bj12y3

Why do most PS3 games only support up to 720p?

Index: What exactly do you think the Cell contributes to the graphics capabilities of the PS3?

As for...

"Do you play on a system that brings it all out now? and have nothing in the future in store for you? Cause thats what Microsoft are like, thats the Xbox for you. OR.

Do you play a system with so little that it continues to deliver from time to time giving you new features in the upcoming years with lots of waiting value for your system? That's Sony and Playstation."

$700 to play the waiting game?

A fool and his money...

You did just watch the tech video? *Sigh.

I rather play the waiting game, cause at least I know ill get it making my purchase last longer than the competitor :)

Are you a games developer index? Why on earth would you try and win your argument with something you can not possibly win?

The PS3 is hard to develop for, that is a fact. So was the PS2, but developers managed amazing things with that for its time.

The problem here being that Sony is living in the past. In the past ALL consoles had a degree of difficulty to program for that PC's didn't, then along came the Xbox running microsoft direct x and PC architecture. All of a sudden developers had an easy platform to develop for with a tonne of support that already existed.

Now Sony are sitting back helping first party developers while expecting third party developers to work it out themselves as they did with previous generations, but it isn't happening. Instead third party's are leading with their X360 version, and porting to PS3. Sony are shooting themselves in the foot. You also have more and more PC developers jumping into console and not having to learn a whole lot more to program for the X360, and looking at the PS3 as something overly complex they don't want to spend the time to learn properly. Combine this with companies like Electronic Arts who are trying to manipulate the market into having a single gaming platform to program for and release titles on, and Sony really have the odds stacked against them.

Sony need to pull their finger out of their arse and start bending over backwards to help newbie PS3 developers, offering large advertising for exclusives or timed exclusives like Microsoft, and just generally get their act in gear.

Index: What exactly do you think the Cell contributes to the graphics capabilities of the PS3?

As for...

"Do you play on a system that brings it all out now? and have nothing in the future in store for you? Cause thats what Microsoft are like, thats the Xbox for you. OR.

Do you play a system with so little that it continues to deliver from time to time giving you new features in the upcoming years with lots of waiting value for your system? That's Sony and Playstation."

$700 to play the waiting game?

A fool and his money...

You did just watch the tech video? *Sigh.

I rather play the waiting game, cause at least I know ill get it making my purchase last longer than the competitor :)

The utter fucken stupidity of this statement is amazing. There's a reason patience is a virtue.

I've seen the tech demos. Saw them when they came out. I'm asking YOU if you can tell us what you think the Cell is contributing.

You may have missed this:

Are you aware that Red Faction Guerilla, probably the closest thing in terms of real games to that first tech demo you've shown, runs better on the 360?

As for playing the waiting game, that makes no sense. Logically, paying $400 for the PS3 in a year or two, when infamous, Uncharted 2 and the various other big ticket games have finally come out, that's the smart policy. Paying $700 for a console that doesn't do any better than a half priced competitor, that's not rational. You can't even pretend that it is.

Because essentially, your logical position is like buying a car at full price when you're 14, because you know it'll be awesome to drive in 4 years when you're legally allowed to drive it.

Why not buy the car at the lower price you'd get it for 4 years later, when you can actually fucking enjoy it?

I know I buy consoles to play games on them, not to jerk off on.

Edited by The End

Are you a games developer index? Why on earth would you try and win your argument with something you can not possibly win?

The PS3 is hard to develop for, that is a fact. So was the PS2, but developers managed amazing things with that for its time.

The problem here being that Sony is living in the past. In the past ALL consoles had a degree of difficulty to program for that PC's didn't, then along came the Xbox running microsoft direct x and PC architecture. All of a sudden developers had an easy platform to develop for with a tonne of support that already existed.

Now Sony are sitting back helping first party developers while expecting third party developers to work it out themselves as they did with previous generations, but it isn't happening. Instead third party's are leading with their X360 version, and porting to PS3. Sony are shooting themselves in the foot. You also have more and more PC developers jumping into console and not having to learn a whole lot more to program for the X360, and looking at the PS3 as something overly complex they don't want to spend the time to learn properly. Combine this with companies like Electronic Arts who are trying to manipulate the market into having a single gaming platform to program for and release titles on, and Sony really have the odds stacked against them.

Sony need to pull their finger out of their arse and start bending over backwards to help newbie PS3 developers, offering large advertising for exclusives or timed exclusives like Microsoft, and just generally get their act in gear.

First thing you've posted that I'd agree wholeheartedly with.

I've seen the tech demos. Saw them when they came out. I'm asking YOU if you can tell us what you think the Cell is contributing.

You may have missed this:

Are you aware that Red Faction Guerilla, probably the closest thing in terms of real games to that first tech demo you've shown, runs better on the 360?

As for playing the waiting game, that makes no sense. Logically, paying $400 for the PS3 in a year or two, when infamous, Uncharted 2 and the various other big ticket games have finally come out, that's the smart policy. Paying $700 for a console that doesn't do any better than a half priced competitor, that's not rational. You can't even pretend that it is.

Because essentially, your logical position is like buying a car at full price when you're 14, because you know it'll be awesome to drive in 4 years when you're legally allowed to drive it.

Why not buy the car at the lower price you'd get it for 4 years later, when you can actually fucking enjoy it?

I know I buy consoles to play games on them, not to jerk off on.

Well pretty much what I seen in that video. *Sigh.

Um, so we are comparing cars with consoles now? Yeah real stupid but do you know whats more stupid? Playing on a console that has nothing to offer in the future. I'd rather play a few exclusives and wait for more to come out, that's longevity for you.

*Edit,

I am going to stop now, cause all i am doing is feeding trolls.

Edited by index680i

All you're doing is dodging the question:

1. So how does what you're showing in those videos contribute to games that is unavailable on any other platform, particularly in graphics? In plain English, I just want you to tell us all what you think the Cell can do that modern multicore processors aren't doing at the moment, and where we might witness this in an actual PS3 game.

2. Are you really that fucking stupid that you don't get analogies?

How can enjoying a console now, with lots of great games, be somehow stupider than paying twice as much for something that isn't as good? By your logic, when the PS3 comes down in price in a year or two, and all the new games are out, I'll be stupid for waiting to pay less?

Are you high?

Edited by The End

C'mon index, I didn't ask for what you can cram in 5 minutes of wiki-surfing. Don't bother with a cut+paste, just tell us what you know off the top of your head. Surely, with your conviction and dedication to the Sony cause, you've already done your homework?

The status bar at the bottom says that you're still online, reading the thread, so you're seeing this.

EDIT: 20 minutes later and nothing. The silence says it all.

Edited by The End

index, I have a PS3, I enjoy my PS3, I have no desire to buy an X360 in the near future as it doesn't offer anything I want in the way of exclusives.

However you are most definitely the biggest troll in this thread.

C'mon index, I didn't ask for what you can cram in 5 minutes of wiki-surfing. Don't bother with a cut+paste, just tell us what you know off the top of your head. Surely, with your conviction and dedication to the Sony cause, you've already done your homework?

The status bar at the bottom says that you're still online, reading the thread, so you're seeing this.

EDIT: 20 minutes later and nothing. The silence says it all.

Well, i do live a normal life you know, I can't be at my keyboard 24/7 like you End. :)

Ok from the top of my head to my knowledge in what I see on the Cell?

Ok lets begin, only brief as I am short of time.

Cell plays many roles with the RSX, one doing light, shadowing, calculations and loads of physics the RSX can not do. RSX would "Probably" be used to do all the textures, some animations and contribute the memory to the Cell processor to create realistic environments, enable players to play in "Real Time" Also the ability to add more to the game aka more effects on screen. And then the Cell + RSX together developers can create pretty brutal scenes and environments, take KillZone 2 for example and Uncharted, Resistance 1 & 2, Heavenly Sword, War Hawk and MSG4. Now there is a lot going on screen at the one time, or "Real Time" in that the cell succeeds and like I said RSX doing all the textures, having Cell being able to use its own memory to create more upped environments and effects is beyond what the Xbox360 is capable of doing.

Thats off the top of my head.

That's almost gibberish. I hope you realise that.

35 minutes to post this drivel? You're pulling our plonkers if that's 'off the top of your head'.

"Cell plays many roles with the RSX, one doing light, shadowing, calculations and loads of physics the RSX can not do. RSX would "Probably" be used to do all the textures, some animations and contribute the memory to the Cell processor to create realistic environments, enable players to play in "Real Time" Also the ability to add more to the game aka more effects on screen."

So the Cell does lighting and physics? The GPU does textures, animations and memory management? Both do 'effects' What fucking planet are you on?

" And then the Cell + RSX together developers can create pretty brutal scenes and environments, take KillZone 2 for example and Uncharted, Resistance 1 & 2, Heavenly Sword, War Hawk and MSG4. Now there is a lot going on screen at the one time, or "Real Time" in that the cell succeeds and like I said RSX doing all the textures, having Cell being able to use its own memory to create more upped environments and effects is beyond what the Xbox360 is capable of doing."

Like what? Give something specific.

Edited by The End

Check out the "Dragonball movie" thread in the Green Room.

Analogies fly by at 30,000 feet. Well above his head.

Well, i do live a normal life you know, I can't be at my keyboard 24/7 like you End. :)

What you live is hardly normal.

*ramble ramble BUZZWORD ramble EXCLUSIVE TITLE ramble ramble BETTER THAN 360*

You still haven't answered the question.

Check out the "Dragonball movie" thread in the Green Room.

Analogies fly by at 30,000 feet. Well above his head.

*ramble ramble BUZZWORD ramble EXCLUSIVE TITLE ramble ramble BETTER THAN 360*

You still haven't answered the question.

Hmm see what I mean.

When I answer something you act like children "Ahhhh blahhhhh.

Every time this happens, it proves my point.

Edited by index680i

I love it.

I'm a university trained professional home sick with the flu. He milks cows.

Apparently I'm the shut in.

Every time this happens, it proves my point.

You haven't proven a single point you've ever made. Prove this one about the Cell. Pretty please.

I'd love to know more about a software pipeline that does physics on one chip, offloads to another to do animation, back onto the other to lighting, back again to do texturing, and then both together to do 'effects'.

It's utterly revolutionary.

But you didn't answer anything, you just spewed a bunch of buzzwords. Incoherently.

What's your condition? ADD? ADHD? Autism? I'd like to understand.

He milks cows.

No, I do something far greater than you think :)

But you didn't answer anything, you just spewed a bunch of buzzwords. Incoherently.

Tiny bit below the belt. index does have Aspergers (IIRC).

I just want him to learn the difference between posting opinions and posting opinions dressed up in bullshit tech that he himself doesn't understand.

Edited by The End

No, I do something far greater than you think :)

You'd be amazed at how uninterested I am.

I just want him to learn the difference between posting opinions and posting opinions dressed up in bullshit tech that he himself doesn't understand.

Can't fault you for trying...

You're one patient mutha fugga.

-A-

The purpose wasn't to make fun... My mind is just perplexed how one can vomit words in this manner, and think they're making some kind of point. I just needed to know that there's some kind of uncontrolled mechanism pushing it; that the unbridled stream of buzzwords isn't something purposefully intended as valid argument.

Asperger's doesn't generally make one this inarticulate. Just read any post from myself, or Redhatter. That's why I wondered if it was anything more severe.

Unfortunately, if he hasn't learnt by now, it's a fairly lost cause.

Edited by SquallStrife

Well, Aspergers, like all Autistic Spectrum disorders, comes in differing 'levels'.

My fiancee's brother suffers from Aspergers. His fixations are on snowboarding, rollercoasters and aviation. He actually knows a helluva lot about those topics, too. I would have thought that with that kind of fixation, Index should know his shit when it comes to the PS3, but no.

Well, Aspergers, like all Autistic Spectrum disorders, comes in differing 'levels'.

My fiancee's brother suffers from Aspergers. His fixations are on snowboarding, rollercoasters and aviation. He actually knows a helluva lot about those topics, too.

As is typical of persons with the syndrome.

I would have thought that with that kind of fixation, Index should know his shit when it comes to the PS3, but no.

Which is what makes me think it's something different...

I think it's more the case that he's acquired alot of information, but lacking the background knowledge (and it is a pretty complicated area) to place it into context, he's not really making sense of it. Like with my future brother in law, he could tell me a lot about particular aircraft, but he wouldn't be able to explain the basic principles of flight.