2.0 16

ICH10R

Onboard Power /Reset Switch

ExpressGate SSD

True 16+2 Phase Power

SAS Onboard

8 Layer PCB

100% Japanese Made Solid Capacitors

Note the confidentail in the images

funny battery setup.

Funny, but it looks like a good improvement over conventional configurations, takes up less space on the motherboard and alot easier to take out when needed for those times that a clear cmos just doesn't do trick.

cheers

Is it just me or does that board look a little wonky... I mean a bit uneven around the edges.

Oh and Lazzarus, I wouldn't count your chips just yet.

BTW

A preview of the MSI X58 Eclipse:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10000/msi_ne...8_eclipse_mobo/

I wonder what kind of cooling arrangement it'll have?

yeas, the Asus board doesn't look square (well, rectangular), does it - I wonder if it's the board, or the camera angle?

I'd love to get one of these X58/i7 setups when they're released - the scary thing is the thought of buying all that DDR3 RAM....jeebus that's gonna hurt the wallet - maybe they'll release some 'reasonably priced' 3 channel sets to coincide? (fingers crossed)

thinks: Corsair Dominator's would look pretty sweet with the coolers attached!

it would certainly work out to be a pricey PC.......just when I was beginning to think that the price of computer bits was coming right down, Intel have to go and raise the bar!

so, it looks like this stuff should hit the shelves in a few weeks.....just about the time that I'll be coming into a nice little pile of $$$'s to spend......

BTW

A preview of the MSI X58 Eclipse:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10000/msi_ne...8_eclipse_mobo/

I wonder what kind of cooling arrangement it'll have?

yeas, the Asus board doesn't look square (well, rectangular), does it - I wonder if it's the board, or the camera angle?

I'd love to get one of these X58/i7 setups when they're released - the scary thing is the thought of buying all that DDR3 RAM....jeebus that's gonna hurt the wallet - maybe they'll release some 'reasonably priced' 3 channel sets to coincide? (fingers crossed)

thinks: Corsair Dominator's would look pretty sweet with the coolers attached!

it would certainly work out to be a pricey PC.......just when I was beginning to think that the price of computer bits was coming right down, Intel have to go and raise the bar!

so, it looks like this stuff should hit the shelves in a few weeks.....just about the time that I'll be coming into a nice little pile of $$$'s to spend......

DDR3 has come down in price quite a bit now, the 1333Mhz stuff is at a not too expensive price. And seeing as now that AMD will be DDR3 compatible at the end of this year, expect prices to come down to a nice affordable price, for at least a 2GB kit.

Osama i wouldn't be too worried, forcing consumers to use ddr3 is one of the best things that can happen when it's on a platform that enthusiasts actually want to use. Look at ddr2, it was out for a long time but stayed stagnant at pc5300 max, simply because that speed was fine for the majority of users and the demand for higher clocked frequencies just wasn’t there. But as soon as amd swapped to ddr2 and intel released core2 things took off, yeah there was a slight hiccup with production levels of 800mhz+ dimms that saw prices go higher than they should have, but they levelled off. Therefore i would certainly expect the demand and thus development of ddr3 products to take off shortly, which will also drive down the price of standard clocked modules. The only possible issue at hand is a voltage issue that could force ddr3 dimms to use lower voltages thus a quick ramp up in ddr3 speeds might not occur. But the current word has it that motherboard makers have been able to split the memory controller and memory voltages, thus allowing higher voltages to be used on memory modules. But only time will tell how this resolves itself, hopefully everything will be fine and they get are able to get the right balance between supply and demand this time.

That msi board looks nothing like an msi board, hopefully it's a sign that msi are getting back into the game with some high quality and reliable products, they used to be brilliant but in recent times they really couldn't compete with the likes of asus and gigabyte.

cheers

I hope you're right m0zes, as SceptreCore pointed out, it has already come down in price quite a bit, but I expect it'll be quite a while before it reaches DDR2 prices, but, even if it costs around $200 for 4G of high speed quality RAM, I'll be happy enough - that's about the cost of 4G Corsair Dominator at the moment, which is what I'm running.

yeh, I reckon manufacturers will sort out the RAM/CPU problem, if they haven't already!

I wonder what the DFI X58 board will be like? pity that they invariably take so long to get them right before they release them....well sort of, I want one, but it's good that they put the hours in - version 1.0 boards are generally a bummer in my experience.

That msi board looks nothing like an msi board, hopefully it's a sign that msi are getting back into the game with some high quality and reliable products, they used to be brilliant but in recent times they really couldn't compete with the likes of asus and gigabyte.

cheers

MSI have always made quality products, although they have dropped the ball on some of their cheap boards. None the less, the AMD boards that MSI make are some of the best you can buy, top notch stuff.

Osama, Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 4GB kit with DHX: http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...oducts_id=74615

and a 2GB kit of 1333MHz: http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...oducts_id=74609

so yeah expect the prices to be quite cheaper by next year.

I'm hoping the i7/X58 setups will be available next month......my current setup isn't really worthwhile upgrading with anything that's available atm:

E8400 @ 3.84G/Tuniq Tower 120/P5Q/4G Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz/HD3870X2/3x 320G in RAID_5 (OS)/2x 500g in RAID_0/DVICO Dual Digital4/sb Audigy/L'tech diNOVO K'board & mouse/650w Antec/Antec 900/28" Viewsonic/XPx64/L'tech G25

3DMark06: 17,337 CPU: 3568

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8054601

3DMark05: 25,659 CPU: 16,940

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=4464669

3DMark03: 67,306 CPU: 2,672

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=5928772

3DMark2001SE: 69,391

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9413271

I want something new and different

cheers

MSI have always made quality products, although they have dropped the ball on some of their cheap boards. None the less, the AMD boards that MSI make are some of the best you can buy, top notch stuff.

Amd board wise perhaps they have lifted their game, they certainly where not worth considering when i was running an amd based system. But for intel based boards i can't agree, their products just aren't up to the standard that they used to be, i can't remember the last time i have seen someone recommend an msi motherboard for a core2 based system? Stll i know how good they used to be and how good they could be agian so here's hoping there's good things ahead.

Osama that's a damn solid system, a graphics card upgrade in a while should give you plenty of life out of it yet, hopefully enough for memory prices to settle and the new platform to establish itself.

cheers

it pulls average 30fps in Crysis on high - the only card worth looking at is a 4870X2.......hardly worth the bother for the performance increase.......I want something entirely new/worthwhile, then get a 4870X2...or 2x mebbe.....wtf!

I don't know how worth while nehalem is going to be from a gaming perspective though. No doubt it will give a boost to frame rates, but on it's own it's not going to make crysis any more playable. For that it lies in the hands of the graphics card companies and i'd be highly surprised if your e8400 @ 3.8 couldn't happily run the next gen of cards. It comes down to buying yourself some more time for the new platform to settle into the market. A graphics card upgrade is always an easy choice, it will buy you some more time and you can happily move it into your new system and get a further boost, win, win.

cheers

The 4870x2? Yeah they are a rather toasty card, but then again they run no hotter than the x1900xtx, 90 degrees under load for a single chip based card, compared to around the same temps for a dual chip card is rather good. You can either strap some water cooling onto it, or perhaps 2x thermalright hr-03 if they are compatible with the retention holes.

cheers

cheers

Amd board wise perhaps they have lifted their game, they certainly where not worth considering when i was running an amd based system. But for intel based boards i can't agree, their products just aren't up to the standard that they used to be, i can't remember the last time i have seen someone recommend an msi motherboard for a core2 based system? Stll i know how good they used to be and how good they could be agian so here's hoping there's good things ahead.

How dare you come in here and insult my favorite motherboard manufacturer.

I will have you know that they still make great boards for both platforms, but Atomic haven't tested any of their newer models. They are too busy checking out identical ASUS motherboards with different BIOS's and price ranges.

they do seem to only review Asus and Gigabyte boards for some unknown reason - guess they must be paying their wages - I'd like to see a real comparison from them some day.

Here here to that, but the day that happens is the day that m0zes stops putting 'cheers' at the end of every post. :P