Hey there Dasa, you might want to replace the Sempron with the Sempron 140. The 140 is just a Athlon II X2 with one core disabled. With some luck, you can enable that core back into a fully functional core...

Hey there Dasa, you might want to replace the Sempron with the Sempron 140. The 140 is just a Athlon II X2 with one core disabled. With some luck, you can enable that core back into a fully functional core...

thanks for the tip

swapped it into the cheap build but left the too cheap build as every $10 less counts more than reliability or speed for that one

Somewhat surprised at the lack of 1156 chips in the higher end builds? I definitely feel the potential for the future hex-core on a 920 is worth a lot, along with dual x16 slots. However given the 1156 chips' reasonably significant system price difference, lower power consumption, slightly lower heat output, easier overclocking, as well as higher clocks and turbo modes for non-overclockers and (deep breath) given only a few percent of people use multi card setups, would it maybe be a good idea to have an i7 860 build in there for comparison, perhaps at the expense of one of the 920 builds?

860 imo is more of a work chip than a gaming chip its only benefit over the 750 is ht which it seems slows down more games than it helps

probably all thats needed is to list the 860 as a option in the value gamer build for those who also want to do some vm or encoding work

its much lower power use would sure make it a nice option for those wanting a powerful work pc there isnt really any disadvantages over i7 920 in most cases

price difference between a 860 and 920 system is only ~$75

Intel Core i7 920 $348 MSI X58 Pro-E X58 $220

Intel Core-i7 860 $353 Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 $139

thats just my thoughts anyway

or have i made a mistake and need to look at more reviews?

although i left not overclocking out of my thoughts

Edited by Dasa

a frd of mine just bought the lancool k62, the build quality is good for the price and it looks really good in flesh. only bad side is that its pretty heavy and its not aluminum like its brother (real lian-li of cuz). but i guess for that price, its a great case

ended up deciding that philo-sofa was right in that it was time for a bit of a change so merged the high end builds into one and did away with the one gpu option for them

added the 860 as a option for the value gamer build for anyone who wants to do work and game on it and if anyone wants to turn it into a work pc they just need to get a cheap gpu

llyuen thanks for your thoughts on the case good to hear its as good in the flesh

Edited by Dasa

Apologies for not replying DASA, my thinking was mainly around the extra TurboModes and HT. At present the turbo steppings offer a decent boost in games, and by the time they become sufficiently multi-threaded to lock-out the turbo modes, HT will actually be of value in games, as well as speeding up the odd encode. For overclockers the benefits are more sparse, but you can usually get a bit more out of an 860 with a bit less juice by the look of it, and as long as there's sufficient cooling HT will only become more useful. Either way, nice edits and as always, top builds chief :)

Does anyone know where I can get a Sapphire ATI HD 5870 or 5850 in Sydney? Like srsly. No shop has one atm and I got to wait till next month. WTF?

Edited by Oracle X

fair enough philo-sofa although i have my doubts about ht becoming real useful in games before the i7 is outdated since ht has been around since the p4 but you just never know

added this to the build list hopefully it will be of use if anyone thinks its missing something or wants to re write it so it seems clearer feel free

There has been a lot of people having trouble choosing between 1156 (i5 750 / i7 860) and 1366 (i7 920) so a quick run down on main differences

1156 uses less power is a little cheaper and better for non overclockers its main down side is for those who want to use crossfire\sli as it only has 2x8 pci-e which can limit performance a little

1366 has two full speed 16x pci-e slots may do a bit better when pushing for a high overclock it has triple channel memory but this provides next to no benefit in most things

edit

it was only $15 more to make the cheap build ddr3 now that ddr2 prices have almost doubled and for some reason ddr3 prices are also up a little despite the strong aus $

Edited by Dasa

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

RAM: 6GB Kit 1600Mhz G.Skill-NQ

Mobo: Gigabyte X58-UD3R

GPU: ASUS HD5850 1GB

HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB

DVD: Pioneer DVR-218L

Case: Silverstone Raven RV02

Cooler: TRUE + Ultra Kaze 2000RPM

Monitor: 2 x BenQ G2420

KB+M: Logitech Cordless Wave Pro

PSU: Corsair HX-650

That's a PC I designed for my brother, who needs a system for graphic design and video editing/rendering. Comes to about $2550.

Hey Cyber.. Nesquick thinks that the Raven's look cheap, something slapped together by NZXT!?

I already have the RV01, and it looks fine. Sure it's plastic, but it's a solid build coupled with excellent cooling and roomy interior. Each to their own really.

Hey Cyber.. Nesquick thinks that the Raven's look cheap, something slapped together by NZXT!?

I already have the RV01, and it looks fine. Sure it's plastic, but it's a solid build coupled with excellent cooling and roomy interior. Each to their own really.

Personally I think it looks teh schecs.

When did you do a build I thought you were strap for cash?

RAM: 6GB Kit 1600Mhz G.Skill-NQ

GPU: ASUS HD5850 1GB

That's a PC I designed for my brother, who needs a system for graphic design and video editing/rendering. Comes to about $2550.

very nice id be happy with that

im guessing the 5850 is there for a bit of gaming

as for the ram prices thats what the first two lines in the thread are for im not a staticice bot :)

Edited by Dasa

Personally I think it looks teh schecs.

When did you do a build I thought you were strap for cash?

In February.

/waves

Just posting to say thanks to Dasa et al. I've used this thread on a number of occasions as a starting point for various builds, and it's helped a lot.

Thanks for all the hard work...

updated the monitors section a fair bit

the low budget gamer builds cost a little more now to thanks to the 5770 1g replacing the 4770 512m and the samsung f3 hdd added a little

Mac Dude id be interested to know what parts you ended up going with for your builds

I thought I'd post the final build that I got for my brother:

RAM: 6GB Kit 1600Mhz Corsair XMS

GPU: 2 x Powercolor HD5770 1GB

The main change was the GPUs. Very nice build. The RV02 is a very slick looking case, and the GPUs are nice and quiet during load. One of my favourite builds so far. :)

Nah dude, have used them and they are anything but. In the flesh they look pretty impressive, and their build quality is really second to none - Silverstone have made huge strides in this with their cases of late, heck the RV series even has good cable management! :)

Man, the RV02 is really really awesome. I thought my RV01 was good, but fuck, the RV02 just looks slick. The cooling appears to have improved, and the case comes with switches to control fan speed. The air flow is second to none, which is to be expected, since it has 3 x 180mm fans for intake, and a single 120mm exhaust:

Posted Image

There's some things that I prefer on the RV01, like the easy access to the HDDs, and large space for GPUs, but that's not really an issue for the most part. For $200, this is my case of choice.

RV01 would be my next case if I didnt have the corsair waiting. Thats a real nice build though .:Cyb3rGlitch:. you should take some pictures of the setup :)

The biggest probelm with my Lian Li V1010A, it has no cable management at all (at least i have not seen it) and there is no sata backplane which i would love to use.

Have not found a suitable replacement.

added a new itx build just need silverstone to release a more gutsy sfx psu then we can stick a bigger gpu in there and do a little overclocking

Small pc 2

CPU i5 750 $229

MB DFI LANPARTY MI P55-T36 $198

RAM 4GB 1600Mhz 7-7-7-24 $177

GPU 5770 1Gb $188

HDD Samsung HD103SJ F3 $100

DVD SilverStone TOB02 Slim SATA Blu-ray $169

CASE\PSU Silverstone SG06 300W $129

TOTAL $1190

i was tempted to get that mb with a i3 for a stop gap upgrade from my q9450 then move it of to a media pc would look odd in the stacker with a 5970 :)

but then i realised the mb dosent have support for video out on i3 so thats a bit of a downer im guessing it will be a fair while till we get a good itx mb for i3

found this interesting sg05 mod

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/workl...x-case-mod.html

Corsair H50 in a sg05

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18053276

looks like it blocks a larger gpu where its mounted there but it may be possible to make it fit

or you can just mod it to fit a larger and quieter psu

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372339

Edited by Dasa