Charcoal

And What Are You Listening To?

On 8/16/2018 at 4:28 PM, Rybags said:

There's plenty of one-hit wonders from the mid 70s through mid 80s - and probably any other era you choose.

Add to the list Video Killed the Radio Star, My Sharona and numerous others.
And plenty of groups that had a hit or two followed by plenty of duds that just rode that early wave of success, e.g. Devo, Adam and the Ants.

late reply to this, because if you listen to anne dudley's album linked above, the last track is "video killed the radio star", a track that she composed, amongst a host of other really famous things, including the piano and synth on the excellent track "world famous" on malclm mclaren's great album "duck rock" (the one with "buffalo girls" and "soweto")

check out her beautiful version of the buggles hit single

she's also won an academy award for her score for "the full monty" - prodigious talent

Edited by scruffy1

loving this track which samples Tanya Tagaq's weird ass brand of Inuit throat singing

NB: if theres a chance you will watch this movie, look away! 

At first I was a tad disconcerted with using the base cello like that ^^ ... but I got over it

Lonely Ave with music by Ben folds and words by Nick Hornby. Good and solid musically with some great interesting stories and characters. 

On 08/12/2018 at 1:42 AM, zaskar said:

d'ya reckon the guy 2nd from left is the high maintenance delivery dude ?

This really got under my skin:

Great show, BTW

Ooh! Ooh! 

?

It's a total #metoo era track... I like how one commenter said she sounds like Lilly Allen, and another replied, 'but good'

11 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

That's one of my favourite albums. The best thing they did with that track is get Chris Martin off it. 

live recordings...they can be underwhelming.  i'm sure we can all name some we treasure despite their sound quality, because they capture an atmosphere and a slice of time.  and then theres the ones that actually sound great.

ive been catching some of the repeats of RocKwiz lately...

the band is always on point, and theres obviously some alchemy at work in the Espy, because over the years theyve churned out a lot of recordings that are just about release worthy as is.

i present to you the phenomenal Karen Lee Andrews (a.k.a Ms Murphy) covering a song by Little Dragon and absolutely killing it.  and for comparison, a very nice studio version with too much grit and dynamics and life sucked out of it

• Like 1