Electr0

Team Fortress 2

I'm thinking of buying TF2, but i was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it? Is it a good game, etc?

Also i've never used or bought anything off steam before so how does one go about doing it?

Will I have to download TF2 or get it on a CD, if so how big is it?

Thanks in advance.

TF2 is an awesome game get it, nuff said. To buy it on steam, u can use either credit card or paypal. I'm not sure how big the download will be but it will be fairly large because of the updates. Although, u can probaly get it in a physical box also but u will still need to update it

Edited by SlurmsMackenzie

I'm thinking of buying TF2, but i was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it? Is it a good game, etc?

Awesome game. Your question is the equivelent of "Did The Sims sell well?" - TF2 has been the most popular online game in recent times.

Will I have to download TF2 or get it on a CD, if so how big is it?

Currently Steam tells me TF2 is taking up 7.2GB, but the download would be smaller than this because the files would be compressed. Also it may count as local/internal data depending on your ISP etc.

If you haven't played HL2 (or any of the Episodes)

or Portal (this games is awsome wrapped in bacon then covered in more awsome)

Look at the orange box.

It has the above + team fortress 2 (which other have said is awsome cause it is)

more info here and on google:

http://orange.half-life2.com/

enjoy

TF2 is made of win. It's a great game.

You have a few options of obtaining the files. You can download it (if you're on Bigpond, Internode, iiNet, Westnet or one other ISP I can't remember then you can get it all without counting towards your monthly limit), grab a backup of the games from a friend, take your PC to a mates place with one of the aforementioned ISPs who give the content freely and download it there, or grab a copy of the install disks.

Steam is very flexible like that. Getting physical copies of the disks from a store is the expensive way to go, mind you.

As for the size, the files TF2 users total around 7.4GB. These "Game Cache Files" contain a lot of shared data (eg, source materials.gcf has stuff for most source games), so I'm not sure whether only what TF2 needs will be added to teh GCF files or not (I have crap loads of games on Steam, incl. quite a few that use these files, so it's quite possible mine are artificially inflated from what you'd get)

--edit--

(damn, beaten by elefante)

+1 to getting the Orange Box, as well.

=--EDIT 2--=

I just did a Steam backup of TF2. It takes up 3.5GiB total. I can only assume this is roughly equivalent to what would be downloaded should you get only TF2.

Edited by sirsquidness

Cool, i might invest in The Orange Box. I don't know how stores can justify charging about $100 when you can get it off steam for $30.

Does anyone have a copy of The Orange Box that they could lend me? Not the key, just the files so i don't have to download about 5GB off steam and use all my internet allowance lol.

EDIT: Didn't see the above post.

Edited by Electr0

Depending on your ISP you miiiight get it un-metered...? I grabbed the Ornage Box & Left 4 Dead today and most of the download came in quota free since my ISP (iinet) has 3FL in their Freezone... Unfortunately it didn't ALL come in as Freezone.. when I called iinet they said they can't control exactly how much of the content 3FL has and if you buy / update stuff that isn't on their server (which I have selected in my Steam settings) then Steam will get it from someone else... metered of course..

TF2 is an excellent game, well worth the purchase price. Valve keeps on updating it too, which means that it won't lose value as much as COD 4 will inevitably do when Modern Warfare 2 comes out.

OMG yes!

Also i've never used or bought anything off steam before so how does one go about doing it?

Set up an account, purchase the game, download and then play till your hand cramps up.

As has already been mentioned, go for the Orange Box. The extra money is well worth it even if it's just to complete Portal and listen to the song. Just keep in mind that it's $29.99US which is about $43 AUD (as at 10th April when my mate bought it).

Depending on your ISP you miiiight get it un-metered...? I grabbed the Ornage Box & Left 4 Dead today and most of the download came in quota free since my ISP (iinet) has 3FL in their Freezone... Unfortunately it didn't ALL come in as Freezone.. when I called iinet they said they can't control exactly how much of the content 3FL has and if you buy / update stuff that isn't on their server (which I have selected in my Steam settings) then Steam will get it from someone else... metered of course..

You can get a program to block usage of other non-freezone Steam servers quite easily. I don't use them, but there'll be other people around who can give a run down on what it's called and how to use it.

1. Get Steam.

2. Buy Orange box.

3. Destroy any copies of Cod 4/WaW

4. Play TF2 until you suffer a heart attack.

5. Recover and repeat step 4 as much as necessary.

Just bought The Orange Box... now just have to wait a few days until it downloads...

I have a 2Mbps connection so it shouldn't take too long.

EDIT: Just did a quick calculation and it should take about 6 hours to download... if the package is 6GB.

Edited by Electr0

one of the joys of having a cable connection, the downloading is an almost insignificant part of the process.

one of the joys of having a cable connection, the downloading is an almost insignificant part of the process.

Arse. I'm thinking maybe I should have just bought the DVD's...

Haha, it probably would have been cheaper by the time I download all the games... At $80 per 10GB.

EDIT: To download The Orange Box in its entirety it will be 33,482MB so about 33.5GB.... HOLY F**K!!

Edited by Electr0

Arse. I'm thinking maybe I should have just bought the DVD's...

Haha, it probably would have been cheaper by the time I download all the games... At $80 per 10GB.

EDIT: To download The Orange Box in its entirety it will be 33,482MB so about 33.5GB.... HOLY F**K!!

yea all the HL2's are standalones and not really expansions on the original.

Byt the way TF2 is the worst game I have ever played, I couldn't stand 10mins of it, I seriously don't understand all the hype it got, just stick to COD4 and CS:S for decent multiplayer based games.

TF2 is probably the best team based online game these days, having played BF2 (plus derivatives) and as well as Day of Defeat: Source. It's a good investment if you read up on some of the guides out there in what to expect.

@ nesquick, CSS isn't really multiplayer these days as one man can easily make up a single team. Plus, I never liked how some 'people' take over these days...<_<

Having clocked something like 350+ hours on TF2 I can safely say.

Yes. It is alot of fun.

@ nesquick, CSS isn't really multiplayer these days as one man can easily make up a single team. Plus, I never liked how some 'people' take over these days...<_<

Its still fun at lans since you don't need a super computer to run it well (same with TF2 I guess)

Byt the way TF2 is the worst game I have ever played, I couldn't stand 10mins of it, I seriously don't understand all the hype it got, just stick to COD4 and CS:S for decent multiplayer based games.

Honestly I don't understand all the hype COD4 got, yes it was a good game but it really didn't bring anything new to the genre.

COD4/WAW/CSS

all great for lans / non pub mates online

TF2 is the most complete and fun to play even for noobs online game I still play after a year and a half. others get an airing at lan's but TF2 is 100% golden win with benefits.

Just got an update so now you can have headgear I hear. Bet that CSS

Honestly I don't understand all the hype COD4 got, yes it was a good game but it really didn't bring anything new to the genre.

Did you play any of the non standardized game modes like Headquaters? if you just play TD it gets very repetitive, I like to have something to fight for and I also like how you can customize every weapon to suit your style of play like adding silencers and different finishes ect.

for me it does everything CS:S did but also improved in a lot of areas CS:S annoyed the crap out of me.

So I managed to download TF2 today and i played it for 4 hours straight this arvo. Unfortunately I have a heap of uni work to do, other wise I would still be playing it. Thanks guys :)

I do have a could of questions but:

-> With the briefcase thing-o how to you get / find / collect items to put in there? And what does in there?

-> How do you level up your gun / character. All my weapons have a "Level 1" next to them, how do i get them to level 2 and beyond?

With the briefcase thing-o how to you get / find / collect items to put in there? And what does in there?

The briefcase already contains the intelligence, you simply have to carry it back to your own intelligence.

How do you level up your gun / character. All my weapons have a "Level 1" next to them, how do i get them to level 2 and beyond?

You have to gain 10 or more achievements in certain classes to unlock additional weapons. So far, the Scout, Heavy, Medic and Pyro have unlockable weapons, and the Sniper is not far off. These additional weapons are part of the continual upgrade process that valve has in place. The usual way to unlock the extra weapons is to achieve 10, then 20, then 30 of the achievements for that class.

for everything you ever wanted to know (plus a lot more)

With the briefcase thing-o how to you get / find / collect items to put in there? And what does in there?

The briefcase already contains the intelligence, you simply have to carry it back to your own intelligence.

No no, I mean when you go into the character info part and you select the class you want info on there is a briefcase there that (for me is empty) has slots that you can put things in. What do you put in there and how do you get it in the first place?