Sign in to follow this  
Cayra

302g and router conflicts for port forwarding

have a fairly craptacular D link 320g provided by my ISP and a N1 Belkin wireless router... I know neither of these are great choices.

As the modem also serves as a router (god why!!!) forwarding ports has become almost impossible as the router and the wannabe router conflict... my external IP is not the same as the one the router seems to think it is . Using PPPoe doesn't seem to work so or static address so i seem stucjk with Dynamic connection

This PC is in the DMZ on the router as vista firewall seems happy anyway ... Nat on the dlink doesn't seem to do anything using rules and prevents the connection working (or the router can't find it) same with bridge mode

This of course slows lots of things down... any suggestions? I'm sick of having to reset the router once I turn it into an access point and that doesn't seem to work...

I'm thinking maybe of just getting a basic functional broadband modem (that doesn't want to be a router) any recommendations? wwe don't have adsl 2 yet here but we may do... very broke at the mo any cheap solutions would be great

I'm thinking it's the modem... connecting directly to it produces the same symptoms

D Link 302 g (not sure about firmware)

N1 Belkin wireless (current firmware)

Vista 64 (home premium)

Chariot ISP

Thanks for reading all of this

Are you able to bridge the modem/router and connect it to the WAN port on the Belkin? You should then be able to use PPPoE on the belkin, and your port forwarding should work (assuming the reason it isn't currently working is becuase of the double NAT, and not because there are hardware faults)

On the flipside, you could always turn your Wireless Router into an AP only. If you do this however, you will have to plug the modem into one of the switchports, not the WAN port.

What garlic said. You need to set the modem to bridge mode and then set up the Belkin to do the connecting etc. This turns the DLink in to a dumb modem which the Belkin controls.

Thanks Guys... yes I'd tried that lots of ways but the router and the D Link still wouldn't be mates

I've read a few people have had probs with that modem

So I bought and all in one and it's working soooo much better

So I bought and all in one and it's working soooo much better

Definitely the easiest way to solve the problem, and with the prices of all in ones not too expensive either.