Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DEVERE

Looking forward to summer?

Went out the back yard the other day to check on some seedlings I put in about a week ago, and looked towards my new nectarine tree which I planted in February after my old one died. I notice these small bumps on some of the branches and I start thinking "Goddamn snails, find something green and you just have to eat it" and I head over to flick them off the tree... just as I am about to let rip, I realise its a small fruit, slowly plumping up ready for my summer enjoyment. Woo hoo!!!

So, what summer fruits are your faves and do you grow any of your own fruit?

I have

Nectarines

Apricots

Apples

Feijoa

Pears

Mandarines

Mulberries

Grapes

Passionfruit

Lemons

and

Strawberry guava.

I'm sure I added a poll on this thread :S

MANGOS!!!!!

though we dont grow any. the only fruit we have are lemons, and im the only person i know that can eat those raw.... not that i do it often mind you.

does anyone have a "banana passionfruit" tree, my great-grandfather used to have one, but ive never seen them anywhere else (though i know someone that did a few years back), would be cool to try and get some seeds or some such.

hey Devere,

If you want the best fruits from your tree, don't let it produce any the first season.

I was told this by a wise old fruit grower.

Let the plant focus on growing strong and healthy before letting it fruit.

Also with your other trees, when there is fruit any ones that are touching another fruit pick off (so no fruit is touching any other fruits)

This creates better tasting and more succulent fruits

EDIT: forgot what fruit trees I have

apple,

nectarine

lemon

lime

and we also have a strawberry patch and 2 passionfruit plants.

NOM NOM

does anyone have a "banana passionfruit" tree, my great-grandfather used to have one, but ive never seen them anywhere else (though i know someone that did a few years back), would be cool to try and get some seeds or some such.

Yeah my folks have had one for forever. Big vine of it actually about 3m tall and maybe 7m across.

hey Devere,

If you want the best fruits from your tree, don't let it produce any the first season.

I was told this by a wise old fruit grower.

Let the plant focus on growing strong and healthy before letting it fruit.

Also with your other trees, when there is fruit any ones that are touching another fruit pick off (so no fruit is touching any other fruits)

This creates better tasting and more succulent fruits

interesting and thanks skull... the problem I have there though is the tree is already approx 5 years old, being grafted and all, so I don't know if this is it's first fruiting or not :P

Yeah my folks have had one for forever. Big vine of it actually about 3m tall and maybe 7m across.

yeah, the one my pop had wouldnt have been nearly as big as that, maybe 2m high and 3 or 4 across at most, but i was maybe 6 or 7 at the time.

I want my cherries! And I want them NOW! :P

We've been getting yummy strawberries and kiwi fruit of late. And the apples have been the yummiest I've even had for a while.

We grow a couple lemon and lime trees, and a bunch of strawberry plants in our veggie patch. They were quite yum last year :) And we have a couple of grape vines struggling away down the back. I hope they get better soon :)

I just eat the fruit - I don't have a name burned into my brain labelled 'favourite'. All of the ones listed so far are yummy. Not so keen on grapefruit, though.

I just eat the fruit - I don't have a name burned into my brain labelled 'favourite'. All of the ones listed so far are yummy. Not so keen on grapefruit, though.

yeah grapefruit is an accquired taste, but the ruby red grapefruit is quite pleasant :D

Peaches are win. Strawberries are pretty good as well.

And the only thing I don't like about summer is the annoying flying insects. If they'd all fuck off I'd have a great time.

-X

Just had a thought, how about those who grow vegetables? What is going in your vege patch this spring ready for summer eating?

I am still waiting on hubby to turn over the soil and tip the compost into my vege patches, but we are going to plant some tomatoes (cherry and mortgage lifters), sweet corn, beetroot, cucumber, spring onions...

I have some asparagus, and rhubarb growing nicely. Anyone else?

my parents have a bunch of fruit tress, but they're all boring.

I'm an apple and banana sorta guy.

but all they grow is citrus and stonefruit.

Fruit comes from Woolworths you silly dumdums!

Geeeeez.

Also not looking forward to Summer. It does give me happy feelings sometimes when i know the sun is shining and its a summer day, however then i realise that its 100% humidity and 35 deg.

Then i die alittle.

Just had a thought, how about those who grow vegetables? What is going in your vege patch this spring ready for summer eating?

Only thing growing in my backyard is weeds. Soil's crap, I can't afford to improve it, nor can I get out to work it.

Only thing growing in my backyard is weeds. Soil's crap, I can't afford to improve it, nor can I get out to work it.

Thats a bit harsh dude... isn't there some foundation that could help? We have Activ Industries here, basically a gardening mob who employ mentally challenged people to do odd jobs... look into it, they might be able to help you out, since you are physically challenged. Your local council might be able to help. Where i grew up they had Numbat Industries who did a similar thing.