relativenewbie

Is 24in worthwhile or would 22in be a better buy?

My mates been looking at getting something along the lines of:

GA-EP45-DS3

Q6600

4GB DDR2-800 RAM

Corsair TX-750 (750W) PSU

HD4870X2

640GB SATA HDD

Noctua CPU cooler (cant remember which one)

antec p182 case

He can get it all for around $1700,

I recommended the LG W2252TQ (or LG W2242T) as a decent 22inch, after reading "The big, cheap monitor roundup" a couple of weeks ago.

He's got it in his head that he needs to get a 24inch, but i think its mainly a case of a mines bigger than yours attitude and he could be talked out of it pretty easily.

For the computer he's looking at does anyone think it would it be worth the extra money to purchase a cheap 24inch lcd (something like 500) over getting a decent 22inch (around $350)?

HD4870X2

Says it all right there, this is a card designed for high resolution gaming plain and simple. Whilst the 24" might only be 9% larger in physical diagonal space, but it has a 35% larger resolution, which is what it's all about. Provides the 4870x2 with more pixels to process, so that your mate gets the most out of his $650 graphics card and a more immersive gaming experience at the same time, sounds like an extra $150 well spent to me. But by all means recommend a smaller screen, but at the same time i'd be recommending spending less on the graphics card too, keep the rest in the pocket for a replacement card in 6-12months.

cheers

HD4870X2

keep the rest in the pocket for a replacement card in 6-12months.

cheers

And the bigger screen to go with it.

All the 24" monitors i'd normally recommend are 8bit display based products, i haven't really had any experience with 6bit 24" screens. However there is one stand out unit that has been very popular with users on the forum of late the benq v2400w, everyone that i have seen purchase one has been very happy with it, so check it out, well priced too.

cheers

Before jumping to any conclusion, try comparing the 2 product first. the thing is both are good equipments but each one has its different specifications that you should know for you to have the idea on which to choose.

i love my v2400w too. tis a beutyful screen, plus its good for summer weather as it doesnt put out too much heat.

depending on where you buy it from it shouldnt cost more than $500 - $600 delivered.

i payed $470 for mine, but that was cost price plus courier shipping.

The v2400w can be had from umart for $455 + delievery which shouldn't be more than $30, makes it a good value option.

cheers

I ordered a DELL E248WFP for $350 delivered the other day ($100 off), but I think the promotion ended last Friday. Apparently it's a good screen and still reasonably priced at $450...

Personally, I think I'm going to enjoy the extra realestate of a 24" over a 22"... perhaps you just don't want LCD-envy?

No the e248wfp does not = 2408wfp.

THe e248 is a 6bit tn based screen, whilst the 2408 is an 8bit s-pva based product. The 2048 also has more input options and better viewing angles, but is also more expensive, well worth the expense if you can afford it, if not then the e248 is still a good screen.

cheers

I paid $415 for a BenQ G2400W 24" Widescreen LCD: 1920x1200,250 cd/m2, 1000:1 ,5ms Response Time,HDMI, D-Sub & DVI Inputs Black it really rocks the freaking casbah for me up from a 14.4 inch lappy :P

I just read that 4870X2 needs to be running 1920 x 1200 to not run like shit and am gutted I didn't realise that after finishing crysis wars at 16x12 and 35 - 45 FPS GRRRRRRRRRRR.

I really needa figure out a way to change that res...

He needs a 24 inch everything Everything will run at 19x12 on that rig. I heard a dual core will be just as good if not better than a quad core and went with the E8500 intel I am starting to wonder if that was the right decision everyone seems quad core mad.

All the 24" monitors i'd normally recommend are 8bit display based products, i haven't really had any experience with 6bit 24" screens. However there is one stand out unit that has been very popular with users on the forum of late the benq v2400w, everyone that i have seen purchase one has been very happy with it, so check it out, well priced too.

cheers

I believe that's the G2400W.

The V is similar but as far as I know, most people are grabbing the G while they can.

I believe that's the G2400W.

The V is similar but as far as I know, most people are grabbing the G while they can.

Thanks fb, that's even better as it's cheaper.

Sceptre, this is displays and audio, lets not go down the path of discussing graphics card options. If relativenewbie want's to discuss the build then it would be better of being asked in the appropriate forum section.

cheers

Has any one had any experience with the V7 D24W33 24" or Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24"?

EDIT:Davidian, Does Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP=DELL E248WFP?

Yes, I have a 248WFP and a 2707WFP, and have sold my best mate a 2408WFP (it's the Ultrasharp one in Dell-speak). TBH, there is not a huge functional and perceptibile difference between them. I mean, I take the point about 6-bit versus 8-bit colour and the contrast ratio, inputs etc., but when you're in CoD4 sniping some n00b across the map, the colour doesn't make that big a difference. The cheaper 248WFP is more than good enough for gaming, but not, perhaps for professional photo editing (which I'm guessing your friend doesn't do anyway).

For the record, I love my 2707WFP for gaming, and have email, IM, Atomic (lol) and Media Centre for TV on the 248WFP while I'm playing. It rocks. Hard. I have a 22" Chimei thing as well, and am thinking of selling (might post a trademart thread soon), but could just get a second GPU in the next upgrade and support all three -- not bad to have a GTX 280 for gaming linked to the 2707WFP, then, say, a 9800GT (or 9600GT, but the price difference is fairly small, maybe $30) that drives the 248WFP and the 22" Chimei. Depends on the budget tho, of course!

I'm actually pretty gutted, I had a 24" LG on order but they're now discontinued. Can get a v2400w for $455. Are they height adjustable? And is it a 0 pixel warranty?

If it's for gaming, a 22" and lower-power graphics get-up would be fine so I'd go with the "keep the money for an upgrade" idea. Also, for LANs a 22" is far more portable than a 24"!

Having used a 24" at work over the past few months it makes a HUGE difference to productivity tasks and any thing you want to do that involves more than one view/window. At home I do more photo/productivity work than games, and as much as I like my dual monitor setup I'm feeling the desire for a single big MOFO.

If it's for gaming, a 22" and lower-power graphics get-up would be fine so I'd go with the "keep the money for an upgrade" idea. Also, for LANs a 22" is far more portable than a 24"!

Yeah, I'm going to a LAN on the weekend, going to bring my 24". Hope it won't be too cumbersome.

My mate's bringing his 28"!