Sign in to follow this  
d3c4y

XP Resolution - Help Needed

Hey there.

I recently installed XP on my mums machine, because Vista was bogging her down.

All her drivers are installed and working fine, however she only has an onboard graphics processor. I thought this would be fine, but when I went to change the screen resolution, 1440x900 (for her 19' monitor) was not available.

All the other resolutions available are either too hard for her to read, or are too squashed and take up too much room. I was wondering if there was any way to force XP into 1440x900.

Would a really cheap ($30 - $50) graphics card do the trick. She obviously doesn't play games or anything like that. Its just the usual basics, internet, emails and such.

Thanks very much for the help.

d3c4y

you can force it using PowerStrip, its freeware google.

Otherwise, yeah, a $30 entry level geforce or whatever would easily do the trick.

the only reason its not 'available' is the graphics chip isnt recognising the monitor as being able ot support that resolution.

powerstip should do the trick.

Tried out the Pwerstrip program. Didn't allow me to create a custom resolution. Something about not working with Intel chipsets well...

Might just have to pop out and grab a weak graphics card.

Ill hit back with how it goes. Any suggestions still welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by d3c4y

the only reason its happening is the monitor isnt reporting to the PC what resolutoin it can handle.

the PC doesnt know it has a 19" monitor.

Try the monitor on another PC and if it still works, im sure there is a fix, but a basic GPU from a shop is likely the 'easiest' (but most expensive) solution.

Yeah dude, I reckon with some perseverance I'd be able to make it work, but to be blatantly honest, I don't give enough of a shit.

I'll just grab her a cheap GPU, and I can forget about this.

I hate being tech support for family and friends.

Thanks again bro.

Tried updating the onboard graphics drivers?

You am legend.

We crossgraded her HP desktop from Vista to XP, and I never bothered to check Device Manager to see if everything was working.

Turns out HP don't support XP for that particular motherboard, so video, PCI, audio and ethernet drivers were non existant on the machine. We never bothered to test any of those features except video.

So I've manually hunted down drivers for each component, and everything is working great. I can output in 1440x900, thank god.

I swear I despise large PC's companies. I'm building her next one.

Thanks so much for all the help guys.

Edited by d3c4y

oh, I didnt even think to mention that.

I assumed when you installed XP, you installed the drivers too. no machine has ever worked 'OUT OF THE BOX' with a windows OS lol.

oh well, i forgot to ask and you forgot to do, everyone makes mistakes. glad you got it fixed.