Sign in to follow this  
commanderjarak

Two Projectors?

Hi everyone, long way from my usual haunt in the Green Room, so please play nice.

I'm currently helping out with the computer aspect of a Youth group I'm at, and I have an idea that could be awesome. I'm thinking of doing a super widescreen thing, so what i really need to know is if it is possible to set up two projectors and extend the desktop onto both of them, ie. not have it extended and the extended section cloned on both projectors.

I'm guessing that if I could find one a simple male to two female y-connector wouldn't work, so what would I actually need?

Well wouldn't two projectors plugged seperately to one video card with two DVI outputs work the same as two lcd screens plugged in to one video card with two DVI outputs?

if that works then all you just need to do is specify you want it to span the two screens instead of mirroring one to the other.

Well wouldn't two projectors plugged seperately to one video card with two DVI outputs work the same as two lcd screens plugged in to one video card with two DVI outputs?

if that works then all you just need to do is specify you want it to span the two screens instead of mirroring one to the other.

Absolutely, both projectors are simply output devices, the pc doesn't care what they actually are. So yes that would work a treat, then all you've got to do is allign both properly and preferably use the same 2x projectors so that you don't have any colour rendering issues.

cheers

Yeah, the Y connector splitters won't work, you'll need something that can output to two devices.

Then yeah, as stated, two similar projectors, close together....

So I'd probably need to use an actual PC then as opposed to a laptop? I'm not overly sure if you can hook up a laptop over S-Video (and I'm not sure I'd want to)

The only other thing would be that we would still like to have a seperate screen up the back for us to use, and just show video or whatever on the projectors.

Thanks for the help everyone

You might be better off buying a pc just depending on the capabilities of the notebook, it doesn't have to be anything particularly powerful, just enough to run the applications you'll be using / bluray ready perhaps. Given you want the ability to run 3x screens i'd be looking at a dual dvi graphics card and a matrox tripple head display splitter. Plug the display splitter into one output and the monitor into the other, run the projector of the display splitter. The matrox tripple head should also happily run of the notebook, thus use the display splitter for the projectors and the notebook display for your other needs.

cheers

You might be better off buying a pc just depending on the capabilities of the notebook, it doesn't have to be anything particularly powerful, just enough to run the applications you'll be using / bluray ready perhaps. Given you want the ability to run 3x screens i'd be looking at a dual dvi graphics card and a matrox tripple head display splitter. Plug the display splitter into one output and the monitor into the other, run the projector of the display splitter. The matrox tripple head should also happily run of the notebook, thus use the display splitter for the projectors and the notebook display for your other needs.

cheers

Never having used the Matrox display thing, would the Dual Head 2Go work for the purpose we need, or would I need to get the Triple Head 2Go?

You can use the dual head, so long as

1- The projectors use a 4:3 res

2- The projectors have a resolution of 1280x1024 or less

3- The projectors use vga [not dvi input]

If the above is compliant then the dual head will do the trick, if not you'll have to go for tripple head.

cheers