Sign in to follow this  
zyklon

Locked the keys in the car...

well last night, i managed to lock the keys in the ute,

any tips on getting them out before monday?

ive seen it done a couple of times, but i think i need a long steel ruler or something of the sort.

- and what exactly am i looking to hook with it inside the door?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

1) If registered with NRMA call them first.. They've had practice and you can do some nasty damage by yanking things around inside your door.

2) If you must, then the point to aim for depends on whether a lift up (the button in top of frame) or slide (near door handle rocks front/back).

For lift up, the place to aim for is directly below the button and about 6 - 7" down You'll know when you get it as you'll see the button jiggle. Lift.

For slide, it's also a lifting action but it's a few inches toward the back of the door from the lock. Again, you'll know when you get it as you'll see the lock jiggle. Again lift.

3) If you have a liftup style button you can also use 'packaging strap'. The stuff they use to bind boxes. Shove in through side of door jam and try and snare the button. Then lift.

----------------------

If not certain or not comfortable, call NRMA and pay the callout. It's cheaper than replacing the locking mechanism.

AD

even if you are not currently a NRMA member it is worth paying the one-off fee.

You could call the dealer (if it is a new car), anyone got a spare key?

If all else fails, a house brick can achieve almost 100% success

If it's not the old fashioned lift type button then you're in for some fun and games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_(lock_pick)

Of course, the risk with a Slim Jim is that it can get stuck somewhere. Also, decent secure designs will have bracketry in place to make the job harder.

But, by design, no car door will be 100% secure.

If it's the old fashioned type, then as AD said, it's a piece of piss sub-20 second job with the good ol' blue packaging strap.

Or you could try using a rubber doorstop, a hammer and a coathanger to unlock it yourself. Just hit the doorstop into the top corner of the door to pry it open a little bit and then use the coathanger to pop the boot open or unlock a door.

Easy.

if you have a car that has one of those lift-up locks at the top of the door, the process is simple, saw an RAA man do it once.

you will need:

1 block of wood, medium-soft and triangular

1 device you can use to pry the door open enough to chock the wood in

1 coathanger

pry the door a few mm open, chock the wood in, then use the coathanger to pull the knob.

if your car does not use one of these, then fiddling down the side of the door with a ruler wont help you. if it has an up-down mechanism, it has one of those pop-up thingys.

all other types of lock use variations on a rotary device which makes it nigh on impossible to open the thing.

i do have one other recommendations. car keys are fairly similar within the same make and model.

find someone with the same car make and model, as close to the year as possible, and have them try their key.

also, may i now take this opportunity to recommend that you get a spare key cut and put it in a well hidden but easy to remember location outside the house, so that next time this happens, you wont have to resort to probing your car with pieces of thin metal?

Guest MrInsaneBuff

just start the car and wind down the windows

Hpw does one start the car when the keys are locked inside it and one is locked outside of it?

Hpw does one start the car when the keys are locked inside it and one is locked outside of it?

/McBain voice

that was the joke

Guest MrInsaneBuff

/McBain voice

that was the joke

Ahh, i thought you might have thought this was one of those cars that start automatically when the keyfob is within a certian distance.

I always keep a spare key in my wallet. Might not be practical with the new key fobs though.

Edited by smadge1

Hi guys, took me ages to get back online,

fortunately my G/F came to the rescue with spare keys in the end.

man you'd think all NZ'ers were born with the inherant ability to break into shit.

must have missed that gene.

oh well, thanks for all your help.

FIY the car was a hilux so the breakin would have been realitively simple from what i gather, might give it some practise anyway, probly a skill worth having.

Hi guys, took me ages to get back online,

fortunately my G/F came to the rescue with spare keys in the end.

man you'd think all NZ'ers were born with the inherant ability to break into shit.

must have missed that gene.

oh well, thanks for all your help.

FIY the car was a hilux so the breakin would have been realitively simple from what i gather, might give it some practise anyway, probly a skill worth having.

It's amazing how quick you can get at it with a bit of practice.