AboodY

Wifi Hotspot or Squid Box

Hello people,

I am looking for a wireless access point that has some extra things. two options.

what we would like is a WiFi hotspot with ability to shape bandwidth, add user restrictions (time, download/bandwidth limit, ect.), open ports and similure stuf like that.

I have looked into a squid box but would like a single unit (if able to have one) and i can not figure out how to have it so that adding users on the box is easy (non technicaly minded people will be using this to add accounts and i was thingkin of something with a html front end).

Does any one have any suggestions.

Would like a little wifi box but would be ok with a squid server.

AboodY

Is this for a residential setup or a business? Will adding users be something which is done frequently or only when it's initially setup?

Is this for a residential setup or a business? Will adding users be something which is done frequently or only when it's initially setup?

Users will be added all the time and its a business setup

Mmm there are linux distros which will do most of what you want.

There's also commercial software. The only one I've used is firstspot and it seems to do its job reasonably well but on the downside it runs on Windows and a licence to do most of what you need is around $1200 from memory.

Netcomm and a few others make hardware boxes which do this kind of thing with varying levels of success. Many of them including the Netcomm device are rebadged yumcha access points with hotspot software loaded.

Do a bit of googling, check garlic's link and compare a few products, paying attention to the features in each - many have piss poor or no traffic shaping capability or fairly rigid account restrictions (some might only allow time based accounts; some might only allow usage-based accounts).

where i work we use this:

http://www.netcomm.com.au/__data/assets/fi...Spec_Sheet_.pdf

easy setup, secure. we mainly install them in hotels.

how it works is, you connect to the Wireless and with out being authenticated youll be reditrected to a login page. the user is generated via the thermal printer. the duration of the account is chosen by which button on the printer you press ... etc. there is also web based account generation. bandwidth limiting is possible but havent used the feature myself.

Hi

I was looking into this but i never got around to it, at the time i found a plugin for ipcop but you would need to download ipcop and use a plugin called copspot but you would need a spare computer (966mhz cpu, 256mb ram) i ran ipcop on but you might get away with a virtual machine like e.g virtualbox is free

WiFi hotspot with ability to shape bandwidth, add user restrictions (time, download/bandwidth limit, ect.), open ports and similure stuf like that.

I have looked into a squid box but would like a single unit (if able to have one) and i can not figure out how to have it so that adding users on the box is easy (non technicaly minded people will be using this to add accounts and i was thingkin of something with a html front end).

Does any one have any suggestions.

Would like a little wifi box but would be ok with a squid server.

AboodY

I know 99& you can run a squid proxy and i know 100% you can ability to shape bandwidth and add user restrictions and use dhcp on it but im not sure about squid filtering the hotspot. Best way to check out the forums it might help :)

sun virtualbox www.virtualbox.org

ipcop (hosted on sourceforge) http://www.ipcop.org

copspot plugin http://www.ban-solms.de/t/IPCop-copspot.html

Just though ill sigin up and help you out :)

Edited by francisuk