Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
silver rose

Caffeine

I always find it very strange when people are surprised that caffeine makes tired.

When I drink coffee and drinks that have caffeine in it (the only one I drink is Jolt), I do it to calm me down, especially when I'm getting ready for work or am at work.

I've always had this reaction, sometimes I just don't react to it at all, but when I do, it makes me tired and I get the best night sleep when I drink it before bed.

I also have the opposite reactions to amphetamines and alcohol, calms me down and keeps me awake, respectively.

I had always assumed it was my ADD that did it, but I'm not entirely sure, my brother and sister react to caffeine the way most normal people do.

So how do you react to caffeine? Are you normal, or a weirdo like me?

And do you react differently to anyother substance than that it was made for?

I always find it very strange when people are surprised that caffeine makes tired.

When I drink coffee and drinks that have caffeine in it (the only one I drink is Jolt), I do it to calm me down, especially when I'm getting ready for work or am at work.

I've always had this reaction, sometimes I just don't react to it at all, but when I do, it makes me tired and I get the best night sleep when I drink it before bed.

I also have the opposite reactions to amphetamines and alcohol, calms me down and keeps me awake, respectively.

I had always assumed it was my ADD that did it, but I'm not entirely sure, my brother and sister react to caffeine the way most normal people do.

I'm trying to think what I consume that has caffeine. Chocolate? Milo?

depends on my body and how much sleep I've had.

If I'm tired, it makes me sleepy.

If I have a lot of it, it might keep me awake a little bit, but by and large it doesn't really have much of an effect one way or the other on me.

It makes my skin flush. If I drink it regularly I get lots of breakouts. It also causes emotional ups and downs. It's really bad for me - but I love it. Well, the up parts at least. I've just given it up again - hopefully this time I'll be able to stay 'clean' =).

PS Thank god I've never given heroine a go, ey?

It stops me form feeling sleepy, but can often leave me somewhat lethargic.

And when I'm particularly tired it tends to leave me in a bit of a "crash" an hour after consumed.

Rob.

Instant coffee has me running for the toilet and keeps me buzzing all night, coffee brewed from fresh ground beans has no effect on me whatsoever. Funny, you'd think there would be more caffeine in the frsh stuff, rather than the freeze dried :S Anyone enlighten me on this?

Instant coffee has me running for the toilet and keeps me buzzing all night, coffee brewed from fresh ground beans has no effect on me whatsoever. Funny, you'd think there would be more caffeine in the frsh stuff, rather than the freeze dried :S Anyone enlighten me on this?

I couldnt say this as fact, but perhaps it has something to do with whatever they do in manufacturing instant coffee compared to grinding actual beans and forcing water through it to extract the coffee.. it's alot more natural.

Instant coffee is a diuretic for me, but brewed doesn't do that. Neither keep me awake. Even No-Doz don't do anything.

If I'm drowzy already, a coffee will send me to sleep quicksmart.

Not exactly opposite effect, but anesthetics usually take near-double dose for me. That wouldn't be so bad if any of my doctors over the last 15 years had bothered to read my medical notes before sticking needles in my spine, or cutting into my neck. Ouchies.

If i smash an energy drink (which i dont like to do but sometimes have to), my leg shakes while i sit down. has always happened and its always my right. happened when i was a kid and had coffe but wasnt used to it, or when im excited or such (dont get ideas)

"instant coffee" is food colouring and a diuretic to fool you into thinking it's coffee

Fact: if you are 'overtired' and jittery, as in suffering from sleep deprivation, coffee can 'wake you up' to the point where you can feel tired normally again.

To answer the OP: I react to caffeine well. It fuels me.

At the moment it seems to make my gut clench. So I'm avoiding it. :( I need to take up something else socially acceptable to get me away from my desk.

I don't think my ADD has any effect on my caffeine intake.

I generally don't have any coffee or anything at work because I live on site and there's not much to do and I tend to go to sleep around 9 and get a good sleep.

On my days off, I love a big mug of coffee in the morning and sitting on the steps in the sun. Invigorates the soul, lol.

I can drink coffee straight before bed and it doesn't effect my sleeping.

I sometimes have a can of V if I've gotta drive any considerable distance at night, especially in the outback when there's cows and roos wandering all over the road.

When I have caffeine, it makes me very alert. It also makes me want to go outside for a run, even if it's a small amount.

The thing is, I never run :/

Tis good for keeping me on the ball for important workstuffs though.

*edit*

160mg of caffeine is enough to keep me like this for about three or four hours. Probably because I don't have it all the time.

:)

I used to pretty much live on it but nowadays whilst one a day or so is ok anything beyond that and my heartbeat accelerates and my blood pressure rises. My doc tells me that I had my lifetime supply years ago and to avoid it but the odd one is ok :)

A surprising number of people do have opposite reactions to stimulants and sedatives. I work with a guy who a half glass of scotch will keep awake all night, but a coffee will knock him out.

Again, my doc tells me he sees a lot of such cases, especially in people diagnosed ADD or ADHD.

Cheers

The only time that caffeine actually does anything for me is when I am really tired. I usually take it in the form of a can of V or Red Bull. It will help me stay awake for about and hour or so, then it wears off and i get tired again. Because i usually drink energy drink it could also be the gurana as well as the caffeine.

Fact: if you are 'overtired' and jittery, as in suffering from sleep deprivation, coffee can 'wake you up' to the point where you can feel tired normally again.

For real? My sleep's been absolutely FUBAR recently, might try it next time I run into problems.

For what it's worth: It's highly unlikely you are having your "best nights sleep" after taking caffeine.

For me, it acts like any stimulant, however it's devoid of any euphoria. An intense body load at higher doses. Helps me Get Shit Done™.

Robusta beans, as opposed to Arabica.

For real? My sleep's been absolutely FUBAR recently, might try it next time I run into problems.

It's what I've heard, and it definitely holds true for me.