anthony5640

in your opinon: whats the best Anti-Virus?

I must have misunderstood your post then. I assumed by saying "I disagree. While Norton is an impressive effort, it is still lacking in some areas. Detection rates are not the sole metric for what makes an AV good." was in defence of NOD32.

In terms of home users, I still believe that Norton 2009 is the best solution. As much as I hate the company, it has everything going for it.

No problems. I agree NOD32 is 'meh'. My comment was in defence of Avira, and to a lesser extent Avast.

For personal use, I think price is a big factor in the advantage both of these programs have over Norton, but even on purely technical grounds, I would choose Avira due to speed and configuration options. As speedy and accurate as Norton may be, I don't appreciate the amount of control it attempts to exert....or usurp.

I wasn't considering price with my statement. I personally use Avira, since I tend to use freeware/open source alternatives where possible. If money isn't a concern, Norton would be the better option.

A restore won't protect against your files which are personally infected, and I don't think it is generally faster than a quick scan...

Not restore as in Windows's (it looks weird but is correct) version of restore.

My version of restore is...

step one: connect backup drive. (Just a copy of the os and all the other usual crap: IM, PSP just the social rubbish.)

step two: carry on with what I was doing.

I can do this because everything on this box is disposable. The prod box isnt online/networked and never exposed to unpackaged imput.

But without AV, you might not even realise your PC is infected. Right?

Even with AV you might not know you are infected. For me it makes no difference if I am or not. The prod box can't be infected: it doesn't see anything that's not from the company. The personal box ~shrug, who cares. I can see the bits in and out. If nobody is using me to sniff or spoof, I don't care. It's all disposable.

Lossing data is only important if you are emotional attached to it. and yeah, i know this last line doesnt track with anything this sidebar has taken in, i ljust like to type it every now and then.

I wasn't considering price with my statement. I personally use Avira, since I tend to use freeware/open source alternatives where possible. If money isn't a concern, Norton would be the better option.

This is where I disagree. If money is not a concern, Avira is still the better option.

This is where I disagree. If money is not a concern, Avira is still the better option.

Why so?

Why so?

Because, with detection rates and performance being near equal, I will choose the product that allows for a greater level of customisation and does not try to exert control. I feel Avira is more customisable than Norton and that Norton still tries to control certain things more than it should. I apologise if it is unclear by what I mean when I say exert control...I refer to actions such as blocking access to a file it deems unsafe, and make in unnecessarily hard to regain access to that file.

I use Avast! on all my PCs and I'm happy.

However Avira has good detection when actively scanning and it's much faster than Avast!

I don't pay for retail AV software.

I don't use AV. A restore is quicker than a sweep.

This sort of attitude really pisses me off when some cretin plugs his "I don't need no antivirus shit" computer in to the network and proceeds to contaminate the LAN with all the crap he has accumulated.

It's also these fucking boxes that keep some of that shit circulating on the internet.

A restore won't protect against your files which are personally infected, and I don't think it is generally faster than a quick scan...

Not restore as in Windows's (it looks weird but is correct) version of restore.

My version of restore is...

step one: connect backup drive. (Just a copy of the os and all the other usual crap: IM, PSP just the social rubbish.)

step two: carry on with what I was doing.

I can do this because everything on this box is disposable. The prod box isnt online/networked and never exposed to unpackaged imput.

So how do you know your backup is not full of crap as well?

I use Avira as well...

I used to use AVG...but I read a recent review on AVs and they declared Avira as the winner.

This sort of attitude really pisses me off when some cretin plugs his "I don't need no antivirus shit" computer in to the network and proceeds to contaminate the LAN with all the crap he has accumulated.

It's also these fucking boxes that keep some of that shit circulating on the internet.

To be fair, I'd blame the boxes on the LAN not running security updates just as much.

I use PC Tools AV, which I notice has not been mentioned. I'm wondering why. I've found it to be much better than AVG.