Dasa

Parts Guide (2019 update)

There fanless to 40% load and virtually silent with the fan operating under 800RPM up to about 70% load.

Updated a bunch of builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Yep but at this stage with the 1920x being $629 vs 2920x $1000 it is a good buy while stock lasts

Edit: there we go updated the threadripper build just for you  🙂

Decent value bundle at pccg for 2970X and MB $200 saving

AMD Threadripper 2970WX ROG Pack
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX 24 Core 48 Thread $2299

$2299

Put a bit of work into updating the little screamer but not as much work as someone would put into squeezing all that into that case.

Edited by Dasa
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Out of the list above thanks Dasa, i chose a little from "AMD gamer and AMD value gamer.
Do you think this is a stable list? no hick ups with the RAM?

-----Old PC-----

Asus P8Z68-V
Intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
Noctua NH-U12P
8GB RIPJAWS X 1600Mhz DDR3
Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Ver.
Asus MX239H AH-IPS
WD Green 1TB
Corsair RM550x (old one = Seasonic X 650W 80+ Gold)
Fractal R3
Intel SSD 530

------NEW PC-------

CPU $239 AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core Socket AM4 3.4GHz CPU Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
  MB $208 Asus STRIX B450-F
 RAM $149 G.Skill 16G (2x8G) F4-3200C16D-16GTZB PC4-25600 / DDR4 3200 Mhz
        = $596

Already own:
PSU - Corsair RM550x
SSD - Intel SSD 530
GPU - Asus 1060 3gb
Case  Fractal R3

Edited by Mysticizm

Posted (edited)

Ryzen 3600 is out within a week I think hold out for that it seems to be a big improvement for ~$330

For a B450 MB to work it will need BIOS flashback or for the store to update the BIOS for you

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=639584818

If you want to OC and are willing to wait a bit longer for it to arrive you can get some good RAM from newegg

F4-3200C14D-16GVK $187

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232217

Current BIOS are fairly stable with most RAM kit's but if you wan to be sure it has been tested to work check the MB QVL or the G.Skill QVL.

Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)

I've got a bit out of touch over the years with PC tech developments, so boy is this a great starting point. Wonderful work, Dasa! 

I had a couple of questions about using the gaming builds as a starting point:

Would I be able to use my current case (Antec Three Hundred, which is an ATX tower) and my current PSU (a 750W ATX Seasonic, I think it's either an M12 or X series; I'll see if I can take it out if you need to know exactly what it is), while also transferring over my Asus Xonar Essence STX?

Also, how loud are these builds? I’d like to end up with something quieter than my current PC: previously mentioned case and PSU with an HD4890 and E8500. After the original CPU fan broke, it was replaced with a generic one as I wasn’t overclocking, so most of the noise comes from the CPU and GPU.

I know it’s difficult to make a quiet gaming PC, but other than the quiet CPU cooling fan on the AMD build, are there any other places I could look to reduce noise in either build? (Is the intel build quieter than the AMD one?)

Edited by foolz

AMD 3000 series is probably cooler running than Intel at the moment.

Things that matter for noise are mostly your choice of cooling for CPU\GPU followed by your selection of case\PSU.

Making a quiet gaming PC is a lot easier than it used to be and I try to make all builds as quiet as possible but when there is a budget to work to sacrifices need to be made.

I have also been helping to update the builds over here some of which are currently more up to date than this guide.

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs

So, finally had time to get back to this! 

To beef up the near-silent build on Whirlpool I came up with this, as I must admit I'm interested in ray-tracing and Metro Exodus at 60fps. Not to mention that Cyberpunk is just around the corner!

What I came up with was this; goal was more power, but still very quiet: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x or 7 2700x (not sure the 3700x is really necessary)

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

SSD: Intel 660p 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 AERO ITX 8G Graphics Card (or an MSI RTX 2060 or 2060 Super if I chicken out on spending so much on a video card!)

Case: Silberstone Kubali KL07B

PSU: Silverstoen SFX SX500

CPU: Heatsink: Noctua NHU-14s

AM4 HSF: Mounting Kit.

ODD: DVD RW, PC blu-ray drivers aren't very good, are they?

Can I use that heatsink with the Ryzen 7, and will 500 watts still be safe with the beefier CPU and GPU?

Thank you once again!

Edited by foolz

2060 isn't powerful enough to handle ray tracing so you would be better of with RX 5700XT if you want something cheaper than 2070 Super which has been $750 on ebay 20% sales for a large 3 fan GB model.

HSF should be good

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 $315 or 3700X
Mobo: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX $159 <supports the CPU out of the box so doesn't need a old CPU to flash the BIOS first.

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200c16 $139 <Aim for balistic LT sport if you want to OC
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB $159

PSU: Corsair RM 550X $136

19 minutes ago, Dasa said:

2060 isn't powerful enough to handle ray tracing so you would be better of with RX 5700XT if you want something cheaper than 2070 Super which has been $750 on ebay 20% sales for a large 3 fan GB model.

HSF should be good

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 $315 or 3700X
Mobo: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX $159 <supports the CPU out of the box so doesn't need a old CPU to flash the BIOS first.

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200c16 $139 <Aim for balistic LT sport if you want to OC
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB $159

PSU: Corsair RM 550X $136

I was put off the RX 5700XT due to its noise levels at high load.

Is the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 AERO ITX 8G Graphics Card not powerful enough for ray tracing, either; I'll only be running things at 1080P? I found one for only $669, so it's not in the same league as the turbo version price-wise.

Thanks again, particularly for the motherboard suggestion! 🙂

Edited by foolz

New models of the 5700xt with 3 fans are ok for noise

I think you will find the ITX version of the 2070 will also be just as loud

2070 super still drops below 60FPS with ray tracing enabled

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-07-02-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-rtx-2070-super-review?page=2

Honestly I dont now that improved reflections are worth the current performance hit it creates

21 minutes ago, Dasa said:

New models of the 5700xt with 3 fans are ok for noise

I think you will find the ITX version of the 2070 will also be just as loud

2070 super still drops below 60FPS with ray tracing enabled

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-07-02-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-rtx-2070-super-review?page=2

Honestly I dont now that improved reflections are worth the current performance hit it creates

Wow, even the 2080 TI doesn't quite crack 60fps on all tests!

You're right, the decibel rating I can find for the ITX clocks in at 45 db and the triple fan 5700xt at 40db! That eBay voucher really is tempting...

Edited by foolz

So, you've talked me into narrowing it down to that gigabyte 5700XT $668 or an MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 270 SUPER Gaming X Trio $878. I overestimated the price of some of the parts, so I can probably get a card in that price range, and still come in close enough to the $2,000 mark (give or take a few hundred dollars) that I can live with myself.

Anyway, the msi 2700 super seems to run Metro ray tracing at 50-60fps, but more importantly is a little quieter (37db under load) than the triple fan 5700XT (40db under load); I was wondering if you knew how loud the 5700XT runs when not playing games, as the msi 2700 runs very quiet at 29db and the fans can be switched off.

Also, the 2700 Super might be a little bit more futureproof?

Lastly, for additional storage are there better options than the Seagate 2tb firecuda or WD 4TB Blue both at $147 that I'm missing? And for the disc drive I was thinking either an LG GH24NSD1 or LGBH16

Apologies for the double post.

Get the 5700XT (not the AMD reference model of course), but it's not overclockable if you're into that.

Cant really go on a dB reading alone unless it is done on the same test bench.

Doesn't have the GB model but here is the noise level for a heap of 5700 XT

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro/31.html

Here is the GB 5700XT doing a little better than the sapphire pulse which is in the above review

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3509-gigabyte-rx-5700-xt-gaming-oc-review-benchmark

The fans on most cards with a large HSF like the GB 5700XT OC will shut the fan's of when idle so it should be silent

However there seems to be a problem with multiple monitors where it has a higher idle clock speed and power use so the fan may kick in if you run more than one display

Here are 2070 Super results

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x/31.html

Edited by Dasa

16 hours ago, Dasa said:

Cant really go on a dB reading alone unless it is done on the same test bench.

Doesn't have the GB model but here is the noise level for a heap of 5700 XT

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro/31.html

Here is the GB 5700XT doing a little better than the sapphire pulse which is in the above review

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3509-gigabyte-rx-5700-xt-gaming-oc-review-benchmark

The fans on most cards with a large HSF like the GB 5700XT OC will shut the fan's of when idle so it should be silent

However there seems to be a problem with multiple monitors where it has a higher idle clock speed and power use so the fan may kick in if you run more than one display

Here are 2070 Super results

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x/31.html

That's very impressive, pretty much neck and neck with the gaming x! I don't use multiple monitors when gaming, but I do for standard computing activities when needed so that could potentially be a bit of an issue as it's here where I really want the PC to be as quiet as possible. 

The gaming  x trio though still seems to be noticeably quieter based on the techpowerup tests (albeit it's a close-run thing, and the gigabyte would be a little closer still than the sapphire going by gamernexus), so I'm definitely leaning heavily towards it;. I know you pretty much can't beat the value of the 5700XT at that price, but the features probably just pip it for me even so.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x-trio/31.html

Edited by foolz

Coincidentally I was actually just looking at the Kitguru reviews for the MSI and Gigabyte today, but hadn't noticed the Gigabyte on eBay at that price! That is brilliant! 

The only thing holding me back on pulling the trigger on the gigabyte right now is that there seem to be quite a few people on Reddit saying their non-super windforce RTX 2070s had problems with artifacts, or failed within a few months. Are Gigabyte videocards a bit less reliable than MSI these days?

Edited by foolz

No idea they all have there duds but they both have 3y warranty so if you have any problems they should take care of it.

38 minutes ago, Dasa said:

No idea they all have there duds but they both have 3y warranty so if you have any problems they should take care of it.

True.

I think the Kitguru review was actually for this, though: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-SUPER-GAMING-OC-8GB-Graphics-Video-Card-USBC-DP/362705969454?hash=item5472f5e12e:g:vX0AAOSwf8VdhCik:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!3121!AU!-1&frcectupt=true which is still $50 less to be fair! The windforce doesn't run so quiet and cool, judging by comments on the Kitguru review: a few people were perplexed as to how they got it to run so quiet and cool, and it turned out they had the windforce, not the gaming, heh.

So I'll sleep on the Gigabyte Gaming vs MSI Trio (it has shiny lights, so that's gotta be worth something, right? :P) as people on Reddit are also claiming the RMA process with Gigabyte wasn't good, or that they received inadequate repairs! 

Ah good catch

The gaming has a 50mm thick HSF vs 40mm on the windforce

Well, against everyone's best judgement (including my own) i ended up getting the Gaming Trio X. 😛 

Also ordered the Ryzen 7 3700x and Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (2x8) DDR UDIMM 3200MHZ 16-18-18. Hoping to hit 3600MHZ, but we'll see...

Edited by foolz

On 19/09/2019 at 2:23 PM, foolz said:

Lastly, for additional storage are there better options than the Seagate 2tb firecuda or WD 4TB Blue both at $147 that I'm missing? And for the disc drive I was thinking either an LG GH24NSD1 or LGBH16

How much storage are you actually after?  What are the restrictions?

My most recent purchase was a 4TB 2.5" Seagate (IIRC) and a 10TB 3.5" Seagate.  The 2.5" was a faff around because it's too tall to fit in most 2.5" spaces.  The 10TB has been great so far.