spooner

Windows 7

It's not a Java downloader, it's an ActiveX downloader.

Use Internet Explorer to download it.

Yeah... firefox under linux just kinda went... what? ...and offered me the direct link. I let firefox manage the download (v3 has this) and resumed it a couple of times before letting it run in the wee hours of the morning.

x86 is 2.4GB, x64 is 3.2GB, if I recall correctly, and download managers also work. If only Microsoft were supporting download via Torrent!

It's a 3GB ISO.

The MS download manager worked fine for me, and I paused it a few times.

3gb o.0

OH FUCK!

Getright has been fucking me over. repeating in a loop.

it chewed 8 fucking gb.

RAGE RAGE RAGE!! ARRRG!

now I have to wait 16 days. :S

On my netbook (EeePC 1000H) is a different story.

Running like a charm (so far).

The only quirks are that I had to install an ACPI driver that was found by the community, to enable the hotkeys to work properly. I also installed the most recent Vista driver for the graphics (downloaded from Intel) which is an older version than the one that was installed with it, but included the all important igfxext.exe and igfxsrvc.exe which the Asus stuff uses to talk to the video driver. Also, I seem to get a better Windows Experience Index score with the older driver than the one that comes installed (2.1 instead of 2.0, the aspect being Graphics (Desktop performance for Windows Aero). Also, after having installed the vista drivers, I tried updating through windows update to the newer drivers (which made by intel should work with the igfx utilities). They did, but they seemed to crash (and recover straight away) every time the screen was woken up. This would just be a flicker, and a warning the graphics card had crashed. Hopefully Intel will release a proper installer for the new drivers soon, with the igfx stuff included. Still, no lockups, stable in that it stays running with no issues, no strange quirks or odd errors that aren't clearly related to a beta graphics driver issue.

Compare that to my desktop:

No drivers installed for network card, either sound card, and tuner card.

After installing the XP driver for the network (with no complaints) windows update was able to install all the other devices (and an updated network card driver)

Graphics corruption on the boot screen

Problems with tuner card

The issue with recording devices

Without the tuner card, the only issue would be the graphics corruption, which I'm hoping will get sorted out when ATI release the windows 7 catalyst drivers for all their chipsets later this month (the current one only supports a few chipsets).

Another problem I noticed is that I think Windows is detecting the tuner card as a webcam for some reason.

Edited by NagChampa

It's not a Java downloader, it's an ActiveX downloader.

Use Internet Explorer to download it.

Yeah... firefox under linux just kinda went... what? ...and offered me the direct link. I let firefox manage the download (v3 has this) and resumed it a couple of times before letting it run in the wee hours of the morning.

x86 is 2.4GB, x64 is 3.2GB, if I recall correctly, and download managers also work. If only Microsoft were supporting download via Torrent!

Yea, I found Firefox's downloader to be fairly unreliable on files >2GB. Opera's hasn't been much better.

I'd grab the URL and use wget.

I used the IE8 downloader, no interruptions ... must have been lucky to get it in 1 hour.

Yes, the Firefox downloader can be flakey for huge files.

Edited by Jeruselem

Hmm...

How impressive are the default-install video drivers, in terms of gaming and such?

If this and a few other quick google searches are any indication, there isn't much (if any) support planned for my not-all-that-old (I'd like to believe, anyway) X1950 video card : \

I mean, I had been looking to upgrade anyway, but it's always nicer to not do so at sword-point <.>

Hmm...

How impressive are the default-install video drivers, in terms of gaming and such?

If this and a few other quick google searches are any indication, there isn't much (if any) support planned for my not-all-that-old (I'd like to believe, anyway) X1950 video card : \

I mean, I had been looking to upgrade anyway, but it's always nicer to not do so at sword-point <.<

I've managed to get Vista drivers to work with windows 7 for an ATI 9250 Pro.

I downloaded the RC via bittorrent and installed it on my old PC (Athlon 2400, 1GB RAM, FX5900).

I have to say I'm quite impressed with how smooth the install of Windows 7 was. Within minutes of first boot, Windows Update had downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my mobo and gfx card. Performance is also pretty decent.

I checked out the RC. As a Vista owner for more than a year, to me its not easy to see much thats changed. The UAC adjustment is awesome and I hope that it gets back ported to Vista in a service pack, but other than that its just Vista with a new lick of paint. Not that thats a bad thing, just annoying to hear so many say that Win7 is awesome and Vista is shit, when the real difference between Win7 and Vista SP1 is so tiny.

I reckon its really Vista SP2 with a name change to get away from Vista's bad rep.

Well it isn't Vista SP2, seeing as though you can now get Vista SP2! (Maybe Vista SP3 :P)

It is a far greater extension of Vista, although obviously based on the same kernel. Personally, I don't really have any issues with Vista, I think it improved greatly with SP1 (and now SP2), but there's a spit, polish and shine about Windows 7 that just, to me, seems snappier and more user friendly.

That said, I'm having frequent ATI display driver crashes with 7RC that I never had with Vista - hoping the 9.5's solve my problem!

I got Windows 7 to BSOD today. :P

I tried running two virtual machines simultaneously on my laptop, and it didn't like it. One was Ubuntu 9.04 in VirtualBox, and the other was XP SP3 in Virtual PC. I have a feeling it was a hardware issue though, I don't think the CPU is capable of having two VMs at once.

That said, I'm having frequent ATI display driver crashes with 7RC that I never had with Vista - hoping the 9.5's solve my problem!

er, try the 9.2 Cats

;)

Are the 9.2's compatible with Win7? I didn't even think to go backwards...

I think they may be getting ready to release the new 9.5's, getting an error on the AMD website (can anyone else check?);

Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.aa088790.1242096284.7ca86df

EDIT: Nevermind, Telstra network fell over nationwide at time of posting...

Edited by davidian

I'm using Cat 9.2 and RC1. Works fine.

Do I just download the Vista x64 ones (ie. http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-9...load-2192.html)? Or are there specific Windows 7 drivers? Also, are you guys aware of some sort of post-9.2 glitch that I don't (obviously)?

Cheers!

yeh, I'm using the x64 Vista 9.2 Cats, but, there are Win7 ones, the later Cats wouldn't install properly for me (i7/P6T D'luxe/HD4870X2)

So, when my computer is up and running again I plan on wiping both my HDD's and getting Win7 RC on. It seems to be stable enough to be on my daily machine, and both my HDD's are cluttered and need a wipe anyway.

Does Win7 introduce much in the way of software RAID?

Hmm I need to get RC1... maybe AutoPano Giga will work (tried the full release - it crashes too).

It doesn't work? Hmph, I was about to give that one a go, actually.

I was surprised how smoothly the EOS Utility and RAW converter installed and worked.

Im using x64 though (neither the 32-bit or 64-bit AutoPano Giga work on my old build of W7 x64, supposedly on 32-bit they do).

Havent gotten around to RC1 yet even though its downloaded.

So, when my computer is up and running again I plan on wiping both my HDD's and getting Win7 RC on. It seems to be stable enough to be on my daily machine, and both my HDD's are cluttered and need a wipe anyway.

Does Win7 introduce much in the way of software RAID?

I'm just using the onboard RAID controller, with a tri boot system. Didn't need to install any drivers for RAID.

You probably should get the Windows 7 drivers, since it is Windows 7.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst...windows-7-64bit

If you read the previous posts, however, you would understand that the WIndows 7 9.4's don't work for me - so linking back to them doesn't really help unfortunately. As I can't seem to access archived drivers on the ATI (sorry, AMD) website, I've only been able to find 9.2's for XP and Vista, not Windows 7 specific, hence my follow-up question if I should try the Vista drivers (which, incidently, wouldn't install).

I've rolled back to the native Windows 7 driver at the moment, which I thought was working but I have since experienced crashing again.

I'll just sit tight and wait for the fully certified 9.5's to come out, should only be a few days away, hopefully they fix my issue!

Edited by davidian

OK well i'll report in.

Been using W7 for 3 days now on my new build.

i7 920 @ 3.5ghz

6GB G.Skill 1600mhz @1750mhz 9-9-9-24

DFI LP JR X58-t3h6 mATX board

PowerColor HD3850 with "ATI OVERDRIVE" set to MAX (I dont game much)

Seasonic M12 600W PSU.

So far, I LOVE windows 7. Its the first MS app ive installed and been truly happy.

No quicklaunch I hated at the start, but 'pin to taskbar' so your apps BECOME quicklaunch when you close them, is sexy indeed.

The larger DPI settings finally look decent (with my shit eyes i need them).

Stability has been PERFECT (unless I run speedfan, it crashes the 32bit DLL on my x64 machine)

ALL my apps bar speedfan have run perfectly, I didnt need ANY drivers (though installed the ATI W7 BETA GPU ones)

Being able to controll each applications volume independantly is GODSEND, it means i can max out winamp and keep PIDGIN from making "UH OH!"s at me at supersonic levels.

Shutdown times are awesome, boot up times are average at best, I hoped they'd be better. Oh well cant have it all.

Also, im using AHCI for all my drives and windows loves it. I accidentially reset my BIOS and they defaulted back to IDE, and W7 didnt bat an eyelid, reinstalled the devices, and went on its merry way.

I then noticed, changed them back, and once again it didnt care.

FUCK im happy. the taskbar I recon has taken a page out of Ubuntu's books.

Networking is fantastic, I dont know what I can really have against it. As long as they dont boat the retail release, this is pure win. Microsoft, I didnt think you could do it, but you won me back.

(32 bit apps im using happily: Opera, Winamp, AntiVir antivirus, Pidgin, Exact Audio Copy, KeyTweak, Warcraft3)

Just a note, but Vista also had independent volume control for programs, as well as high resolution icons.