anthony5640

in your opinon: whats the best Anti-Virus?

ive had numerous viruses on my pc and was wondering.. whats the best anti-virus to have? whicch one performs well and keeps your pc speed up?

This question always comes up in here, perhaps have a look through some past threads to see some ideas?

To narrow it down:

AVG is recommended by people who don't know any better, or had it recommended to them. It has poor detection rates, invasive behavior and can impact performance. There is absolutely no reason to use it in light of the other products available.

Avast is a popular choice, and quite decent. easy to use, negligible impact on performance, excellent scanning speed, very configurable, and decent detection rates. Avast is free for home use. I would recommend Avast as second to Avira, as within the last year the development team has been paying less attention to reported viruses, which is a shame.

Avira currently has the best detection rates, is free for home use, easy to understand, and relatively configurable. It does not have the features of Avast, but this should not be a problem for most people. It tends to rely on ads, however this can be easily disabled. There is a negligible impact on performance.

Nod32 tends to be recommended by people who are familiar with it. In reality, it is less effective and has less features than Avira or Avast. It has lower detection rates, slower performance, is not as easy to use and often does not clean up effectively. It also has a high false positive rate, which is just annoying. Considering that it is not free and has no advantage, there is very little reason to suggest this.

The well known products such as Norton, McAfee, CA and Sophos tend to be tailored more for a corporate environment, having features that are meant to make large scale administration and configuration simpler. For home use, they are expensive, slow and redundant.

The best choice is Avira. You should also use software such as Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes to scan for malware, which can be more of a risk these days. The very best advice is just to employ common sense when downloading and using the internet, and you won't need a virus scanner in the first place. Stay up to date with security fixes, don't download dodgy executables etc..

Edited by TheSecret

ohk sorry for the new topic :( next time ill be sure to serach. again sorry

No problem, welcome to atomic. I was not trying to berate you, I just thought you might find additional answers useful :)

I use Nod32 and have always found it and seems to pick most things, however that is my personal opinion of it. I also occasionally run scans of Spy Bot Search and Destroy to pick up any nasties. And common sense can be the best Anti-Virus of all :p.

I use Avast. never had a problem.

Dont forget about SPYWARE as it sounds like that is what you have as well. These are not viruses and will not be picked up by an anti virus program.

Use Windows Defender for real time anti spyware protection. I also sweep regularly with Spybot Search and Destroy. Lavasoft's AdAware is also decent at spyware removal. all these programs are free.

The BEST way to avoid VIRUSES is to NOT go to dodgy websites and to NOT download everything you come across and to NOT open any file where you do not know the sender. Simple really.

Avast is a popular choice, and quite decent. easy to use, negligible impact on performance, excellent scanning speed, very configurable, and decent detection rates. Avast is free for home use. I would recommend Avast as second to Avira, as within the last year the development team has been paying less attention to reported viruses, which is a shame.

Avast currently has the best detection rates, is free for home use, easy to understand, and relatively configurable. It does not have the features of Avast, but this should not be a problem for most people. It tends to rely on ads, however this can be easily disabled. There is a negligible impact on performance.

Think you made a typo there...

Rob.

Avast currently has the best detection rates, is free for home use, easy to understand, and relatively configurable. It does not have the features of Avast, but this should not be a problem for most people. It tends to rely on ads, however this can be easily disabled. There is a negligible impact on performance.

Think you made a typo there...

Rob.

Ahh, fixed. Thanks.

Avira currently has the best detection rates, is free for home use, easy to understand, and relatively configurable. It does not have the features of Avast, but this should not be a problem for most people. It tends to rely on ads, however this can be easily disabled. There is a negligible impact on performance.

+1

A tiny bit of local security policy jujitsu and you are good to go, sans ads.

Its on all the PCs I've set up.

What is the best AV software to have IMO? None. No piece of software can save you from yourself. Make of that what you will :)

Im presonally a fan of Bitdefender Total Security. Very low resource usage, great firewall, easy to set up/customize, one of the best for descovery of viruses etc.

Almost the only program that i have paid for on my pc, probably the only one that i feel deserved my money

another avira user here. nothing has ever topped it and ive had some OBSCURE situations.

feel free to read the other threads on the first 2 pages of this forum section for my in depth rants on why i love avira, lol.

Most people are as yet unaware that the new version of Norton Internet Security (2009) has been completely written for ease of use, speed, frequent background micro pulse updates and minimal system overhead.

I recommend you try it.

It will win all the shootouts this year.

Most people are as yet unaware that the new version of Norton Internet Security (2009) has been completely written for ease of use, speed, frequent background micro pulse updates and minimal system overhead.

I recommend you try it.

It will win all the shootouts this year.

No, it won't.

It's decent, but when you factor in price. Avira, or even Avast comes out on top.

When you factor in the controlling policies of Symantec, any free solution, and quite a few paid solution come out on top.

What actually makes it better than the competition, apart from the fact it can now actually compete?

What is the best AV software to have IMO? None. No piece of software can save you from yourself. Make of that what you will :)

There's still a best.

What actually makes it better than the competition, apart from the fact it can now actually compete?

Micropulse updates, smallest system overhead, good simple interface, as well as class leading detection rates.

It will win.

Micropulse updates, smallest system overhead, good simple interface, as well as class leading detection rates.

It will win.

Everything yo describe exists in the competitors, without the issue of price or controlling policies.

It will win when it comes first.

I personally dont think norton will win either.

Hopefully atomic does an article on it some time. I dont think weve had an antivirus roundup?

as for micropulse updates, they're fine, untill you use a firewall and every 10 mins its going "NORTON IS TRYING TO DO STUFF!"

Hopefully atomic does an article on it some time. I dont think we've had an antivirus roundup?

And hopefully it never will. That kind of stuff is for normal computer magazines, you know...the type that reviews printers and business PCs and digital cameras and couches. Atomic is different :)

Atomic is different :)

...and would review AV packages on an appropriately different criteria set than something like PC User or APC. Bring it on, I say. One of the popular online news sites did a great comparison a few years ago, which compared stuff like file access time impact, CPU usage, monthly traffic impact, etc, it was very comprehensive. Atomic has the resources and expertise to take this to the next level, and find us the least intrusive anti-malware product.

Jesus H Christ, ahsoka, do you EVER think before you post? Ever?

Personally, I don't use resident AV or Firewall software. I use common sense in my day-to-day activities, and have a Linux perimeter system to keep people out.

Atomic is different :)

...and would review AV packages on an appropriately different criteria set than something like PC User or APC. Bring it on, I say. One of the popular online news sites did a great comparison a few years ago, which compared stuff like file access time impact, CPU usage, monthly traffic impact, etc, it was very comprehensive. Atomic has the resources and expertise to take this to the next level, and find us the least intrusive anti-malware product.

Jesus H Christ, ahsoka, do you EVER think before you post? Ever?

Personally, I don't use resident AV or Firewall software. I use common sense in my day-to-day activities, and have a Linux perimeter system to keep people out.

Hey, if you want an AV roundup, then go ahead and post it in Atomic Feedback :)

ive had numerous viruses on my pc and was wondering.. whats the best anti-virus to have? whicch one performs well and keeps your pc speed up?

I'd really like to see a poll from Atomic readers which anti-virus they use.