Sign in to follow this  
Antraman

.avi movie files playable on PS3?

Put some on my USB and plugged it into the PS3 thinking it would be an easy watch...but no.

Was reading on the net that it is possible, but its not clear how so.

Does anyone know any tricks or workarounds for getting them to play?

Put some on my USB and plugged it into the PS3 thinking it would be an easy watch...but no.

Was reading on the net that it is possible, but its not clear how so.

Does anyone know any tricks or workarounds for getting them to play?

Can you see the files? I had this problem it's an easy fix. Just highlight the flash drive in video and hit the triangle button. Then hit "display all" and you should be able to play the files - most of them will anyway.

What exactly is the problem you're having?

If you can't see the files (Like me the first time I tried to watch videos on my external HDD), phatbeat has already explained that.

If you can see the files but they won't play, you may need an update. That does not guarantee that it will work.

My PS3 has handled most files that I've thrown at it, but there is the occasional one that it can't play.

The problem I am having is when I browse to the USB folder, it tells me that this Media Source is not registered.

I'll try the suggestions given and see how I go. Thx.

so, finally worked out how to do it.

Simple as shit really....

Download, install and run Tversity.

Set a local folder on your PC as your media folder, and put whatever media files in it.

Register the folder in Tversity, start sharing, and turn your PS3 on.

Browse on PS3 to the Tversity folder.

http://gizmodo.com/5096103/a-complete-guid...xbox-360-or-wii

But that doesn't explain why the files on your USB stick weren't working.

TVersity works very well. Been using it for ages. Works for both XBox 360 and PS3

But that doesn't explain why the files on your USB stick weren't working.

No, you're right. It does not. The PS3 simply says that the USB folder is not a registered media source. How to do that in PS settings I do not know...I had a good look around them, came up with nothing.

Important thing for now is that I got my BSG avi's watchable on my HD TV. :-)

When I plug in an external USB drive (not thumb drive) it comes up under video, go display all, watch video.

Could be there was a conflict with whatever device you were using? Should be as simple as that.

When I plug in an external USB drive (not thumb drive) it comes up under video, go display all, watch video.

Could be there was a conflict with whatever device you were using? Should be as simple as that.

Thanks...I'll play around with it some more. It was a thumb drive I was using, and it had heaps of various file types on it. It should show only the file types it can handle, as it does so in my TVersity folder.