Sign in to follow this  
pekkahead

ASUS EeeTop PC ET1602 Touchscreen PC

Sadly, expensive as fuck for an Atom based PC without optical drive.

You'd be lucky to get one for a grand in Oz.

*EDIT* Make that lucky to get one for under $1,200.

Edited by tantryl

It's a real pity. 'cause I reckon at the $700-$900 level it'd be a brilliant buy for a lot of people. $1200-$1300 is just a bit much though.

It's a real pity. 'cause I reckon at the $700-$900 level it'd be a brilliant buy for a lot of people. $1200-$1300 is just a bit much though.

Especially given that for about $1000 you could build this with a box and a separate monitor and then buy a touchscreen overlay.

lunchy,

This little Asus EeeTop, has cool and style written all over it.

Some hacked together 'box' with screen and overlay <no matter how good it looks>, just doesn't cut it m8.

;-p

Yeah, but the hacked together box would have a much bigger screen, the ability to play and burn DVDs, a bigger HDD, a much faster CPU (Atom is craptastic in that sense)... well, you get the idea.

I mean, for $1200 you can get a 20" 1680 by 1050 iMac w/ 2G RAM, 320G HDD, DVD burner, 9400M graphics... the only thing it doesn't thrash the crap out of the eeeTop in is the touchscreen part.

Precisely Tantryl.

Pekka, I understand what you are saying, but the eeeTop is overpriced, and a small part of me died from typing that.

I have been looking at it as a media console option, but it is too underpowered for most use.

For people that need a friendly interface and touchscreen for easier use, it is great but for its only uses I can use it for, I can build something better suited.

Yeah, but the hacked together box would have a much bigger screen, the ability to play and burn DVDs, a bigger HDD, a much faster CPU (Atom is craptastic in that sense)... well, you get the idea.

I mean, for $1200 you can get a 20" 1680 by 1050 iMac w/ 2G RAM, 320G HDD, DVD burner, 9400M graphics... the only thing it doesn't thrash the crap out of the eeeTop in is the touchscreen part.

Oops, that's $2000. I was looking at the Apple US site. My bad.

MSI Wind AP1900 Neton is available for $870 at Scorptec.

Bigger screen (18.5", still only 1366x768 though) but no touchy.

Better value IMO. Depends how big into your touchscreens you are, I guess.

Edited by tantryl

Looks pretty nice! I'm personally a fan of ASUS, so no complaints here. Although a little more than what I wanted to pay for, seeing that I am 17 and don't have a job.