really nice thread Dasa. I'm starting to look at components for a build, and the thread has been very useful indeed...

glad its of use

just spotted the mini mac while looking at atom configs its sure has very low idle power use at 13w and a decent amount of grunt with the 2ghz core 2 and nvidia 9400 just a shame it has no hdmi and costs over 1k with only 1g ram and 160g hdd

Nice work.

Oh, with the useful threads, you spelt 'water cooling' with one 'o'

you spelt 'water cooling' with one 'o'

its called efficiency! the cpu produces less heat by not having to process the code for the extra character.

you spelt 'water cooling' with one 'o'

its called efficiency! the cpu produces less heat by not having to process the code for the extra character.

lol thats a nice way to look at it

yet another typo bites the dust

well i have changed around the quad core builds a fair bit making the amd quad a cheaper am2+ build rather than am3 and added a q9550 build as well as a cheaper i7 build

i guess i also have to add something about the gpu choices so people have a better idea what to pick

hmm might scrap the q9550 build its price is fairly close to the cheaper i7 build

Edited by Dasa

Q9550 are still ok if people dont care to spend extra for ddr3 and $300+ for a 1366 motherboard.

the price difference with a $209 mb and $89 ddr2 for the q9550 build was just $195 less the the i7 you could trim that cost down a few $ with generic ram and a cheap mb but imo go a cheaper build like e8400 or phenom 2 or spend the extra on i7

thanks to whoever stickied this

just found this interesting thread with a huge amount of info on monitors

The LCD Thread

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...p;enterthread=y

i have been tempted to buy a dell led lcd to replace one of the old crt in the office that use more power turned off than this thing will on two of which are losing there brightness but i have been reading everything from great reviews to horrific ones about them

i might just grab the 22" while its $50 off even though the 24" isnt much more since the vertical res is much the same there isnt much to gain unless the panel is better quality

Edited by Dasa

4770 is a great value card at the moment because after a little research it seems its CF performance is astounding.

hey dasa,

Im jsut about to start getting parts for my pc build. Just thought id look into atomic and see what people were recommending and came upon your thread.

Any particular reason you rate patriot memory over the rest? namely corsair?

hey dasa,

Im jsut about to start getting parts for my pc build. Just thought id look into atomic and see what people were recommending and came upon your thread.

its the cheapest ddr800 ram with 444 timmings which is faster than ram with 555 timmings

generic ram with 555 is also fine but since the patriot is only ~$10-30 more i went with it

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB is cheap!

Quick! Everybody!

Buy one nao!

Its like 121 bucks...what a bargain for such a good drive.

Seeing the i7 940s and 965s are dissapearing... you could change that Insanity rig with a 975?

hey dasa,

Just though i'd add that they have a life time warranty. Not sure if Corsair does but i know patriot does (and they have cool heat sinks).

added a few more links a while back and just added a new amd build which looks like decent value to me

Low Budget gamer 2

CPU AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.1GHz 7MB $138 - OR - Phenom II X3 Triple Core 720 2.8GHz 6MB $188

MB GA-MA770T-UD3P $126

RAM GSkill G.Skill Trident 4GB Kit (2GB X 2) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD 8-8-8 $101

HDD 320g 16m 7200 sata $63

CASE\PSU Antec NSK6580 $158

TOTAL $586-636+gpu

added a few more links a while back and just added a new amd build which looks like decent value to me

Low Budget gamer 2

CPU AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.1GHz 7MB $138 - OR - Phenom II X3 Triple Core 720 2.8GHz 6MB $188

MB GA-MA770T-UD3P $126

RAM GSkill G.Skill Trident 4GB Kit (2GB X 2) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD 8-8-8 $101

HDD 320g 16m 7200 sata $63

CASE\PSU Antec NSK6580 $158

TOTAL $586-636+gpu

Yeah those are a very viable alternative to Intel - and with that setup you'll likely have much more of an upgrade path than with 775.

thanks for the link .:Cyb3rGlitch:. looks good

shame 4g ram cant be fit into the sub $600 build

and i find it amusing that the $2000 build has potential to be faster than the $2500 build but its all good

i would probably try to squeeze these part into the last build

Scythe Mugen 2 $79

GSKILL G.Skill PI 8-8-21 Tri Channel 6GB Kit (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 PC-12800 $145

HD4890 OC 900mhz 1000mhz $285 x3

Corsair HX-750 $245

sapphire 4890 vaporx HD4890 Vapor-X, 870Mhz 1050Mhz toxic 960Mhz 1050Mhz is worth a look to as it seems to be much quieter than the stock cooling while beeing cooler to but then its ~$330-370 vs ~$280 still a good option for someone who wants low noise though

philo-sofa

thanks for the feedback im not as familiar with amd gear as i would like nowdays

Edited by Dasa

Suggestion for HDD's - the Seagate 7200.12's seem to be materially faster than the WD Blacks and are also significantly cheaper: $142 - $150 for the 1TB WD vs $119 - $125 for the Seagate.

There aren't all that many reviews out yet (one from Bit-Tech), however user testing seems to support their being the new top peforming 7200RPM platter drive. The 500GB and 1TB 7200.12's are based on 500GB platters.

Oh.. and no reports yet of them mysteriously bricking themselves ;)

Edited by philo-sofa

Yeah, I heard they were trying to beat the Spinpoint F1... Just didn't know they were out yet.

yer the seagate drive is a decent opion

the larger platters give it better read speeds but bad firmware and i guess bad platter maturity gives them lower write times and bad seak times which dont mater as much for game load times as loading is just reading and seaking isnt much of a problem if the drive isnt fragmented

the blacks extra cost is partialy the extra 2 years warranty to

Hmm. The warranty thing is a bit fail - thought Seagates had a 5 yr :/

From the above article in spite of apparent bad seek times, the drive performs well in read ops, and in write operations, however does less well in simulataneous read & write. Still have a suspicion it's on top, but does seem to bear waiting for more in depth analysis before it could be declared faster than the black.

Edited by philo-sofa