Sign in to follow this  
Lambo

WD20EADS

I've always thought this drive was 7200RPM. Since that's what everyone lists it as.

However I'm starting to see conflicting information.

Toms Hardware list it as a 5400RPM and make serveral mentions of it's slower spin speed in this article:

Article

WD website don't list this fact on their website.

Anyone have any information regarding this?

Ok just got word from WD,

Green drives don't specify the spin speed, the description they has is that it's “Intelipower”

so, is that marketdroid speak for something like "up to 5400 rpm"?

Your guess is as good as mine, but I trust toms to be telling the truth of it being 5400RPM.

It would make sense sinse it's a 'Green' drive. Slower RPM = less power.....

I thought they didn't specify a RPM speed because the drive controller can change the spindle speed (up to 5400rpm)

I thought they didn't specify a RPM speed because the drive controller can change the spindle speed (up to 5400rpm)

That's my understanding now.

It's just if you look out on the web plenty of places advertise it as 7200RPM.

Edited by Lambo

Tis my understanding that the drives have a spindle speed of up to 7200RPM. But that in reality no individual drives have been found that are faster than ~5900RPM. I don't believe that they can spin at variable speeds.

Intellipower is a marketing thing.

I think the idea was that each individual drive would be 'tuned' to the point where power consumption and noise did not exceed certain levels. theoretically a drive could come out of the factory meeting those specs at 7200RPM, but, well...reality be a harsh mistress.

I think they go in depth on the issue on http://www.silentpcreview.com/ , not sure where the actual article is though.

Edit:

The article was on the front page in fact.

Edited by MisterK

Nah, your talking in the 5 watt range.

High performance consumer drives might be 8-10W at worst

Nah, your talking in the 5 watt range.

High performance consumer drives might be 8-10W at worst

Is that under full load though?

If so, lulz.

Yeah, when WD first released the Green drives it claimed 5400-7200rpm drives but didn't specify what that meant. Some reviewers thought it meant there were two versions, one running at 5400rpm and the other at 7200rpm. Some reviewers thought it meant that the spindle speed varied depending on the task.

But the truth was they're all just plain 5400rpm. WD didn't want the stigma of slow speed that 5400rpm brings, and they were trying to insinuate that through firmware optimisation they could reach 7200rpm real world speeds with a 5400rpm drive. This, of course, was wrong. And proved by a couple of places - all the Green drives they had were measured for resonate frequency, proving a max 5400rpm.

So WD removed all mention of spindle speed from all their websites, and pretended it never happened.

Edited by tantryl