Sign in to follow this  
pekkahead

A Fallout 3 MMO....could be.

I was toolin around the mod sites for Stalker and Fallout 3 stuff when I came upon a link for this little snippet of info.

So I immediately clicked it...

What else would you do?

:)

There's not much info about the game...

But there's enough....to fuel lustful desires of the wasteland.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58012

If you click on the picture and then check out the bottom right hand corner of the picture you will see an ad for Nuka Cola.

-----------------------------

Damn it!

This is too interesting.....

http://www.destructoid.com/interplay-s-web...mo-104812.phtml

from nov 6 2008.

With respect to the actual appearance of an FO 3 MMO.

Devious intentions?

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs.cfm?isapi_rewr...cp=1&bhjs=0

A nice read here, but the comments hold the info

http://www.r1ft.com/mmo/fallout-and-interp...months-to-live/

Linked from r1ft above, MW comment has link.

This makes for some interesting reading.

Masthead are currently working on a post apoc MMO already.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Interplay-an...s-14836944.html

pls, pls, pls :)

Is it too much to hope for...?

Personally I don't think so.

The sparse, post apocalyptic FO3 environment just lends itself to an MMO.

Imagine a party of heroes, honkies or hound humpers, rocking out into the wastelands......steel undies all around!

;-p

Plus it wouldn't take too much effort to convert those large city blocks into urban sweat hole bases or fight zones.

And if they can keep that wonderful FO3 atmosphere...

swoon faint.

To hell with it man.....

I'm so there, and with bells and whistles.

Edited by pekkahead

I'd prefer the Stalker atmosphere (and gunplay) over the Fallout one.

But they could pull it off if it was done right.

I think it'd be an awesome idea in theory, but how well it would work depends on the setting (both the year and the location) and the choice of characters you could be.

Given most of humanity was annihilated, you wouldn't have several thousand humans running around a small geographical location- particularly not until a few centuries after the bombs dropped. And if you could choose to be with Vault-Tec, you'd have a vast majority of n00b Vault Dwellers running around, which'd so kill the atmosphere. Ditto for Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave- those groups would have to be invite-only or something, or it'll be an MMO with no wastelanders and a horde of Vault-Tec/Enclave/BoS people wandering around.

Also, I wouldn't be joining without enforced RP servers available. I don't want to share my Wasteland with gamer kiddies.

Edited by The Manta

+1

I'd probably play as a raider, or a protretron. That would be pretty awesome.

A post apocalyptic setting would be awesome for an MMO but i dont know if it would work with the fallout universe. I'd prefer a new unique IP.

This.

Also: I'm rather skeptical as to how it'll work/how successful it'll be.

Fallout/Stalker would need to be PvP all the time, and without actual consequences it'd be lame.

Most people don't like playing MMO's where the PvP is often, and they can actually lose things, that's why WoW's subscriber base is so freaking high.

Only issue I see, is just how many people do we want in this post-apocalyptic future of survival? :P

Guess something like Hellgate would work - Where all the outdoor areas are instanced and your by yourself, but that removes the whole "OMFG - Who the hell just shot me?" atmospehere it needs

Only issue I see, is just how many people do we want in this post-apocalyptic future of survival? :P

Guess something like Hellgate would work - Where all the outdoor areas are instanced and your by yourself, but that removes the whole "OMFG - Who the hell just shot me?" atmospehere it needs

Only way I could possibly see it working is having limits on the numbers of accounts that can join certain servers.

Maybe make a couple of huge ones for the 'hehe lets shoot and clan and get kewl lewt' crowd, and a whole bunch of RP servers with some kind of user cap- I can't see the entire globe's population going above a few thousand for the first few centuries after 2077.

That's the thing though, isn't it.

For this kind of MMO, you want a massive world.

People play MMO's for the player interaction.

You need to have a sufficient level of players so that there's usually one or two in each area you are.

If it's as PvP focused as it should be, you can also guarantee that the "safer" areas will be absolutely FULL of people, while the unsafe areas will have almost noone.

Manta: having multiple servers is also probably a bad idea. Unless you're as popular as WoW (e.g. noone) you're going to need to have a high server population in order to actually have a chance of finding someone in the less safe areas.

That's the thing though, isn't it.

For this kind of MMO, you want a massive world.

People play MMO's for the player interaction.

You need to have a sufficient level of players so that there's usually one or two in each area you are.

If it's as PvP focused as it should be, you can also guarantee that the "safer" areas will be absolutely FULL of people, while the unsafe areas will have almost noone.

Manta: having multiple servers is also probably a bad idea. Unless you're as popular as WoW (e.g. noone) you're going to need to have a high server population in order to actually have a chance of finding someone in the less safe areas.

Hmm, true.

I suppose an ideal game world would be the continental United States. There's enough evidence to show that it's still possible, albeit hard, to go from coast to coast (the Brotherhood of Steel crossing from the West Coast to the Capital Wasteland for example), so you can have a wide area, larger potential population, and not break continuity.