Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
gyrus

Spore - Backlash Against Drms?

Well, for posterity, I suppose it's worth saying that when ATOMIC's new forums were born one of the big issues in PC gaming news was the 'revolt' against the DRM (SecuROM) shipped with EAs SPORE game.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...ay-bad-drm.html

At the time of writing Amazon.com has 1919 user reviews and of those 1775 are one star reviews. Overwhelmingly these reviews focus on the DRM.

http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Mac/dp/B000FKBCX4

At Amazon.co.uk however there are only 17 reviews - because Amazon UK have been deleting negative reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Sp...D/dp/B000FN7K2S

This is not a smart move by Amazon UK - they have risked their own reputation to prevent negative customer feedback on a product - and it looks like it is backfiring.

Amazon UK is now itself under attack from angry customers.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/10/sp..._amazon_effect/

Ahhh damn.

Well board mods - time for a test.

While I was typing - someone beat me to it.

There is no delete option - let's see if you can merge?

At Amazon.co.uk however there are only 17 reviews - because Amazon UK have been deleting negative reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Sp...D/dp/B000FN7K2S

This is not a smart move by Amazon UK - they have risked their own reputation to prevent negative customer feedback on a product - and it looks like it is backfiring.

Amazon UK is now itself under attack from angry customers.

If they are going to delete reviews they should delete the whole lot. It's pretty dodgy to remove all the negative reviews and leave only the positive ones.

LOL....LOL and ULTRA LOL 1.5 stars 194 people giving spore 1 star thats crazy spore is and really good game

Omfg, this shit again?

I thought we had enough trouble with Bioshock.

Didn't EA take notice of the uproar that caused.. Obviously not.

Fucking morons.

Meanwhile a stampede of India and Thai copies are swamping ebay for a mere $25 +$10 ship.

In other news on the torrent networks

One torrent for example:

Seeders

Leechers

Times completed:

This I feel is The user response to EA and its DRM.

Omfg, this shit again?

I thought we had enough trouble with Bioshock.

Didn't EA take notice of the uproar that caused.. Obviously not.

Fucking morons.

Meanwhile a stampede of India and Thai copies are swamping ebay for a mere $25 +$10 ship.

In other news on the torrent networks

One torrent for example:

Seeders

Leechers

Times completed:

This I feel is The user response to EA and its DRM.

118364 x $50 = $5.9182 million dollars worth of revenue lost if the game was to be distributed on an average price of $50.

118364 x $50 = $5.9182 million dollars worth of revenue lost if the game was to be distributed on an average price of $50.

That really doesn't work.

How many of those people would have pirated it even if there were no DRM?

LOL....LOL and ULTRA LOL 1.5 stars 194 people giving spore 1 star thats crazy spore is and really good game

No it's not. It's an 'ok' game. It's not a really good game.

Indeed, you would think they'd realize by now how useless DRM is and how it drives off customers.

Gets worse. over on the Red Alert 3 forums EA have stated that this DRM will be applied to all future PC releases.

They claim that RA3 can be installed up to 5 times (But even installing a new BR drive can count as a hardware change).

The number of 1 star reviews is close to 2000 now.

The install limit is effectively a rental system. The number to phone in Australia costs $2.40 (ish) per minute and I've seen reports (re Masseffect) that some customers have been on the phone for up to 20 minutes. I have also read about people who have had to wait several days to play their game again.

With the quality of new releases coming from other publishers I see no reason to buy any EA games this season.

Indeed, you would think they'd realize by now how useless DRM is and how it drives off customers.

Gets worse. over on the Red Alert 3 forums EA have stated that this DRM will be applied to all future PC releases.

They claim that RA3 can be installed up to 5 times (But even installing a new BR drive can count as a hardware change).

The number of 1 star reviews is close to 2000 now.

The install limit is effectively a rental system. The number to phone in Australia costs $2.40 (ish) per minute and I've seen reports (re Masseffect) that some customers have been on the phone for up to 20 minutes. I have also read about people who have had to wait several days to play their game again.

With the quality of new releases coming from other publishers I see no reason to buy any EA games this season.

well fuck that.

I was going to buy RA3 but now I won't bother.

Fuck you EA you money grabbing whores!

Meh.. ill just buy any future EA games then use the crack to bypass the securom.

RA3, and Spore DRMed.

Defintly not going to even bother.

I think I'll be buying my copy of Mirrors Edge on the 360

Or at least on a console ffs.

EA is really quite stubborn they don't get that we consumers don't want SecuRom / DRM

I'd like to say rubbish that it takes 20 minutes talking to EA to get a key.

RUUUUUUBBBBIIIIISHHHH.

Emails are free. Wait time is 24-48 hours.

Oh noes.

Fcuk it then - I'm gonna replay Far Cry,Diablo II and Quake III arena this summer !!

and then : underclock my cpu, rip half my ram out and replace DVD burner with 4x CD rom drive attached to SB16pro Audio card !!!!

I'd like to say rubbish that it takes 20 minutes talking to EA to get a key.

RUUUUUUBBBBIIIIISHHHH.

Emails are free. Wait time is 24-48 hours.

Oh noes.

However they were quoted in saying you needed to call?

However they were quoted in saying you needed to call?

Not sure what you're asking.

They do not need to ring EA for a key. An email suffices. And even if you did call, the call would only last long enough for you to be told to email anyway, since code requests have to be in writing.

So... yeah. 20 min = rubbish. More like 1-2 min tops, and then only if you don't already have the email and skip the call all together. Depending on when you send you email it could be answered within an hour or two, but if sent after hours or during a weekend can take a day or two.

If people would spend a 10th of the time actually bothering to find out about the process works before complaining about the process with rehashed and reused numbers... I'd not give a lick if they still complained. More power to folks to complain. But when people spout random figures like '20 minutes' it gets under my skin.

What's even stupider is the fact that most of the 5 star comments on that amazon page are from 2006. The game was released the other week. You do the math.

Yet they're still there. What the hell?

What's even stupider is the fact that most of the 5 star comments on that amazon page are from 2006. The game was released the other week. You do the math.

Yet they're still there. What the hell?

And that was back when the game actually looked good. They've changed so much for the worse since then.

Screw EA for dumbing games down so far to appeal to the stupid people so they can sell more and then screw them in another hole for going so Nazi with DRM when it only pisses off the people who have paid for the game.

I've had two games now perfectly legit tell me that they wont run because there not legit. One of the most frustrating things ever!

Oh and ALSO screw EA for pushing games out before they are ready. BF2 being my example here.

People care about Amazon? What?

Amazon's a biggish online retailer, at least in the US.

Negative reviews of a product cause said product to be sold less, causing less revenue for the company that produces it.