Charcoal

And What Are You Listening To?

that's not a guitar solo; THIS is a guitar solo

They've still got it (3 years ago at least) - one of the greatest bands of the 80s...

you need to see the introduction above, to really "get" what's happening here

then

and then : the mother of all funk chords 

Kutiman main site on youtube (he's also on Spotify)

this is simply (in a very technically complex and brilliant way) fantastic 🙂

• Like 2

Just listened to Eye of the Tiger for the first time in decades.

Seriously how is Survivor a one hit wonder?  They should have been able to come up with more of that.

There's plenty of one-hit wonders from the mid 70s through mid 80s - and probably any other era you choose.

Add to the list Video Killed the Radio Star, My Sharona and numerous others.
And plenty of groups that had a hit or two followed by plenty of duds that just rode that early wave of success, e.g. Devo, Adam and the Ants.

i had no idea who Ronnie James Dio when he died, despite being a fan of various 80s/90s metal and earlier stuff like pre-Dio Black Sabbath

kind of funny then to find out its Dio singing on this track which i loved as a very young kid.  the ABC used it for years as a kind of space filler between programs i guess.

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

i had no idea who Ronnie James Dio when he died, despite being a fan of various 80s/90s metal and earlier stuff like pre-Dio Black Sabbath

I feel a great need to say "You're shitting me!?", but I know you're not.  You should check out his discography when you have a long weekend to spare.  Personal favourites: Jimmy Blackmore's Rainbow and Rainbow Rising (close sequel); and "Dehumanizer" - Black Sabbath, 1992.  But imho there's a lot more highs than lows in that man's career.

Notable, to me anyway, is that he tended to have a lot of the same people with him through the years no matter which band name he was playing under.  Not constantly, but recurringly.

Posted (edited)

i think a lot depends on what "everyone" is listening to as youre growing up.   maybe you know who Roger Glover is, for instance.  but i couldnt tell you the name of the lead singer of Deep Purple, even though i am sure in a certain age group "everyone" knows that.  in the 80s i knew of Ozzy, coz...he is Ozzy, but i thought he was from a band that had faded into obscurity in the 70s lol.  its weird who you do and dont know sometimes.  at the time i knew who Lemmy was ffs without ever hearing any Motorhead.  and he was much less of a big deal than Dio, probably in renown, and most certainly in vocal talent!

Edited by @~thehung

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, zaskar said:

The Sound of Silence - Disturbed

I see the forum software still doesn't like YT's URL shortener.  (Edit: Apparently, you can bork the normal version recognition too - had to repaste the original)

That's awesome, btw.  I also love their cover of Land of Confusion.

Edited by Cybes

On 8/16/2018 at 5:02 PM, @~thehung said:

kind of funny then to find out its Dio singing on this track which i loved as a very young kid.  the ABC used it for years as a kind of space filler between programs i guess.

OMG THAT was Dio?  I remember this!!!

And I only learned of Dio recently as well - even though I was also something of a metal head.  Weird.

He was apparently a very accomplished musician in any genre he chose - he just happened to choose metal and hard rock and related areas.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:28 PM, Rybags said:

There's plenty of one-hit wonders from the mid 70s through mid 80s - and probably any other era you choose.

Add to the list Video Killed the Radio Star, My Sharona and numerous others.
And plenty of groups that had a hit or two followed by plenty of duds that just rode that early wave of success, e.g. Devo, Adam and the Ants.

True enough I suppose.  I guess some people just have average ability and dumb luck puts together an exceptional result for them from time to time.

Nice cover of what's probably the best soundtrack in the game...

the whole album is pretty amazing, especially if you remember art of noise from the early 80's