TheSecret

Optus prepaid expired -- lost forever?

I have had my current optus prepaid number and sim card since 2000, and have always managed to recharge it ebfore it expired. Well..at the moment I am overseas, and I had to recharge it by April 4th. I remembered this on April 5th. My sim card now is rejected when trying it over here when it worked previously, and I can no longer log in to Optus Zoo..., and I think it really unlikely my password is wrong. I can not reset my password to be sure as my sim is rejected..

I would really like to keep my number and sim card..., is there anyway to reenable it or charge it up again, or is my number now gone forever? I can not call anyone in australia as it is too expensive what with waiting in queues and such..so any courses of action involving contact must be internet only. Cheers for any advice.

Get someone of the same sex as you in Australia to call them up and pretend to be you. If they ask why the phone is o/s, get them to say that they lent it to a friend temporarily while they went overseas.

Yes, this is illegal according to the privacy act but big deal.

I don't know if you've just lost or not, you'd have to ask Optus. I know with o/s calling cards, if it expires with money still on it, you can buy a brand new pack at full price to reactivate it, and they are happy to bung on your old balance on top of that. I don't know if the mobile phone companies would be so generous though.

Thanks for the reminder though. I think I have a Vodafone prepaid I might have forgot to top up and it's probably already been more than a year, so probably too late for me too.

I dont think its lost or gone, just that they reset your credit balance. Try another phone and call your mobile should confirm its still yours. Back years ago when I had pre-paid, I had 3 months after credit was reset before I would lose the number (This of course has probably changed since though)

Ill have a look around the Optus site and see if I can find anything

Well normally, After 6 months of no activity I lose my credit if I don't recharge, and 6 months after that I lose the number or account. I last recharged April 5th 2008, and forgot to recharge by the 5th this year. Considering the SIM is not accepted at all things don't look good.

Vodafone gives you 13 months after the last recharge after that you need to buy a new starter pack and pay a $19.95 fee to have your old number transferred to it, that lasts a few more months.

After around 18 months it's thrown back into the general pool and reused, once someone else starts using it it's gone for good.

Try contacting Optus via email to find out your options.

So optus never replied to any emails..using the contact form on their site. Does anyone know an actual email address I could use or have any other suggestions? Would someone be nice enough to ask in an optus store for me the next time their near/in one?

With Optus prepaid, you normally have a second date that after your recharge expires, the sim card expires too.

Right, 6 months to lose recharge, 6 months later phone number.

As I said, this was a year later.

So optus never replied to any emails..using the contact form on their site. Does anyone know an actual email address I could use or have any other suggestions? Would someone be nice enough to ask in an optus store for me the next time their near/in one?

I will keep it in mind. But perhaps Skype might be a solution?

Rob.

I recently went through this.

Call up.

what hs happened is your sim card is now 'quarrantined' along with your number, and it cant be gotten out by any of the call centre staff.

you'll need to buy a new prepaid sim and NOT activate it.

they'll need to take the simcard number off you and pass it onto the IT department, as when a numbers in quarantine its meant to be there for 5 years, they cant pull it out. it has to be done on the backend.

they will tell you NO many many many times, and it will take probably a week of re-calling them before they actually agree to help, but it CAN be done, they're just told they're not allowed.

I worked as IT for SOUL (optus reseller) and have gone through this process mtself since quitting, so good luck.

So I have 5 years to save my number? I'm guessing I can't do anything till I'm back in the country at any rate.

kinda.... i only waited 6 months and they still gave me the 'thats not really good enough' speech, but i got it done.

as soon as you're back i'd be doing it.

I wouldnt even try overseas ><

I didn't realise they were so strict about it, its only been a few days. I can only hope for the best when I come back then.

I didn't realise they were so strict about it, its only been a few days. I can only hope for the best when I come back then.

Get someone to send you a SIM then register online, actually you don't really need physical possesion of the SIM, just the numbers on the packaging.

When it asks whether you have a number you want to use try contacting Optus then.

The longer you leave it the harder it gets.

Quarentine is shorter than five years, they need the numbers.

Get someone to send you a SIM then register online, actually you don't really need physical possesion of the SIM, just the numbers on the packaging.

When it asks whether you have a number you want to use try contacting Optus then.

Why would they need the numbers?

Even with just the 0422 prefix, they have 60,466176 numbers to use....

Why would they need the numbers?

Even with just the 0422 prefix, they have 60,466176 numbers to use....

Not all numbers get used and there's quite a high turnover, think of all the SIM cards sold with prepaid phones just lying around in drawers, I think this is the reason Optus no longer assign a number to the SIM until during the registration process.

When brand new numbers are released there are often issues with overseas phone companies not recognizing them so text messages don't work until they are added to their recognized ranges.

no, quarrantine is 5 years. minimum. telstra do something stupid like 15 or something.

That may only apply to PLAN numbers or BUSINESS numbers instead of prepaid....

they have full access to all number ranges, they dont 'need' the numbers.

The whole quarrantine thing started after someone got britney spears' old number and suddenly could contact a bunch of celebs after she missed their calls (had their numbers) or something like that. fucking celebs, lol.

rang up optus a couple of times but they just flatly say 'can't do' or 'won't do'. i tried to be as polite as possible and pesty at the same time - i politely insisted that they can do this for me and that i am willing to pay an activation fee for reinstating my expired number.

not happy jan!

rang up optus a couple of times but they just flatly say 'can't do' or 'won't do'. i tried to be as polite as possible and pesty at the same time - i politely insisted that they can do this for me and that i am willing to pay an activation fee for reinstating my expired number.

not happy jan!

Really? That does not bode well. They have not bothered returning any emails...the bastards.

Are you having the same problem?

Well, it seems the quarantine option is not possible.

Here's an email I got from Optus:

Thank you for your response email regarding reactivation of your service.

Please be advised that Optus is not able to reactivate prepaid services that have been cancelled due to credit expiry.

Whether or not the service number has gone into quarantine unfortunately has no bearing on the outcome of the situation.

I offer my sincerest apologies that are not able to assist further on this occasion, and would like to recommend to you that once you return to Australia and connect a new service, you may want to consider our Every Now and Then plan which provides up to 186 days validity. For your convenience, I have attached a brochure for you, outlining the offers we currently have.

Any other options, or it's definitely gone forever?

Could I go with a different company and switch my old expired number over?

Edited by TheSecret

I have had my current optus prepaid number and sim card since 2000, and have always managed to recharge it ebfore it expired. Well..at the moment I am overseas, and I had to recharge it by April 4th. I remembered this on April 5th. My sim card now is rejected when trying it over here when it worked previously, and I can no longer log in to Optus Zoo..., and I think it really unlikely my password is wrong. I can not reset my password to be sure as my sim is rejected..

I would really like to keep my number and sim card..., is there anyway to reenable it or charge it up again, or is my number now gone forever? I can not call anyone in australia as it is too expensive what with waiting in queues and such..so any courses of action involving contact must be internet only. Cheers for any advice.

I had my Optus prepaid number from 1999 up until August 2008. I wasnt able to recharge the service and Optus canceled my plan on me.

When i got my new iPhone they wouldnt let me keep my old number... they lied to me and said that the number cant be used for 8 or so years..... my friend rang my old number by accident and found out that Optus had already given it away! jerks!