Charcoal

And What Are You Listening To?

i bring you the difference between goodness and GREATNESS.

in the form of two performances of the famous guitar piece Asturias. you definitely know it, if not by name.

my suggestion:

- play only the 1st minute of the talented Ana Vidovic

- then listen to the grey haired old guy

allowing for all other variables -- the difference is all about interpretation and feel.

i mean, i could stumble upon the first one on the radio and enjoy it without criticism, but the second, its like i am experiencing the mind of the composer to point of being alive in the very moment of whatever moved him to write the damned notes.

I followed your instructions and agree with your synopsis that men are better than women, especially when it comes to playing guitar :P

I joke, I kid.

But that bloke, it sounds like he has an additional set of fingers on each hand. The increase in tempo really sets him apart from other renditions of the same tune.

And yeah, as Walt mentions, flamenco baby, love it.

Edited by twinair

I spot a sepultura avatar! Noice

Idk how to link youtube vids properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgn9QU60jcA

Yeha, I have had that avatar for many years :) Excellent band. Well, they were, before the Cavalera brothers departed.

Anyway, you can embed YT videos like this:

Paste the link between tags [ you tube ] [ / you tube ] but remove all the spaces, if you catch my drift.

Or, quote/reply to my post and you will see the formatting.

I am currently listening to some tunes from my own music collection. A couple of years or so back I discovered this very, very cool music sharing service called Subsonic

It enables me to access my music collection at home, from anywhere. Via a browser on my laptop, or even via a mobile app on my phone.

It's very bloody cool!

Basically sets up a PC as a web server, then I enable the correct access via my firewall. I password protect the website and voila!

It's very customisable. The interface is bloody brilliant. I highly recommend it!

Here's a screenshot...

nx1dfo.png

Pity the recording quality isn't so great...

This piano one's almost as good...

You only yolo once...

Wish they'd hurry up and release a proper live DVD, they're always touring (everywhere except Australia, of course).

http://26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/Sound-Files/RebelYell_s.wav

The rebel yell was a battle cry used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War. Confederate soldiers used the yell during charges to intimidate the enemy and boost their own morale, although the yell had many other uses. No audio recordings of the yell exist from the Civil War era, but there are audio clips and film footage of veterans performing the yell many years later at Civil War veteran's reunions.[1] The origin of the yell is uncertain, though it is thought to have been influenced either by Native American war cries or a Scottish war cry tradition.

No wonder they lost the war!

rebel yell

I don't see how anyone was supposed to be intimidated by folks yelling "More! More! More!" ;p

This is pretty amazing...

From http://www.noise11.com/news/martika-explains-how-prince-crafted-love-thy-will-be-done-20120626

It is a hymn. It is very spiritual and beautiful, Martika tells Noise11.com.

This is her story of how the song was created. I wanted to work with him and had a message sent through to his camp. He responded favourably so I flew to Paisley Park and we sat and talked.

For the trip she took along her lyric book. I had a notebook with a lot of lyrics, she said. Love Thy Will Be Done was a prayer that I had written in my notebook. I showed him some of my stuff and he said would you mind if I borrow your book for a few hours. I said cool, no problems. He asked if he could photocopy a few things that he liked and I had no problem with that. I had no idea what the process for collaborating on music with him would be because it is always different with everybody. For him, he said I have photocopied a few things. Why dont you just let me live with this for a bit and well go from there. So I flew home to L.A.

About a week later, Prince made contact again. A fax came through with a song with a bunch of my lyrics with some of his lyrics. The next day I received a cassette. (Now we are really dating ourselves). There were several songs, basic tracks with just drums, bass and some changes with background vocals. Thats how I first heard it. My prayer was turned into Love Thy Will Be Done and from there he sent me the master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auE28E0t07k

Roger Hodgson of Supertramp.

The music is just as fresh now as it was 40 years ago. His channel is worth a look through...

• Like 1

Roger Hodgson of Supertramp.

The music is just as fresh now as it was 40 years ago. His channel is worth a look through..

Have you checked out his first solo effort? It was quite good, the second one OK, but not as good as the first.