spooner

Windows 7

as long as you have the key, there shouldent realy be an issue /where/ you get the install media from. Maybe here someone will be nice enough to burn you and me a copy of the latest beta. Darklife, i seem to be running the first beta. Though thought it was the latest. (must have stuffed up in the DL section)

have been playing the Witcher in W7 and runs sweet, no dramas no hassles... :)

so far so good :)

Superfetch is one of the 1st things I disabled on Vista

Explain to me what Superfetch is, then explain why, in your own words, you think disabling it is a good idea.

For fuck's sake, don't say "because disabling it frees up RAM", because that's a ridiculous contradiction.

as long as you have the key, there shouldent realy be an issue /where/ you get the install media from. Maybe here someone will be nice enough to burn you and me a copy of the latest beta. Darklife, i seem to be running the first beta. Though thought it was the latest. (must have stuffed up in the DL section)

have been playing the Witcher in W7 and runs sweet, no dramas no hassles... :)

so far so good :)

It's definitely a huge improvement over Vista. :-)

Once it goes OFFICAL RC1, will downloads become available to the public again? I dont feel right getting my OS from my good mate torrence, who knows who might have rebuilt the ISO with nasties.

I signed up for a key, and have that, but the MS website says public downloads are over.

Coming back with RC1?

Rumour has it that RC1 will be available to the public. But, as everything with Redmond goes, we won't know for sure until its released.

Superfetch is one of the 1st things I disabled on Vista

Explain to me what Superfetch is, then explain why, in your own words, you think disabling it is a good idea.

For fuck's sake, don't say "because disabling it frees up RAM", because that's a ridiculous contradiction.

Superfetch takes statistics of what programs you use, and in conjuction with ReadyBoost (if you use it, I don't), analyzes the data, and then loads portions of your "most used" programs into the physical memory. That portion of memory is no longer readily available for other programs.

Now if you only use a few programs frequently, that's a good thing and will speed up your system significantly by helping to start these programs faster.

However, if you run many different memory intensive programs often, and also have a memory dependent program running (EG: F@H, games), it can have an adverse effect and actually slow the system and/or cause applications and/or Vista to crash. These problems are listed on Google if you care to check the facts (search for "superfetch causes crashes"). Many gamers have experienced problems with Superfetch and been forced to disable it.

I run 4GB of DDR2-1066. My own experience with Vista crashes could fill a couple of pages. I have heaps of programs that I use often, and a few games that I play occasionally. My Vista 64 and XP Pro 32 partitions are 90GB each, with roughly 65GB used, from only the OS and installed programs (data is on another partition). I've experienced countless errors on both F@H and games with Superfetch enabled on Vista 64 bit. On more than 1 occasion, improper writing to hard drives because of memory errors actually broke the OS (no longer bootable). The recovery tools on the Vista DVD are worthless in this situation, as the only fix is to format and start over. Luckily I backup with an image (via Acronis True Image 2009) and the restore is simple, although time consuming. Disabling Superfetch cured all of these problems for me. Nothing on the OS changed, since it's an image. The hardware was fine also. No way you can point the finger at anything other than Superfetch as the cause of these problems.

From a Tom's Hardware review:

"SuperFetch analyzes your behavior and proactively puts applications into available main memory, so they can be launched quicker."

Proactive, means ahead of time, before it's actually needed. Loading is one thing, running is something else completely. So don't kid yourself that disabling Superfetch doesn't free up memory. It causes some serious problems in the right circumstances.

As most experts on the subject say: Each system and usage is different. Test your own configuration to know for sure if Superfetch helps or hurts yours.

I'd add: Don't generally advise others that your way is the best way as their configuration and usage will be different to yours. I'm not saying my way is best for anyone else, but it is definitely the best for my configuration and usage.

:)

So don't kid yourself that disabling Superfetch doesn't free up memory.

That's not what I said. Disabling Superfetch for the sole purpose of freeing RAM is shooting yourself in the foot.

The whole point is to use your system's RAM for something other than a feelgood number in task manager.

I know how Superfetch works. Probably better than you do. What I wanted was for you to show that you actually understand what it's there for, and justify your stance of "free RAM = good" which has probably served you well in XP and its ancestors. If it works for you, that's fine, you do what you have to, right? But you shouldn't run around saying stuff like this...

not use all the resources of the system to do worthless things so that other apps have to struggle to operate.

...when it's pretty clear you don't really understand how operating systems work beneath the superficial statistics you're probably familiar with. Superfetch does indeed load parts of "frequently used" applications into physical RAM, but it's also designed to release it on demand to meet the memory requirements of running processes.

As I said, whatever works for you, but you should really do more to separate your own requirements from "worthless things" without deeper knowledge of the respective systems.

I'm on Win 7 x86, 7077.

My gripes!

The progress bar, while seeing it work in the taskbar is nice, it doesn't always work! A lot of times i do a file copy it's just like "Copying" and has no clue when it'll finish.

Cut and pasting folders doesn't always work smoothly either, it often leaves behind a lot of source folders, annoying!

It keeps spinning down my hard drives, and I have to wait for them to spin up again to get at my stuff. Whether this is an inbuilt feature or just a default option I'll have to find out.

I actually miss WinXP style quicklaunch.

Nice things

As with vista, its nice to install an OS and not have to worry about installing network, sound, graphics etc right away.

UI is nice by default, wonder what skins we might see in the future?

As with Vista, I like having big icons :]

Don't feel anything else functionally better than XP though. My computer feels the same as before but with big icons and shiny interface. =/

Don't feel anything else functionally better than XP though. My computer feels the same as before but with big icons and shiny interface. =/

Most of it is under the hood. :)

Oh, and much <3 to MS for doing this.

Now there's little excuse not to upgrade!

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Everything works fine except my X-Fi...

Creative card?

Yeah, Creative.

Music sounds fine when it's set to 5.1, but music through the headphones just sounds like shit, when it was fine on XP... Just everything in CoD4 has this light echo on it, and it sounds like 5.1 trying to come through two speakers (headphones), sounds are distant, can't tell the proper direction of things, explosions and shooting have no, or very little bass.

Kinda hard to explain, but it sucks.

I'm using the 64bit driver for Windows 7 from the Creative site, and the Vista64 console launcher with the volume panel off the disc that came with the card... it's the only way I could get it all installed and functioning correctly (I googled for an answer and that's what I was led to).

Didnt vista drop support for creative cards?

anywho.

May 4th is meant to be RC1 day, so ihave my keys sitting here, waiting....

EDIT: and technet has it available on the 30th april (2 days...) hopefully someone shares it, or burns me a disk on that day :D

Edited by Master_Scythe

Didnt vista drop support for creative cards?

No....other way around. Creative dropped support for their older (read: Non X-Fi) cards in Vista.

Until they banned a particular user and deleted his posts.

And there was an exodus, then working, non-crippled drivers suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

Fucking Creative.

that would be the creator of the kxProject yes?

I use his drivers on my Win2k system to give my SB LIVE's ASIO support (and they go down to 4ms too!)

that would be the creator of the kxProject yes?

I use his drivers on my Win2k system to give my SB LIVE's ASIO support (and they go down to 4ms too!)

yeh, I used to use them with my SB Audigy (the first one). clever man! he sure rattled 'em up at Creative!

Creative card?

My X-Fi works brilliantly with 7068. Will install 7100 on the weekend.

should mention is the 32 bit version of the OS.

Yeah that was pants creamingly good news for us corporate users when I read that a few days ago :) Top stuff

Edited by kikz

Creative card?

My X-Fi works brilliantly with 7068. Will install 7100 on the weekend.

should mention is the 32 bit version of the OS.

Yeah, mine was 64bit, eventually with a lot of stuffing around I got music to sound alright, but the game still sounded like it was trying to send 5.1 through to my headphones, even though it was set to stereo in Windows, and Headphones in my X-Fi drivers.

I ditched 7 the other day anyway, because Evenbalance are refusing to support Windows 7 for PunkBuster until 7 is released for purchase, so I keep getting kicked in CoD4 for an API error or something.

I really do hope that works. I've already started running into a few apps and games that won't work in Win7 regardless of how I fiddle with compatability modes.

x64 7077

only issue i have is that adobe pdf shits itself with browser integration (disabling integration in FF and in adobe fixes it).

How do you get to that screen which shows the expiry date?

and microsoft have done a GREAT job with win7, i really like it.

yu're using adobe to view PDF's?

switch to Foxit Reader

+1

vast improvement - tiny footprint, better performance, far more options (I haven't done it, but, it can create/convert to PDF files too) and best of all.......:

it's absolutely free!!!

yay!

I get the feeling the vast load speed improvement from older versions to Adobe Reader 9.x is due in part to the speed and simplicity of Foxit. Just a guess though.

With the public release of RC1 on the 5th I'll be upgrading my aforementioned PC & NB. The one small gripe I've had with build 7000 is on the old P4 w/ i845G any video either from the likes of youtube or from an AVI or a DVD will cause the computer to completely freeze. Hopefully RC1 will amend that.

Yep, got the email today: Windows 7 RC is COMING and damn technet already has it *grumble*.

Either way.... COME ONNNNNNN

I installed the RC1 on my Eee PC.

LOVE IT!

I have the 1000HE

dual core Intel Atom 1.6ghz

2gb 667mhz

160GB HDD

It runs like a dream :) when idle it uses about 570mb of ram and i get a tad over 7 hours battery life :)