Sign in to follow this  
tardis

Wireless Internet

Contrary to public opinion the Telstra wireless system can be quite good occasionally.

This brings to me to my question.

One moment my download speed is like 1100kbs and then drops to 12kbs. There is no rhyme or reason it just changes. This makes VOIP a pain in the ass.

Any ideas on antennae or any other boosting device?

Ta

I say check around the house or even around your block for devices that might share the same frequency as your Telstra Wireless network. hence why they bring out all those N protocol of wireless network, just to capture all the scatter airwaves that can happened, when someone turns on a microwave oven, uses a cordless phone, blah blah and wateva that can cause interference. But thats just an educated guess.

Contrary to public opinion the Telstra wireless system can be quite good occasionally.

This brings to me to my question.

One moment my download speed is like 1100kbs and then drops to 12kbs. There is no rhyme or reason it just changes. This makes VOIP a pain in the ass.

Any ideas on antennae or any other boosting device?

Ta

Basically HSDPA achieves it's high speeds by splitting data transmissions between several phone towers, (also used in A-GPS) if one or more of those towers has marginal reception and drops in and out this will affect your speed.

You are also sharing the network with other users so if one or more of those towers has congestion issues this will also affect performance.

P.S. You can't always beleive what you see in advertising, you will always see fine print with advertises speeds being prefaced with 'up to'.

I am sooo impressed with the turnaround on questions.

I didn't know about the splitting between towers. Given my location I think there is only one tower within cooee. Does that mean if someone else uses a mobile phone my response rate will drop?

Thanks again