jokenno14

Build suggestions

Got your attention? sweet!

Haha anyway I am a old mate of Nitro.vo's and I would like some advise.

I want to basically build a new computer and I would like some pointers/suggestions.

First off my current system:

Now it is pretty sweet system already but it is my 21st this year and I have just started full time work so I want to treat myself with a system that will be quite future proof.

Board: Intel Corporation DG965SS AAD41678-304

CPU: C2D 6600 @ 2.40Ghz

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair 800MHZ (comp only shows 3.24GB of RAM tho...why??) <--upgraded recently

GPU: powercolor 4870 512mb <--purchased recently

PSU: HX620 Corsair <--JUST got it...please don't tell me I need a better one...

Screen: Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch LCD Display (So I want to run games at least 1600x, but I would love to start running on 1920x)

Case: Thermaltake Matrix

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis...x/vd3000bwa.asp

Now I want my computer to run 4870 crossfire, that way I wont have to worry about upgrading until 4870x2 crossfire would be the norm which I assume is a long long time away.

So my new system will need a better motherboard and I want to upgrade the cpu at the same time.

Now I have never had the time to learn how to overclock and I don't see that happening any time soon so as long as everything runs fine @ stock that should be fine.

SO!

I want my new comp to be:

Board: to run 4870 crossfire to its best ability (@ stock, no overclocking). Besides that I have a tuner card and that is it so I don't need some massive board. I just want a fast new board that can handle crossfire.

CPU: From my readings I believe that games are just starting to be developed for 2 core cpu's and other then gaming I don't do anything else so I rather just get a beefy 2 core instead of a Quad core. So I was thinking E8600? Once again I don't want to overclock.

RAM: I assume 4gb is plenty for vista. Is that correct?

GPU: 4870 crossfire (512mb)

PSU: PLEASE tell me I don't need to buy another one...I JUST got the HX620.....Once again I wont be overclocking so as long as everything can run fine @ stock I don't care.

Screen: Same

Case: Do I need a larger case? It seems small. If I do need a larger case what do you suggest? (don't want to spend over $200).

My estimated budget is $1,000 But I am willing to go over.

So in a nutshell I want advise on getting:

Comps purpose: Run 4870 CF therefore:

New motherboard

New CPU

New Case?

No overclocking = no additional cooling.

Thanks in advance guys.

Haha yeh you plugged Nitro there :D

A couple of quick points - Its going to be ahrd to future proof too much as i7 comes out soon, and its a completely now socket, so all socket 775 although going to be around for a while, have their days numbered, but you want the PC now, so no choice in the matter.

Also if your going to use 4GB of RAM - get windows Vista 64 bit - it can actually address all the memory you plan to buy, 32 bit cant.

Im a fan of Nvidia motherbaords - but the majority aren't so I wont advise you grabbing one of these, also Nvidia dont do crossfire :D

It can do crossfire (correct me if im wrong) and apparently the new x48 chipset is the one to go for nowadays. Im a big fan of ASUS as the BIOS is easy to understand and gives you many options - you choose what feature sets suit you best, i would advise to go for DDR2 RAM as well as the cost vs performance increase with DDR3 is very hard to justify, and the gains are not as great as you would expect. The Corsair twinX 2x2GB DDR2 1066 memeory is well priced, at around $200 and will perform admirably.

For a CPU i would go something like the E8600 like you posted - Its nice and fast and wont hurt the bank.

Hate to disappoint but im not sure if that power supply will cut the mustard with crossfired 4870's but dont wuote me on it - I havent researched that, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Good luck with your build mate!

jokenno14 your thread title has been changed as it had nothing to do with the topic.

If you want to post here, follow the rules.

You're right, what you already have is fairly decent.

For Crossfire, you'll want an X38 or X48 chipset board. I'd be looking at the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4.

CPU: Sure, grab the E8600. If you want to "future proof", which isn't really possible, I think a quad core will serve you better in the long run. But this is up to you.

I think you're PSU will be okay, but you won't want to throw much more at it. I've heard conflicting reports of how much power the 4870s chew, so I really need to get some credible info on this.

Disregard what Lazzarus said about RAM. The RAM yo ualready ahve will be just fine. DDR2-1066 is a rip off, and it's only worth considering if you're doing some heavy duty overclocking.

+1 to getting a 64bit OS so you can use all your RAM.

As for the case, I wouldn't bother unless you find what you currently have inadequate. I suspect it'll be just fine. If you find that it isn't, then there are a few options. The biggest issue you're likely to run into is insufficient room for your video card, so that'd be my primary focus when looking at new cases, make sure that's catered for. This thread may help: http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion...x.php?t829.html

You said you don't want additional cooling, however, I'd recommend you still consider something like the Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler. It is very quiet, and compliments the HX-620 nicely if you want a quietish ssystem. It'll also give you plenty of headroom should you change your mind about overclocking down the track.

Good luck.

jokenno14 your thread title has been changed as it had nothing to do with the topic.

If you want to post here, follow the rules.

Haha sorry. Thought the thread would get more attention with his name on it.

You're right, what you already have is fairly decent.

For Crossfire, you'll want an X38 or X48 chipset board. I'd be looking at the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4.

CPU: Sure, grab the E8600. If you want to "future proof", which isn't really possible, I think a quad core will serve you better in the long run. But this is up to you.

I think you're PSU will be okay, but you won't want to throw much more at it. I've heard conflicting reports of how much power the 4870s chew, so I really need to get some credible info on this.

Disregard what Lazzarus said about RAM. The RAM yo ualready ahve will be just fine. DDR2-1066 is a rip off, and it's only worth considering if you're doing some heavy duty overclocking.

+1 to getting a 64bit OS so you can use all your RAM.

As for the case, I wouldn't bother unless you find what you currently have inadequate. I suspect it'll be just fine. If you find that it isn't, then there are a few options. The biggest issue you're likely to run into is insufficient room for your video card, so that'd be my primary focus when looking at new cases, make sure that's catered for. This thread may help: http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion...x.php?t829.html

You said you don't want additional cooling, however, I'd recommend you still consider something like the Noctua NH-U12P CPU cooler. It is very quiet, and compliments the HX-620 nicely if you want a quietish ssystem. It'll also give you plenty of headroom should you change your mind about overclocking down the track.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Board: Having a quick look at google images that board seams perfect for me as there is the two slots for crossfire and the far PCIe port for my tuner card.

CPU: what I mean by future proof is that I have a machine I am happy with until 4870x2 crossfire (or equivalent future single card) become the norm. So I will just beef it out this time around and leave it at that.

PSU: I wont be putting anything else into the computer sides maybe another hard drive. And I wont be overclocking or anything. I will do some more research perhaps just to make sure.

RAM/OS: so the reason why it is only showing 3.25 is because of vista 32bit? I thought vista had 8gb limit or is that only for 64bit? Now I am even a bigger noob when it comes to OS but dont 64bit OS's handle programs differently? or is there a 32bit compatability in 64bit vista? As I game and only game so I would need compatibility with new and old games.

Case: well the case to me seems abit small, It can JUST fit in my motherboard now which is smaller then the GA-X48-DS4. Plus because I am upgrading so much I might as well buy a new case so I can get two computers running if I wish.

Now I was looking at cpl and they have a thermaltake armor+ MK which looks cool for only $150. Will that case fit the crossfire? I checked and it will fit the new mobo:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/chassis...Mx/APindex.html

Cooling: I will consider that later down the road perhaps, and I would get a new PSU at the same time.

Any other suggestions???

EDIT: Oh!...my 4870 is a powercolor and when I was checking cpl they have a new 4870PCS+ instead now which is about $40 more....what is it? is it worth getting? (I could not find any reviews). Also can you crossfire other branded cards? (Can I get a asus 4870 and crossfire it with a powercolor 4870?)

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh!...my 4870 is a powercolor and when I was checking cpl they have a new 4870PCS+ instead now which is about $40 more....what is it? is it worth getting? (I could not find any reviews). Also can you crossfire other branded cards? (Can I get a asus 4870 and crossfire it with a powercolor 4870?)

Thanks.

Yeah, you can Crossfire both of them with no problems. If possible, you should get two of the HD 4870 PCS+ if you can.

The PC only seeing 3.2GB RAM is a wel-known problem with 32-bit operating systems, not just Vista.

64-bit OSs do do things differently, and you'll want native 64-bit versions of your software where possible. There is some 32-bit compatibility stuff in Vista, but from what I hear, it's fairly sub-standard. you may find dual-booting between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista to be a more optimal solution, but your milage may vary based on the given software you want to run.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Thanks.

Yeah, you can Crossfire both of them with no problems. If possible, you should get two of the HD 4870 PCS+ if you can.

I already have a 4870. what about 4870PCS+ + 4870? good combo? worth the $40 extra?

The PC only seeing 3.2GB RAM is a wel-known problem with 32-bit operating systems, not just Vista.

64-bit OSs do do things differently, and you'll want native 64-bit versions of your software where possible. There is some 32-bit compatibility stuff in Vista, but from what I hear, it's fairly sub-standard. you may find dual-booting between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista to be a more optimal solution, but your milage may vary based on the given software you want to run.

In that case I think I will have to stick with 32bit. I have a large library of games and so I don't want to limit myself. Werid...I thought vista was fine with 4gb.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Thanks.

I already have a 4870. what about 4870PCS+ + 4870? good combo? worth the $40 extra?

In that case I think I will have to stick with 32bit. I have a large library of games and so I don't want to limit myself. Werid...I thought vista was fine with 4gb.

I have 64 bit Vista Home Premium and have not seen any problems by running 64 bit. You'll find that most software/drivers comes in 32 and 64 bit versions. I have had minor problems by having 64 bit.

Hey guys.

I need a quick responce today.

I got the X48 and the E8600 and they both work fine, I really love the case as well.

And today I will be getting the second gfx card.

Now can I crossfire my powercolur 4870 with a powercolor 4870PCS+?

I tried finding a answer online but all I could get is I think you can crossfire as long as they are the same design, so different brand 4870's are fine but what about the PCS+ which I beleive is a over clocked version.

Because it is overclocked does that mean it is a different design and therefore I wont be able to crossfire?

I will be grabbing a card during my lunch break so It would be great to have a solid answer by then.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Also I checked my PSU and there are no more 4 ping sqaure ports or cables left, and my current 4870 requires two.....how can I power the other gfx card? can they both run with only one? can I get converters or something?

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair 800MHZ (comp only shows 3.24GB of RAM tho...why??) <--upgraded recently

whatever is not showing is taken up by your video card most likely and the rest 32bit version of windows cannot address.

EDIT: Also I checked my PSU and there are no more 4 ping sqaure ports or cables left, and my current 4870 requires two.....how can I power the other gfx card? can they both run with only one? can I get converters or something?

you can get a converter. just make sure you have beefy enough psu you will be fine to add a converter for the video card.