spooner

Windows 7

Been using it for about a week, and I don't notice it any more, which is how an Os should be. I don't want to have to grope around for features and settings, or have problems that suggest the OS is to blame. I don't notice Windows 7, I just do the things I want to do without having to think about how to do them.

It's good.

Another day, another OS, here.

Works well. Looks nice. Resource utilisation is acceptable.

That said, I had very few qualms with vista, either...

z

I guess I should quantify my lack of "OMFGEnthusiasm".

It takes a lot for me to become excited by an OS these days. It has to be entirely revolutionary, special, and game-changing for me to go "WOW". That is not Windows 7. This is just "Hey, look. It's usable, and looks ok too!".

z

Edited by zebra

Another day, another OS, here.

Works well. Looks nice. Resource utilisation is acceptable.

That said, I had very few qualms with vista, either...

z

I guess I should quantify my lack of "OMFGEnthusiasm".

It takes a lot for me to become excited by an OS these days. It has to be entirely revolutionary, special, and game-changing for me to go "WOW". That is not Windows 7. This is just "Hey, look. It's usable, and looks ok too!".

z

Indeed.

But like Tak said, from a Windows perspective it's a lot more like Mac in that it's unobtrusive and just works the way it should.

Which is, one could argue, revolutionary :p

How is it less obtrusive than Vista?

Well, UAC is supposed to be nicer. I think it looks prettier :D

UAC seems a lot tamer.

And things just work. Install was a breeze.

Customisation was a bigger breeze.

It's fast, responsive.

I have only been using it for a few hours mind you.

UAC is adjustable in Windows 7. It was either on or off in Vista.

I still can't get around the browser shortcuts in the taskbar. It's no longer a true quick launch bar. With 1 browser open, you now have to right click and open another instance? Now 2 steps where it used to be 1. Not happy about that, even if you separate all windows in the task bar there is no longer a simple new browser icon.

Also, I've read about reducing the size of the task bar, but don't see how it works. I can make it bigger (2 levels or more), but not smaller? I'm too blind to run at the higher resolutions, but really don't need the taskbar icons so large either.

Also don't care for the start menu much. I don't want recently used programs. I don't want a blank window either. No way to make all programs show there by default?

Overall it's nice and seems much more stable than Vista, but I still think they changed some things for the worse, which didn't need changing at all.

I still can't get around the browser shortcuts in the taskbar. It's no longer a true quick launch bar. With 1 browser open, you now have to right click and open another instance? Now 2 steps where it used to be 1. Not happy about that, even if you separate all windows in the task bar there is no longer a simple new browser icon.

Middle click the running program, it'll launch a new window.

Also, I've read about reducing the size of the task bar, but don't see how it works. I can make it bigger (2 levels or more), but not smaller? I'm too blind to run at the higher resolutions, but really don't need the taskbar icons so large either.

Right click the taskbar, select 'Properties', tick 'Use small icons'.

Also don't care for the start menu much. I don't want recently used programs. I don't want a blank window either. No way to make all programs show there by default?

Right click programs you would like to show there, select 'Pin to Start Menu'.

Overall it's nice and seems much more stable than Vista, but I still think they changed some things for the worse, which didn't need changing at all.

I think it's more of a learning thing, much like the Office 2007 ribbon. Once you know your way around, it's actually better. In regards to stability, I don't see much of a difference. It's the performance and compatibility which have changed IMO.

Is the 9x/2k style start menu still available for use?

Never been a big fan of the newer one.

The only way I know to do that is to untick 'Use visual styles on windows and buttons' under System > System Properties > Performance > Settings... > Visual Effects.

But this will make the whole OS look like 2k.

Middle click the running program, it'll launch a new window.

Right click the taskbar, select 'Properties', tick 'Use small icons'.

Right click programs you would like to show there, select 'Pin to Start Menu'.

I think it's more of a learning thing, much like the Office 2007 ribbon. Once you know your way around, it's actually better. In regards to stability, I don't see much of a difference. It's the performance and compatibility which have changed IMO.

Very helpful, thank you. No doubt that there's a learning curve. I've never used the middle click before for anything.

Stability: This weekend we built 3 systems for a small business with Vista Business SP1 32 bit. While doing Windows updates, 1 of them BSOD'ed and refused to boot again. As usual, I googled fixes for the error, and as usual nothing worked. As usual, the repairs on the DVD were useless as well. Had to format and start over. On my own system I've never activated Vista, but installed it many times. I've installed both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ultimate on my system (from beta to SP1) and rarely made it to the 3 month mark before the OS breaks and refuses to boot. Understandably, anyone who hasn't had these problems is quite happy with Vista, but for me it's a fragile and unstable OS. So far no such problems with Windows 7. :-)

Edited by darklife41

Do you mean visually, or without the most recently used programs feature? Both can be turned of AFAIK.

I had thought the classic style was going to be removed from W7, apparently it's still there though.

Do you mean visually, or without the most recently used programs feature? Both can be turned of AFAIK.

I had thought the classic style was going to be removed from W7, apparently it's still there though.

Incorrect, classic start menu style is now gone.

though, its quite usable now.

push the windows key, type the start of the apps name, and the entire list will shrink to that app.

so say i wana play warcraft.

Win > type 'war' > down arrow > enter

push the windows key, type the start of the apps name, and the entire list will shrink to that app.

Vista does that...

Incorrect, classic start menu style is now gone.

though, its quite usable now.

Which is why I said AFAIK.

And yes, Vista had what you describe.

I think it is a mistake to remove the classic style however...I like my stare menu to be as minimal as possible.

Edited by TheSecret

I was the same but I am really getting to like the new menu.

It's like Gnome do really.

Though I still run RocketDock.

Edited by iamthemaxx

I'm used to using the Vista start menu..., but I'm so used to moving the mouse up and accross..., with the new menu there is a very slight pause as I work out I have to go across then up then across again. It doesn't matter..it's why I use the server versions, to avoid all the user interface crap.

The only way I know to do that is to untick 'Use visual styles on windows and buttons' under System > System Properties > Performance > Settings... > Visual Effects.

But this will make the whole OS look like 2k.

It sounds like I might be able to get by, just by removing the 'pinned apps' section.

Does removing visual effects also turn off the upgraded Aero stuff? I assumed it was all tied together but now I'm not sure, and I definitely want to get away from the GDI pile of crap that I've been stuck with for years.

It sounds like I might be able to get by, just by removing the 'pinned apps' section.

Does removing visual effects also turn off the upgraded Aero stuff? I assumed it was all tied together but now I'm not sure, and I definitely want to get away from the GDI pile of crap that I've been stuck with for years.

You cannot apply the visual style to Windows independently of the taskbar, as far s I am aware.

Edited by TheSecret

So Aero is both the new theme and UI, and the two can't be separated? Hm.

(Of course I'm talking about Aero because I know it is in Vista, and while I assume it or an updated version is in W7, it wouldn't surprise me to see something new come in before RTM)

it wouldn't surprise me to see something new come in before RTM)

Won't happen. Windows 7 is pretty much ready to ship as is. The gold master will be sent to the manufacturers in August, and OEM copies will be ready within September. Retail is expected in either September or October.

So Aero is both the new theme and UI, and the two can't be separated? Hm.

You can disable the theme, and elements of the UI, except the new style start menu.

Won't happen. Windows 7 is pretty much ready to ship as is. The gold master will be sent to the manufacturers in August, and OEM copies will be ready within September. Retail is expected in either September or October.

How can you be sure? They may yet make changes depending on the feedback from the RC, delays may happen..

Will there be an RC2 at all?

edit: apparently not

Edited by TheSecret