Sign in to follow this  
southatneil

Help with SEO Please

Hi Guys,

I'm new to seo and I have a video site that has been running for a few years now and over the last few months the traffic has dropped off quite abit.

I have been looking online to hired someone to do some SEO for the site, this is when I get a little lost.

I have seen some SEO compaines on google, but the cost is way out of my budget !!

I know you get what you pay for, but was wondering of anyone here knows where to learn about SEO or get some help ?

I found a US site, that does reports, but I do not want to waste money if it is not going to be any use webseoreport.com

Any help would be great

paying someone for seo is a chump's game... (uless you're someone like amazon or eBay)

basically, all those outfits do is give you something you can do yourself;

- super-clean xhtml,

- proper use of headings,

- plenty of relevant text content, including decent 'alt' tags on any images and paying attention to spelling,

- top-notch navigation (ie; accurate, descriptive links between pages),

- links to your site from other quality sites with related content,

- continually updated content,

- an error-free sitemap.

don't get too hung up on meta tag 'keywords', although a handful of pertinent ones won't do any harm. also, submission to every known search engine no longer proves much (once again, it certainly won't hurt).

there are several no-no's, too - things such as keyword bombing, 'spamming' your own pages with repetitive content (including camouflaged keywords), tons of meaningless links from unrelated sites, will actually cause google to penalize you and if bad enough, drop right out of their system altogether.

have a look at similar types of sites to yours, particularly the ones that rank highly in the popular search engines and see how they've put their pages together for ideas. at the end of the day, what you're really paying a 'professional' seo outfit for is their analytics, more than anything else - and you should be able to do that on your own, with a bit of research. i don't doubt a lot of them will blind you with science, as it's a blurred line between the essentials of seo and their mumbo-jumbo sales pitch...

edit - still can't spell to save my life :o)

Edited by GTAV6

The reason it's so expensive is because it's similar to branding - you're paying for them to spend a lot of time analysing the best way to optimise your particular site for your needs.

The webseoreport.com site looks like it offers fairly generic advice.

As with almost all web related things (and in most of life) you generally get what you pay for.

edit: It's worth noting I also agree with GTA V6 somewhat too, there are an awful lot of generic places that do what you could do yourself if you have the know how.

Edited by superfireydave

The reason it's so expensive is because it's similar to branding - you're paying for them to spend a lot of time analysing the best way to optimise your particular site for your needs.

The webseoreport.com site looks like it offers fairly generic advice.

As with almost all web related things (and in most of life) you generally get what you pay for.

edit: It's worth noting I also agree with GTA V6 somewhat too, there are an awful lot of generic places that do what you could do yourself if you have the know how.

Thanks guys very helpful, I know you get what you pay for, but sometimes it is just way out of my budget :-)

Anyway thanks heaps for you answers, I have ordered a report, as $70 bucks is worth a test, they tell me the report is due today so will let you know how I go.

I guess I need to research as much as I can, and work on my own SEO.

Cheers

Your advertising strategies usually form the basis of your brand building. If you are not able to get the desired traffic on the website, you won’t get good results. Even I am using the professional services of the a company and having way too good results. Their strategies are white hat based so we are getting great benefits for a long term.

Coordinating your actions and developing unique strategies is important when you have a franchise or multi-location brands, that's something that comes with experience usually. The thing is that even if you're gonna promote through social media, you'll get the best results only by using automation services with features like scheduling. Organizing became much easier for me with this social media management software for small business. Here's the <link removed>