Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

The Official Metal Thread

Is there a difinitive guide to tell me just what this 'Metal' is. A fwe bands I thought were metal, I'm told by random douchebags really aren't.

I like: Fear Factory, Alchemist, Devin Towsnend (Strapping Young Lad etc), Opeth, Dragonforce (only for 1 or two songs tho), Disturbed, Dethklok, Tool, Irelevant

I used to like: Meshugguh and Machine Head, but they just don't do it for me any more.

Is there a difinitive guide to tell me just what this 'Metal' is. A fwe bands I thought were metal, I'm told by random douchebags really aren't.

I like: Fear Factory, Alchemist, Devin Towsnend (Strapping Young Lad etc), Opeth, Dragonforce (only for 1 or two songs tho), Disturbed, Dethklok, Tool, Irelevant

I used to like: Meshugguh and Machine Head, but they just don't do it for me any more.

Never heard of Irelevant.. and Disturbed is more hard rock

Besides that they are all some form of metal

I'm into classic metal/hard rock like AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead etc.

I don't like to get too much involved into what is and what isn't. Just putting music into genre's doesn't make sense to me.

The being said, this is a great start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBACFAGokA (Metal: A Headbangers Journey)

Hmm well I started on Ithyphallic, the second album with drummer George Kollias, one of the best drummers you'll hear. His work is amazing. But anyway, before that I was listening to some of their work on youtube... Execration Text was the first song of theirs I ever heard and from that I was enthralled.

I just recently bought In Their Darkened Shrines, that too is full of win, and I'm looking to get their other albums ASAP

Sacrifice unto Sebek was the first I heard. I downloaded a few like, Papyrus containing the spell to preserve its possessor against attacks from he who is in the water (takes breath), Annihilation of the Wicked, and Laying the fire upon Apep. Thereafter, I went and bought every album. Absolutely awesome music! I can't wait for another(?) album to come out :D

Slipknot?

I thought this was a metal thread..

I lol'd.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

I was in love with Metallica...that was when I was in year 2 :P

The very first song i heard was Fuel...and i fell in love with it

Edited by raradawg

Yeah, I get the douche bags. The douche bags need a hobby.

Yeah, I get the douche bags. The douche bags need a hobby.

They've got a hobby, it's called listening to metal.

;)

I'm into classic metal/hard rock like AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead etc.

Yah, me too.

I've also been listening to select songs from newer bands, such as Dragonforce, Bullet for my Valentine, and Hammerfall. I also fell in love with Priestess after hearing "Lay Down" in Guitar Hero 3, bought their CD, all win, imo.

I've tried, but I really can't get into bands with the low, gutteral throat singing. Anyone suggest a band that might fit my more classic metal leanings?

Irrelevant: www.myspace.com/irrelevant

A Sydney based band. Caught them at the Green Room in Canberra a year or so ago. really good fun band to watch live. Musicians who can actually play, and are really good in a technical sense. The mosh pit didn't quite know what to do with crotchet triplets.

edit: Now I think about it a bit, maybe these guys aren't metal, some other sort of rock maybe.

Edited by pwarren

Yah, me too.

I've also been listening to select songs from newer bands, such as Dragonforce, Bullet for my Valentine, and Hammerfall. I also fell in love with Priestess after hearing "Lay Down" in Guitar Hero 3, bought their CD, all win, imo.

I've tried, but I really can't get into bands with the low, gutteral throat singing. Anyone suggest a band that might fit my more classic metal leanings?

Dimmu Borgir you might like so checkout some of the tunes on youtube

I also like Megadeth, Fear Factory and Machinehead. Left these off my list before

Bullet for my Valentine

sorry, but...

*vomite*

Shadows Fall are good .. .sort of thrash revival, if you don't like Bullet For My Valentine.

Has anybody given Chimaira's new album a spin? I did today and it's quite good. Nothing out of this world, but good value.

Standard issue thread neglect :P

Now listening: Lost Horizon - A Flame To The Ground Beneath (good power metal :))

Just got Morbid Angel and Cradle of Filth tickets, should be good. :)

Anyone else going?

Glad I'm working close to Perth atm, I can sneak into the city... works going to be rough in the morning though. :P

Can't stand half of this new/euro-metal shit these days.

Back in my day, metal had words and riffs, now it seems to have naught but screams and people fucking guitars to a rhythm of sorts.

Give me metallica over this Dimmu Borgir rubbish any day.

I'm into the classic metal too, (Black Sabbath, ACDC, Alice Cooper, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Van Halen) havn't really heard much after the 80's. Except for some Korn, system of a down etc

I had an 80's 21st last weekend and went as a "Hair Metal" Chick.

Majorly teased hair (my hair is very long), Lots of Blue eyeshadow, Short black skirt, Denim Jacket, Band Badges...