spooner

Windows 7

Am on x64, not sure what build.

Thought I posted in here already.. strange..

I love all the features on the boot disc <3

CS4 works great, everything works great except for AutoPano Giga 2 Beta, but it's beta.

StarCraft and AoE II: AoC work great.

I installed the RC1 on my Eee PC.

LOVE IT!

I have the 1000HE

dual core Intel Atom 1.6ghz

2gb 667mhz

160GB HDD

It runs like a dream :) when idle it uses about 570mb of ram and i get a tad over 7 hours battery life :)

cool i have the 900HA (8.9") with the 160GB drive

but only with 1GB of ram. do you think it will still be worth trying it on there?

Hmm I need to get RC1... maybe AutoPano Giga will work (tried the full release - it crashes too).

To be honest, I haven't used the beta once since I created a second partition and installed it. I've just got sooo used to xp that I find the change un-neccessary to say the least, besides there arent any wireless networking drivers for my card and my computer is too far away to reach with an ethernet cable.

Windows 7 may be good, it may be great, well have to wait a little longer though.

Hmm I need to get RC1... maybe AutoPano Giga will work (tried the full release - it crashes too).

It doesn't work? Hmph, I was about to give that one a go, actually.

I was surprised how smoothly the EOS Utility and RAW converter installed and worked.

I would be excited if a browser other than firefox would work.

Firefox sucks at resuming downloads. Opera and IE wont 'work' with the site.

Anyone in Brisbane got the x64 RC downloaded? I only have 5gb a month bandwith too...

d/l the RC now, i'll format my computer and install when i get home

just FYI, i have been using beta 7000 as my main pc for quite a few months now and it runs pretty much perfect couldn't complain about W7! can't wait till its released, i'll probably buy it day 1.

Well, Installed the RC 7100

Not bad, so far, but there was a major bug on my system in the beta that still exists.

I have an DVICO DualDigital HD tuner card. In windows 7, the tuners show up in the recording audio devices list. If I try to access the recording devices in the audio devices control panel, the machine hard locks up. I have to reset.

I can access the recording devices safely if I first disable the tuner card (shows up as two seperate devices, I disable both) in the device manager

Edited by NagChampa

Well, just fucking great.

While trying to fix the problem, after having installed the FusionHDTV software for it, which included an updated driver, it was no longer hard locking the computer, just slowing it down immensly. I thought I was getting somewhere.

I uninstalled the software, leaving the driver installed, tried again, and another lockup.

I reinstalled the software, no biggy, it does include another decoder that works quite well. Also, I thought that perhaps when windows tries to access the audio source it was waiting for the card to send audio data while it wasn't tuned to anything. So I thought I'd try accessing the recording devices while watching tv. I was only able ot detect 7 and 9 with the FusionHDTV software, and it wasn't able to actually display them. I thought, I didn't have any problem tuning in Media Center in the beta, I'll try that.

Started the setup process, got to the tuning stage, and the computer hard locked up.

Decided it was time for a re-install, but after installation, and windows update installing the drivers for the tuner, one of the tuners (the primary one) wasn't able to start.

I uninstalled the device, rebooted, it reinstalled the driver, but the tuner wasn't able ot start.

I tried booting into XP and loe and behold the tuner won't start.

Windows 7 RC it seems has fucked my tuner card

Well Done Microsoft

Report the issue to Microsoft. I don't see how software would have damaged the card, unless it was changing voltages (which I highly doubt). Sounds like a dodgy card and/or drivers to me.

Just found out about this Win7RC release 10 minutes ago ... OSNews story commented on at that link ...says "(this) will close the gap with Linux." WTF is that supposed to mean? Is this really the first time that Windows has ever released a post-beta OS for a temporary full usage for no charge? And does that in any way "close the gap" with an open-licensed PC kernel and userland?

Understanding I expect to find few if any GNU users in this forum, Win7RC is a bit too OT for the open source forum at this site ... so here it is for your enjoyment; can somebody please straighten me out about what this thing means to the general public licensed (GPL) community?

BTW, the comments on that link are about 50:50 complete idiots ... introduce any one of those guys to the Free and Open Source forum here and they'd start a disastrous symantecs debate the likes of which would bring down the entire world's network infrastructure. Seriously. :-D

He was refering to the drivers, not the cost. Linux (in my experience) tends to be usable straight off the bat, without the need to search for drivers. Windows 7 is very much the same. Of course, you'd still want to install the latest drivers to ensure that you're getting all the features/performance that the generic drivers don't include.

Report the issue to Microsoft. I don't see how software would have damaged the card, unless it was changing voltages (which I highly doubt). Sounds like a dodgy card and/or drivers to me.

Yup yup.

NagChampa: Did you do fresh installs both times?

Just found out about this Win7RC release 10 minutes ago ... OSNews story commented on at that link ...says "(this) will close the gap with Linux." WTF is that supposed to mean? Is this really the first time that Windows has ever released a post-beta OS for a temporary full usage for no charge? And does that in any way "close the gap" with an open-licensed PC kernel and userland?

Understanding I expect to find few if any GNU users in this forum, Win7RC is a bit too OT for the open source forum at this site ... so here it is for your enjoyment; can somebody please straighten me out about what this thing means to the general public licensed (GPL) community?

BTW, the comments on that link are about 50:50 complete idiots ... introduce any one of those guys to the Free and Open Source forum here and they'd start a disastrous symantecs debate the likes of which would bring down the entire world's network infrastructure. Seriously. :-D

Huh? It means absolutely nothing for GPL users. Why would it?

Closing the gap either means users will prefer it to Linux, and those who were considering changing won't, or as .:Cyb3rGlitch:. pointed out, driver support is above par.

Yup, fresh install both times.

It seemed the thing to fix the card was to power down completely. The device seems to start properly now.

I'm thinking the firmware loading part of the driver initialisation got screwy and the power down allowed the device to reset properly

Still, there's another problem in the RC that wasn't there in the beta. At the boot up screen (the one with the pulsing windows orb) just before it brings up the full res starting windows screen, there is some junk random coloured pixels appearing at the top of the screen. Maybe related to the graphics card drivers, but on the first install I tried the most recent catalyst drivers (only vista ones available for the 9600) and it wouldn't install the driver.

It seemed the thing to fix the card was to power down completely. The device seems to start properly now.

Powering down fixes usually indicate a hardware problem, not a software problem. Usually it's a motherboard on it's way out sending stray voltage, or the device itself failing.

I have no random coloured pixels during boot.

I'm running the 64 bit version of RC1.

RC1 seems to have solved the issue with logging onto '03 SBS. No problems this time using the network configuration. So far no problems at all, but I've only had it installed for a day. I'm really liking this OS, but still finding the opening multiple browsers (right click IE or FF and open another instance) and returning to desktop (right click on task bar) hard to get used to.

After installing Outlook, I ran windows update and got 9 updates. 7 were for Outlook, and 2 were for IE8. Not a single update or driver for my hardware. MS can obviously do it when they put their minds to it. Too bad they chose to point fingers at hardware manufacturers and rush Vista to market rather than do their homework. RC1 also starts as fast as XP on my system, and slightly faster than Vista. It shuts down faster than both of the others, but I expect that will slow down when I get more programs installed. :)

Edited by darklife41

Well, Installed the RC 7100

Not bad, so far, but there was a major bug on my system in the beta that still exists.

I have an DVICO DualDigital HD tuner card. In windows 7, the tuners show up in the recording audio devices list. If I try to access the recording devices in the audio devices control panel, the machine hard locks up. I have to reset.

I can access the recording devices safely if I first disable the tuner card (shows up as two seperate devices, I disable both) in the device manager

In defense of Microsoft, I find DVICO have trouble writing stable drivers anyway.

I had nothing but trouble with my DVICO TV card - one of those Dual Digital 4 - I ended up sacking it and am happily using a Winfast DVT 1000 S now.

fuck DVICO, their shonky software, and equally shaky hardware!

that said, Windows RC x64 (7100) is pretty shit hot - I'm really impressed with it....unlike Vista, most things work, and it seems nice and fast....a fitting successor to XP

let us never speak of Vista again.

:|

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

Ok im officially pissed off.

The stupid java download manager doesnt work for me, it just goes to load then crashes the browser.

So i thought fuck this and then sourced the url link to the ISO and started downloading it under getright down loader.

But 3 times it hits 2.35gb (2,530,975,744 b) then restarts downloading again.

At first I figured it was just a glitch where the numbers start up again but the actual download continues from where it was..

Now im not so sure.

As far as I know its only 5gb.. well its done 2350mb x2 then another 1200mb.. so its over that and still not done..

Do download managers not work?

if Ive wasted my bandwidth for nothing im going to have to wait till the 22nd or so to attempt again.

Godam that shits me.

Any torrent sites got it yet?

Cause microsofts download setup is ridiculous.

It's not a Java downloader, it's an ActiveX downloader.

Use Internet Explorer to download it.