SquallStrife

16-port GbE Switches

I'm after a decent rack-mountable 16-port GbE switch. Managed would be a boon, but is not essential.

The Linksys models I've looked at have all gotten negative reviews re throughput and return rates.

What are Netgear's switches like?

Linksys' [web] managed switches seem to have had pretty flaky SNMP (and other) implementations in the past. Netgear's the only other brand I'd bother looking at though I'm sure there'll be a flood of replies to the effect of "my yumcha superflowertwat switch cost me $6 and it's been working fine for 11.9 months so I don't know why anyone complains about them".

I've been looking at 16 port GbE switch as well and came to the same conclusion, the NetGear jobbie.

EDIT : looking again, what about the Netgear GS716T or Netgear GS116 ?

Edited by Mac Dude

I am looking for something for work, but that comment about SNMP tells me not to worry with Linksys.

I've been looking at 16 port GbE switch as well and came to the same conclusion, the NetGear jobbie.

EDIT : looking again, what about the Netgear GS716T or Netgear GS116 ?

Hmm...

Netgear GS716T = $450

Netgear GS116 = $330

The GS716T seems like good value, but I don't /really/ need a managed switch, and I'd rather save the extra $100.

The GS116 looks like it's just the desktop variant of the one I linked. I'm after a rackmount solution, but good to know this one exists! :)

Edited by SquallStrife

maxx: if it's for work, go for the most appropriate HP model. Don't offer any other options :-)